Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 03:41 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Update...Neuropsych Report

Hi all

It's been quite sometime since my last post and since I've been here too actually...

I've tried to focus on "getting better" and too really get a handle on all of this for myself...and I feel like I've made some progress...

I don't have the report in my hands (yet)...it's due in the mail by tomorrow..but I did want to share the "results" as I was told by my Atty...

I am presently "completely disabled." Now, that wasn't what I perceived of my final visit with the Neuropsychologist, but that's where I am at. For now.
He did recommend followup with a Neurologist and Psychiatrist, for that I am grateful. I realize it's still a long road ahead of me before I actually GET treatment due to the pace of the WC system....

HOWEVER, as to NOT allow this to bring me down...I have taken steps to keep myself motivated I have signed myself up to take a certification exam in August to be a Certified Case Manager and have amazed myself taking practice exams and scoring very well...my brain wants to work, it takes me a little longer, but my intelligence has gone unscathed and for that, I will be eternally grateful

I have found definite triggers of my symptoms, and am doing my best to work through them, instead of avoiding the trigger altogether. Exercise seems to trigger a headache, dizziness and extreme fatigue...so I am now pacing myself and resting afterwards and am finding that I'm not on my back for the entire next day...!!

My mood seems better, I don't feel as anxious or angry...but I am still not "me"...not even close. But I will continue to remain optimistic and I will hopefully continue to feel better and stronger and muddle through all of this to a complete recovery...someday I'm hoping...

I will say that I had one episode of extreme dizziness one evening about a month ago...I began to sweat and thought I was going to pass out...I sat on the floor in the middle of my kitchen and after a few minutes, it passed. I had a horrible headache and went to bed shortly after...the next day I woke up for the very first time since my injury with OUT a horrible headache...and have gone without since...until today lol...but I had a whole entire month free of excruciating pain and it was wonderful....I feel it working it's way back, but I am hopeful that I will know pain free again )

Now, I wait...4-6 weeks for a hearing...then however long until I can get an actual appointment with either MD...I'm planning my vacation for July...they can work around me for once

July 21, 2010, one month after starting my new job I sustained a concussion after standing up quickly from a sqatting position and subsequently being impaled by the corner of a metal filing cabinet in to the left side of my skull. Dx. Post Concussive Syndrome.

Female, 45 years young
Mom of 3 boys (22,19,10)..Registered Nurse 16 years

Symptoms: Vertigo, difficulty concentrating, unable to multitask, fatigue, severe transient headaches..severity and location change frequently, anxiety, PTSD, tinnitus, "electrical like sensations" across the top of my head, "hot flashes", numbness and coolness to hands (worsens in A/C), very poor recall ability, processing and comprehension, difficulty finding words and completing thoughts, short term memory is awful.

~I will never give up on myself~

~I run because I can. When I get tired, I remember those who can't run, what they'd give to have this simple gift I take for granted, and I run harder for them...I know they would do the same for me <3
JulieRN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-16-2012), greenfrog (03-15-2012), Mark in Idaho (03-15-2012), SpaceCadet (03-16-2012)

advertisement
Old 03-18-2012, 02:40 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Julie,
Thanks for sharing the update from your Neuropsych Report. I haven't had mine yet...but it's going to be scheduled soon from what the doc says.

It sounds like you are on the right track by keeping yourself motivated.
Best Wishes

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.
HeadStrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
JulieRN (03-21-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 07:41 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Julie,

Have you received your NPA report yet?

Some of us have been waiting to hear how it went.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
xxxxcrystalxxxx (03-19-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 10:17 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Julie,

I have been wondering how you've been. It's good to hear that your getting your answers. I'm curious to see your results as well.

I am sending good wishes your way.
xxxxcrystalxxxx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
JulieRN (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Julie,

Have you received your NPA report yet?

Some of us have been waiting to hear how it went.

My best to you.

Hi Mark,

I posted the results in a seperate thread. Reading the "written words" gave me a much different feeling than hearing what my Atty. said...he's such a nice guy, I feel he "sugar coated" it for me...but the only thing I like sugar coated are my donuts....(I HAVE to keep my sense of humor!!!!)

Very, very interested in your interpretation...it means alot to me...

Thank you for your support!

July 21, 2010, one month after starting my new job I sustained a concussion after standing up quickly from a sqatting position and subsequently being impaled by the corner of a metal filing cabinet in to the left side of my skull. Dx. Post Concussive Syndrome.

Female, 45 years young

Symptoms: Vertigo, difficulty concentrating, unable to multitask, fatigue, severe transient headaches..severity and location change frequently, anxiety, PTSD, tinnitus, "electrical like sensations" across the top of my head, "hot flashes", numbness and coolness to hands (worsens in A/C), very poor recall ability, processing and comprehension, difficulty finding words and completing thoughts, short term memory is awful.

~I run because I can. When I get tired, I remember those who can't run, what they'd give to have this simple gift I take for granted, and I run harder for them...I know they would do the same for me <3
Old 03-21-2012, 09:26 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxcrystalxxxx View Post
Hi Julie,

I have been wondering how you've been. It's good to hear that your getting your answers. I'm curious to see your results as well.

I am sending good wishes your way.

Hi Crystal

The weather changes are wreaking havoc with me BIG time...I used to be so much of a Summer Girl, and now sitting in the Sun makes me feel worse
Seems as though I'm back to being frustrated...tired, headache and zero motivation...I think I'm actually starting to get used to this rollercoaster...not sure if that is a good thing or not....

You're in my thoughts often...I'm sorry to read of your recent hurdle...I'm so grateful for this thread.....:')

Female, 45 years young