Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 12:23 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Is this a symptom of the concussion or hard to tell..

It has been 3 1/2 months since my car accident. I am feeling much better-although the headaches, brain fog, confusion and memory loss are still present.

I am sure this has been mentioned before-I just can't remember.

I have an unexplained sadness. It's not really a sadness-I can't explain it. I could have a great time with friends, but after I am "empty" and want to sob. It's very upsetting to me. It's like a feeling of "doom". Is this a possible effect from the concussion-this has been happening for 3 weeks.

Thank you.
I am 53 and am dealing with PCS following a serious car accident on 12/8/11 . I am thankful that I am alive. My migraines are more infrequent now. Other symptoms include; confusion, memory loss, headaches, dizziness (only with the vise like headaches), foggy head, trouble concentrating, difficulty with word recall.
themaidquit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-18-2012, 12:54 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

TMQ,

It sounds to me like depression. Depression can be caused by dealing with the concussion.

I suggest you get a professional's opinion.

I understand the frustration and despair this can cause. I have been through these feeling and thoughts many times in the past.

It has no relation to your personal strength or will. It is the result of a bio-chemical reaction in your brain. It also does not relate to whether you are enjoying your days. It has more to do with the struggles your brain is under as you try to recover.

btw, You good times with friends could be too much for your brain in its current condition. Just because it is enjoyable times does not mean it is not exhausting to your brain.

I usually will suffer this set back the day after a busy and enjoyable day.

Please, if this continues, get some professional help. You will be glad to did.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
themaidquit (03-18-2012), xxxxcrystalxxxx (03-19-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 07:03 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Definitely sounds like depression. Many of us have experienced this.

It could be caused by the concussion (biochemically) or it could be caused by the changes you are experiencing in your life because of the concussion. In either case, please do speak to a doctor and/or counselor about it. It is nothing to be ashamed of. It is a normal reaction to the difficult things that have happened to you, and there are treatments available.

Here's a depression screening test. Sometimes it's helpful to complete this and take the results in to your doctor as a way to start the conversation.

http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/l...ion_screen.cfm

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
themaidquit (03-18-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 11:34 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Take that depression screening with a grain of salt - and talk with your health care providers. I tested positive for "moderate depression" when I took it just now and my health professionals agree that I am not depressed at all; that I am just recovering from a brain injury. I have had moments of depression over the course of the last twenty months... but it is not a typical feeling for me. Many of the symptoms of both are the same. Some people have even been accidentally diagnosed with depression instead of a brain injury and the recommendation of exercise made them worse until they were properly diagnosed.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark in Idaho (03-18-2012), themaidquit (03-18-2012), Theta Z (03-19-2012), xxxxcrystalxxxx (03-19-2012)