Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 09:53 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default not sure I have PCS - but find this forum helpful, thx!

Hello!

I hit the side of my head on furniture (what a wiener!) Dec 22 2011 and immediately knew something was wrong as I was dizzy/spacey. Went to the ER, no scans, and no real concern as i passed the follow my finger et al tests no problem. No loss of consciousness, no memory problems - nothing else "severe" like that.

I am pretty sure i have PCS, but didn't have a lot of classic symptoms, like amnesia or vomiting. So it has been very helpful reading about people's symptoms etc on here - I feel for those who had severe trauma to the head, as my mild hit has screwed up my life financially, socially, athletically for the last three months!

Symptoms since:

Dizziness - was dizzy 24/7 for the first 8 days, now it is no longer constant, just sporadic and especially when i over do it (like walk or lift anything heavy)

Headaches - almost daily, but the last month has been better. Sometimes felt like ice on my head/numbness in my head, always on the side I hit. A lot of PRESSURE - omg, it sucked! Such a pity that is going away I couldn't even sleep comfortably, and found that positioning my head would alleviate the pressure. Sometimes get migraines so bad, can't do anything but rest.

Emotional - I only cried a lot uncontrollably the first week, otherwise a-ok, which is surprising (happily surprising) as i have a long history of mood disorders.

Fatigue - slept a tonne the first week, and am still very tired all the time, but have had a lot more energy this past month (hopeful!)

Nausea - mild, more in the first month.

Tin taste in mouth - kind of like blood, so this made me crap my pants thinking my brain was bleeding or something, but it is gone now, yay!
_______

Thanks again for all your sharing - I was so worried before that I had something really wrong with my brain, but am now convinced it is PCS, which is annoying, but not life threatening! Thanks for easing my worries and for the recovery tips!
sillybrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-19-2012, 12:36 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Sillybrain (love that name)

The symptoms you describe sound like PCS although I'm not a doctor and several PCS symptoms overlap with other causes.....but that being said, it sounds like PCS.

You are lucky that your headaches have improved. I have been really struggling with dibiliating tension/migraine combo for months. I go tomorrow for the botox injections to see if they help alleviate the Migraines.

Fatigue is also really bad for me, but it is a combination of the medicine I am on as well as not being able to sleep at night.

You might find that your symptoms improve some, then seem to worsen after strenuous activity....that is normal. But it's great that you are improving!

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.
HeadStrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
sillybrain (03-19-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 04:37 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Amnesia and vomiting are some of the more rare symptoms of a concussion.

Many who suffer an impact to the head will not even notice any symptoms beyond the first few seconds or minutes until some time has passed. This can be anywhere from the next day to even a few weeks later.

This is why:

One expert suggests all impacts to the head be recorded in the patients medical records so that later manifestation of symptoms can be considered as possible PCS. Without this possible concussion in the medical record, the later manifestation of a cluster of PCS symptoms can be confusing to the doctor and patient leading to errant diagnoses.

The following International Code of Diagnostics are recommended for the patients' medical record.

2012 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 850.9
Concussion, unspecified
A violent jar or shock, or the condition which results from such an injury.

2012 ICD-10-CM S06.0X0A Concussion without loss of consciousness, initial encounter

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
HeadStrong (03-19-2012), sillybrain (03-19-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 09:59 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thx for sharing comrades, and keep hopeful
sillybrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote