Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Help!! I'm seeing specs/ dust/ pollen floating in the air???

Not sure if its related to the brain injury or not but...about a week ago I started seeing billions of specs. It looked like specs of dust or pollen floating in the air but it wasn't really there. That day, I started a new blood pressure medication and it had an adverse reaction on me...my heart was beating at 120 BPM. So, I thought the billions of specs were blood pressure related.

I ended up in the ER that night, they gave me new blood pressure medication and the spots were gone the next day.

I've been taking that medication twice a day, my blood pressure should be in check...and the billions of specs came back last night. This time they are accompanied by stars. When I'm in almost complete darkness I see things moving out of the corner of my eyes.

I figured it would be gone by this morning...and its not. So I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this and what you guys think its from? I never had visual disturbances like this before the injury.

Thanks,

Nick
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-21-2012, 11:20 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Nick,

Yeah, I call them "floaters" for lack of a better term. I didn't have them before the injury either... and I don't have as many as you do, but I think mine are somewhat larger than the ones you see... I used to see them a lot more frequently than recently... but still see them on occasion. There was a recent thread that talked about them that you might want to look for with some good advice in it (Especially from Mark - he says it has to do with brain filtering... if yours are even the same as the other people on this board experiencing it). Of course, mention them to your Dr.

"... adventures in brain injuries..." :P
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 07:19 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Try this experiment the next time you are riding down the road in a car. Play Slug Bug for a minute or so, just don't slug, just call out, Slug Bug.

Then, watch to see how long in days or weeks it takes to stop noticing VW bugs.

Once the image is indexed in the brain, the brain will notice it unless there are other over-riding images to recognize.

The research shows that it only takes 3 repetitions to start a habit. It takes at least 7 corrections to over-ride the habit. Recognizing the floaters or stars becomes a habit.

As one who wears glasses, I can get stuck noticing a speck on my glasses. It I wipe the speck off, I can usually ignore the many other specks that did not catch my attention. Ignoring the image is a learned behavior.

What is interesting is how these images can start gradually and not be noticed. Then a critical mass is reached, either in count or attention. It takes much more effort to ignore that it takes to notice.

This same ignoring skill is in need when we need to "Stop to Think." The better we get at ignoring thoughts and objects, the easier it is to Stop to Think.

This is likely the most important life skill for the PCS community to learn.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 03-21-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-22-2012), SpaceCadet (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 07:52 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

LOL, thanks Mark...that is funny (and interesting) how you explained it.

Its so true, too.

They went away earlier...but I'm almost certain they aren't always there. I have floaters and I see stars occasionally (usually when I'm stressed or I just stand up)...these are different. They are a reddish/orange color and there is BILLIONS of them and they move in unison (is that the word?).

When they are there, I can try to look for them and I'll see them...but when they aren't there, I'll try to look and won't see them. Make sense?
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:53 PM #5
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

When you think they are not there, they still are but your brain is doing a better job at filtering them out.

The brain has the ability to reallocate resources. At some times, it is using twice the processing power for visual and less for auditory or tactile.

This is why closing your eyes will help increase cognitive processing.

So, stop looking for trouble. You will usually find it.

btw, Closing your eyes is a good way to start to develop quicker "Stop and Think" skills. Later, you can work on those skills with eyes open.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-22-2012), SpaceCadet (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 05:51 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It probably is nothing more than noticing what has been there, BUT...a sudden increase in floaters, a sudden change in floaters-color, size, number, etc--can be a warning sign. A sudden increase in "stars" is a warning sign. A consistent gradual increase in "stars" is a warning sign. You should have your eyes checked by an eye doctor pronto, just to be sure everything is okay. Probably is. But if it isn't, better to catch it early when it can be handled, changed, fixed, than to wait until the real problem has developed and now it's too late. Make an appointment. Much better safe than sorry.
winic1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-22-2012), Soccergal (03-22-2012), SpaceCadet (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 06:52 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yes, I agree - check with an eye doctor. I've always had floaters and they don't bother me, but I started having bright white flashes in Feb. I ignored them but did mention a few weeks later to my dr and she told me to get in to my eye doc immediately. I got in that day and was referred to a Retina Surgeon.

Turns out I had small tears (holes) in the retina of my eyes. Zap zap with the laser and they are "welded" closed. If not "fixed", the these small holes can turn into a detachment of the retina, that's when you start to lose vision.

I'm thrilled - saved my sight in both eyes with a few zaps of a laser.

Since you're seeing colours, it may very well be what Mark is describing. But, as noted by winic1, better safe than sorry. However, it's probably not retina tears if they checked your eyes in emergency (and by that I mean, put drops in to dilate them and look through the pupil with special equip).

Good luck,

X-Soccergal
Female, 44 years old. Several concussions over the years - the first was most severe (kicked by horse), recovered well. Last 2 concussions Oct, 2009 and were two weeks apart. I attempted to return to working 12 hrs/wk (working from home), but was unsuccessful. Currently applying for medical disability.

Primary Symptoms: dizziness, light & sound sensitivity, confusion, difficulty focusing attention, headaches, depression, exteme fatigue, some insomnia and occassional speach problems - stammer, halted speach as I try to find the word or thought and using incorrect words. Trouble focusing on conversation if there is other noise around - especially other conversations.

Soccergal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-22-2012), SpaceCadet (03-22-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 04:23 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Does anyone experience a visual snow effect or flashing or persistig after images or at least heard of it in post concussion patients? I have all of these things 24/7 and it can be quite disturbing.
bobbicat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:37 AM #9
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Could also be optical /ocular migraine.

Flashes of light
Zigzagging patterns
Shimmering spots or stars

I had one at work many yrs ago, got checked out by vision dr and he said that's what is was.

http://www.webmd.com/migraines-heada...raine-symptoms
Old 08-03-2012, 11:47 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I get the stars and flashing lights I assume it's related to Occipital Neuralgia or Ataxia or maybe a mixture of both