Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Do these MRI results explain parasthesia

These are the findings from a recent MRI - There is a lot of "minor" and "possible" references which don't seem to explain frequent pain and parasthesia I'm experiencing particularly in arms (mostly when raised) and in legs when sitting.
I also get a lot of pins and needles and cramping in the fingers/hands with shooting pains down arms (like being stabbed or electrocuted) and at times in the legs particularly when standing still or sitting.
Do these results indicate the source of these symptoms or am I looking at another possible cause?

MRI CERVICAL SPINE
Protocol: Sagittal T1, T2, axial T2, T2* gradient echo sequences.
Findings: Satisfactory alignment of cervical and upper thoracic vertebrae with no
fractures identified.
Craniocervical junction is normal in position and morphology.
Cervical and upper thoracic spinal cord has a uniform calibre and signal intensity
with no findings to indicate mass lesion or demyelination.
No focal compressive cervical disc protrusion is identified resulting in canal or
lateral recess stenosis.
Mild degenerative facet joint disease is represent contributing to foraminal
narrowing as follows;
mild right C3/4, mild-moderate bilateral C4/5, moderate right C5/6, mild left C5/6,
mild left C6/7.
Pre- and paravertebral soft tissues appear unremarkable with no cervical
lymphadenopathy identified.
Impression:
· No cervical disc protrusions are identified.
· Mild multilevel cervical degenerative facet and uncovertebral joint
disease contributing to foraminal narrowings as described.

MRI LUMBAR SPINE
Protocol: Axial and sagittal T1 and T2-weighted sequences.
Findings: Satisfactory alignment of lumbar vertebrae with no fracture or pars
defects identified.
The conus is normal in position (L1 level) and morphology.
T2 hypointense disc desiccation changes are present at L5/S1 level.
There is a left paracentral disc protrusion with T2 hyperintense peripheral linear
annular tear present.
This contacts and potentially irritates the left S1 nerve root within the lateral
recess (series 10 image 16).
Mild degenerative facet joint disease is present at L5/S1 level not resulting in
foraminal stenosis.
Remaining lumbar intervertebral discs have an unremarkable appearance with no
further disc bulge or protrusions identified.
Remaining lumbar facet joints appear unremarkable with no bony foraminal
stenosis identified.
Paravertebral soft tissues are normal.
Impression:
· Left paracentral L5/S1 disc protrusion with possible compromise
upon left S1 nerve root.
disillusioned is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-03-2012, 12:03 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi -- The cervical MRI finds that you have mild facet joint disease which is basically osteoarthritis. That is what is causing the pain in the upper regions.

The Lumbar MRI shows that you have a disc protrusion at L5-S1 and that is pushing on the S1 nerve root -- that is what is causing the lower back pain.

This is a pretty good MRI -- I wish I had one that sounded like that. I'm NOT minimizing your pain tho -- believe me, I KNOW that it hurts!! I hope your doctor is helping you with pain.

Best of luck & God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:48 PM #3
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hello disillusioned

Welcome to Neruo Talk. Leesa is right about what she said. parasthesis or that pins and needles feeling with numbess can occur with spinal problems.At C-4-5 and C-5-6 you have a moderate degeneration. That can cause your arms to feel that way. I had fusion C3-7 and I had those symptoms with shocks down my arms. Lumbar effects the legs. You have a partial pressing on the nerve root at L-5 and S-1. This would account for the leg pain. One thing is in your favor, it says "moderate" If your MRI stated it was "severe" then perhaps a more intensive therapy would be involved. I hope you get relief from pain with therapy and medications. That surgical route is not easy to go through, and Avoiding it and trying everything else you can do is the way to go at first. Getting a second opinion is always a good idea too. I am sorry you are going through these back issues. None of it is fun. For the best understanding of your MRI, look up each word such as Parasthesia. Then when your doctor dicusses the termonology, you will know what he is talking about easier. Sometimes it all sounds like a foreign language. It is! I do wish you all the best as you go to find a good solution. I came here to Neuro talk very scared too, and got the information and compassion I needed to get me through. Welcome to Neruo Talk again. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Appreciative of your support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnie View Post
Welcome to Neruo Talk. Leesa is right about what she said. parasthesis or that pins and needles feeling with numbess can occur with spinal problems.At C-4-5 and C-5-6 you have a moderate degeneration. That can cause your arms to feel that way. I had fusion C3-7 and I had those symptoms with shocks down my arms. Lumbar effects the legs. You have a partial pressing on the nerve root at L-5 and S-1. This would account for the leg pain. One thing is in your favor, it says "moderate" If your MRI stated it was "severe" then perhaps a more intensive therapy would be involved. I hope you get relief from pain with therapy and medications. That surgical route is not easy to go through, and Avoiding it and trying everything else you can do is the way to go at first. Getting a second opinion is always a good idea too. I am sorry you are going through these back issues. None of it is fun. For the best understanding of your MRI, look up each word such as Parasthesia. Then when your doctor dicusses the termonology, you will know what he is talking about easier. Sometimes it all sounds like a foreign language. It is! I do wish you all the best as you go to find a good solution. I came here to Neuro talk very scared too, and got the information and compassion I needed to get me through. Welcome to Neruo Talk again. ginnie
Thanks Ginnie and Leesa, I've actually spent a bit of time looking up the terminology and exactly how each part relates to my symptoms, so it's ironic to log on and get exactly that advice It's also ironic that I feel a little more at ease knowing that there is a reason for the symptoms I'm experiencing and no Ginnie you're right it isn't fun! I initially interpreted the results as being dismissive of the pain and as not accounting for the symptoms - the information on this site alone tells me that it can. I can be very thankful though that things aren't worse - it's heartbreaking to see that so many of you are suffering tremendously. there is no denying the pain and discomfort I'm in nor is there any denying that we are all in pain and discomfort (otherwise we simply wouldn't be here looking for support - we'd be out living life to the fullest!) I'm realizing that pain is such a complex area - even the medical profession seem to struggle with it. I am certainly not going to head down the path of professing that my "pain" is any better or worse than anyone else's (seems like a ridiculous sort of competition - who really want's to come out on top there ???). I guess i was concerned that the results invalidated things and maybe i was imagining it all? because of that i wasn't suffering enough, therefore I couldn't say (or wasn't entitled to say) i was having a bad day or that the pain was driving me up the wall to the point I had had enough . On a site like this where so many are in a really bad way i am really fearful i may offend those who are far worse off clinically.
I really appreciate you welcoming me in and treating me with dignity and respect - I hope that your day is pain free and the best it can possibly be. and thank you so much for the advice. Craig.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:52 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
Hi -- The cervical MRI finds that you have mild facet joint disease which is basically osteoarthritis. That is what is causing the pain in the upper regions.

The Lumbar MRI shows that you have a disc protrusion at L5-S1 and that is pushing on the S1 nerve root -- that is what is causing the lower back pain.

This is a pretty good MRI -- I wish I had one that sounded like that. I'm NOT minimizing your pain tho -- believe me, I KNOW that it hurts!! I hope your doctor is helping you with pain.

Best of luck & God bless. Hugs, Lee
** Leesa going off your profile it sounds like you have really been put through the wringer on more than one occasion! congrats for making it this far ...you are clearly a survivor and built to last. I wish my results were all you had to deal with but you are right its still gonna hurt, pain is very much a daily occurrence for me, some days are worse than others but the show goes on regardless
I went back to the physio today who gave me his gold star award for the worst muscular spasms (traps, rhomboids, deltoids and scapulae) that he's seen in a long time. apparently its not an award that's easy to win (good when they mix a bit of humor into a painful situation! - laughter is the key to surviving if you ask me - definitely helps me to get through!) other than the spasms and the standard lower back ache i only had a few pins and needles to deal with today. No significant nerve pain (which i now know is radiculopathy - thanks to google) to deal with, so that makes it a good day! I really hope that yours has been the best it can be also! Any time you want to scream out and have someone listen ...feel free to message me, I'd be happy to listen and be there for you. (same goes for you Ginnie - if you happen to read this!)
all the best and god bless!

Last edited by Koala77; 04-04-2012 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Neurotalk guidelines
Old 04-04-2012, 05:36 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey Craig ~ You poor thing~ Muscle spasms SUCK! LOL Those can hurt something awful - I don't have to tell you that tho. Gosh, I've had them wake me up out of a sound sleep -- what little sleep I get, that is. LOL I hope your doc gives you something for the spasms if you have them all the time. I don't like taking meds, but if I HAVE to I will!

And that "standard" low back ache can really wear on you after awhile. At first it seems like you can stand it -- but after it goes on for years, you want to pull your hair out! Maybe that's why mine is getting thin???

I sure hope your pain is under control - or that the therapist GETS it under control. Keep us posted on your progress, ok? Take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote