Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Meds which one to try...

Hi, I'm on the same roller coaster ride as everyone else, was doing a bit better 2 weeks ago (but not even close to symptoms free) but then did too much (it's cumulative) and now back on the low ride with symptoms much worse once again.

Has anyone had any luck with antidepressants? specifically Cipralex (Lexapro)? My other option from the neurologist is Topamax. My problem with Topamax and there are lots of side effects including dizziness which is one of my primary symptoms.

thanks
Valleybob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-03-2012, 12:17 PM #2
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi Valley Bob

Hi bob, even when you take these meds. sometimes they have to be adjusted if you get symptoms or they don't work that well. I tried several. The one that helps me is Zoloft. I get no side effects, and it did reduce anxiety and depression up to a point. It doesn't take away my medical conditions, but it helps me to cope better. I have been on this for about 2 years. I wish you all the best. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:26 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

The various anti-depressants work differently for each person. If your neurologist only uses the two you mentioned, you may need to seek out another doctor. Some psychiatrists and neuro-psychiatrists will have an understanding of a broader range of meds. The AD drugs that also have good anti-anxiety effects can be of value.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:47 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yes I think I'm going to try the cipralex first for anxiety relief. The topamax may remove the headaches and pressure but then I may do too much and not know till the symptoms are much much worse.
Valleybob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:03 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

topomax sucks, maybe if you have a headache it is good, but for TBI... ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleybob View Post
Yes I think I'm going to try the cipralex first for anxiety relief. The topamax may remove the headaches and pressure but then I may do too much and not know till the symptoms are much much worse.
July63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:25 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

SECOND VOTE FOR ZOLOFT! My hubby has had relief using Zoloft, too. He has GREAT success using it for headaches - also says it helps with "brain sloshing / flips".

Tried to "wean" him off last month... Got down to 12 mg and headaches returned with a vengence - also, anxiety became an issue. Back up to 25 mg at night (down from 100 mg in Feb) and seems to be coping well.

Also is on 300 mg Wellbutrin in the morning (helps with depression, anxiety and gives energy, I believe).

Are you taking supplements too? Hubby started seriously taking them in January and I think they are helping too.

Praying for wisdom for you...

Wife of 54 year old hubby who sustained TBI January 2011 downhill skiing.

Hubby is: Machinist, off work since injury. 70% of the time feels really, really rotten (better! Used to be 99% of the time) 30% of time he just feels bad but can push thru to do something.

Current Symptoms: Light & noise sensitivity, brain fog (lessened by Zoloft), extreme fatigue, balance issues (walks with cane), cognitive problems (slowed & more difficult thinking), overwhelmed easily. Difficulty falling asleep but then could stay asleep for 12 hours or more
(Uses CPAP machine while sleeping due to apnea NOT caused by TBI)

All symptoms increased by stress, fatigue & crowds. Jostling movements (walking briskly, bumpy rides) are VERY bad & cause severe set-back

Seems to help: Taking 150mg Zoloft at night for symptom control, especially helps with "brain flips / swishing when walking" and brain fog (helped). 300 mg Gabapentin (100 3xdaily) for headaches (works pretty well. Minor headaches are eased by combined Acetaminophen & aspirin). Xanax for anxiety, but also seems to slow the overstimulation feeling when out-and-about. Feels best while lying down (vertical position seems to bring on symptoms)

Misc: Clear EEG, clear MRI'S (2 of them). No cut, bump or bruise after accident - all damage internal
Oddly enough, he's not bothered at ALL by tv
Praise the Lord he has NO difficulty driving.
AllAmericanAmy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 12:36 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Here's a good resource to look at different patient's opinions of medications they are prescribed: http://www.askapatient.com/
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (04-04-2012), HeadStrong (04-04-2012)