Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 07:49 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question Neuro Psych Results

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I was diagnosed with post concussion syndrome following an automobile rollover accident. I was recently diagnosed with a range of visual disorders that are related to brain injury.

I had a neuro psych exam a few months that was ordered by my insurer. I have received a copy of the exam, which includes the specific tests that were completed, but the results are listed as low-average or slightly insufficient. I thought the results would have included an actual score so I could understand where I truly fell on the ranges. Should the results have included scores?

The majority of the tests that I scored low or insufficient on were visual related. The carrier is trying to deny access to therapy for the vision disorders.

I just want access to treatment that may help me get back on track.
CrashBandicoot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-06-2012, 01:00 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

You the should be able to request actual results report. The abridged report is often sent to the patient to prevent the patient from getting upset.

Do you have an attorney representing you? Your report should be available from him/her.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
CrashBandicoot (04-09-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 11:38 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My initial neuro psych evaluation included percentiles on some tests but not others. It included things like:

"On the RAVLT patient freely recalled 5, 8, 10, 9, and 8 of possible 15 words... patient has had relatively poor across-trial recall consistency and was uncertain of the words he had said versus not said.
On the WCST the patient completed 2.9 conceptual categories (11th to 16th percentile). He made 27 errors (T=33), 21 of which were perseverative (T=21)."

This was followed by Impressions and Recommendations sections.

There is a book on this subject if you are intersted in details:

http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Neu...3730155&sr=8-3
What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
CrashBandicoot (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 08:56 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you. This is helpful. I do have an attorney, but didn't hire one until this little fiasco. Another lesson learned on this journey.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:15 AM #5
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Crash, I hope you found an attorney who understands the issues of concussions and mTBI or as one expert attorney calls it, Subtle Brain Injury.

There is a serious need to have an attorney who knows how to sort through the BS many defendant's insurance company's attorneys through up.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:02 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Totally agree with Mark's comment - you need someone who can stand up to that BS. The key is finding a smart, assertive, reputable, practical, detail-oriented, highly competent lawyer who knows the law in this area inside out. I hired one early on (trying to be proactive rather than reactive) and they have been a big help so far.
greenfrog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:19 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I did find a lawyer who has represented athletes with similar issues. I'm hoping that will get me what I need. It's hard to really know what someone understands, especially this early in the process.

I'm trying to remain positive and hopeful, while also acknowledging that the vision diagnosis puts me in a different position than I thought I was.
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (04-17-2012)