Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 07:51 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Amantadine for Brain Injury

I just saw this blog post that talks about Amantadine being used now for Severe Traumatic Brain Injury:

http://headachedrugs.com/column/old-..._campaign=feed

I was on this drug right after my injury for about 2 months, but it was making me very (foggy headed). Was supposed to help concentration.

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.
HeadStrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-05-2012, 09:25 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Im actuall taking it right know. Just started about 3 weeks ago. Im taking it for concentration issues. Instead of Ritalin. I have noticed if its helping, it may take sometime. I go back to doc next week and will ask how long it takes to work. I think my headaches are worse on this med. I will give it some time and see what happens.

Lumbar fusion L4-S1 Mastergraft May '10
Cervical fusion C4-C5 Plate Feb '11
RT Hip Arthroscopy Labral repair using 2 anchors and Microfracture surgery May '11
LT Hip Arthroscopy Labral repair with anchors Feb' 12
MTBI, Headaches,Vertigo,Fatigue,concentration,fogginess, and memory
just not right is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:10 AM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Amantadine has been mentioned in the past. If it is used for concussion or cognitive issues, it is an off-label use. The problem with it is many of the side-effects are also symptoms that are caused by concussion.

NIH lists it this way: Amantadine is used for Parkinson's Disease and also as an anti-viral drug.

Amantadine may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

blurred vision
dizziness
lightheadedness
faintness
trouble sleeping

If you experience any of the following side effects, call your doctor immediately:

depression or anxiety
swelling of the hands, legs, or feet
difficulty urinating
shortness of breath
rash

Six of ten side-effects are common to concussion.

Doctors who use drugs to try to force improvements with concentration are off base in my opinion, and based on the research I have done. The brain needs to rest to recover.

Treat the head aches and anxiety. Let the brain recover to regain concentration. But then, many doctors seem to be trained to treat the patients' complaints, not their injury.

I found some of the original article abstracts.
The patients studied were in various stages of coma with very few able to follow any verbal commands such a list your arm The improvement observed was a shortening of the time until wakening. It did not show any improvements in outcome after recovery.

It works be slowing the dopamine process so that dopamine stays active for a longer period.

Here is http://sciencenordic.com/flu-drug-he...tients-recovermore of the article :

If Dr Robbins had read the article more thoroughly, he would not have made the comment " The obvious question… can amantadine work for mild head injuries as well."

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 04-06-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark,
I have had pcs for over 3 years know isnt my brain done healing? Im taking amantadine for my concentration problems. I was taking ritalin. On amantadine only side effect i have noticed so far is worse headaches then i had before. They seem to be getting better. I think my concentration is getting better little by little. Which is different from ritalin where it hits you all at once, like a burst of caffeine all day long. Was tough to sleep when i was on ritalin. It seems i need something to help with my concentration issues.

Lumbar fusion L4-S1 Mastergraft May '10
Cervical fusion C4-C5 Plate Feb '11
RT Hip Arthroscopy Labral repair using 2 anchors and Microfracture surgery May '11
LT Hip Arthroscopy Labral repair with anchors Feb' 12
MTBI, Headaches,Vertigo,Fatigue,concentration,fogginess, and memory
just not right is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote