Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 09:32 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default The big crash vent

Sigh. So, I've been healing well the last few weeks, feeling more myself, thanking my lucky stars for a supportive family, starting to get back into my "old" life. And...BAM!

My previously supportive husband confesses in a yelling tirade that he's sick & tired of "carrying all the weight" and that I should just get on with life. He resents having to do extra & care for me when he "gets nothing in return." Now, the particular day thiks happened, I was congratulating myself of 5 solid days of keeping up with housework, laundry, and cooking actual meals for the family. I hadn't forgotten an appointment or scheduled item for over a week or missed a day of work in 2 weeks, either.

I felt awful, and spent the next few days in a funk, but worked out of it and started again. But, I over extended myself at some point, and crashed to a point I haven't felt in over a month. Brain fog, anxiety, insomnia, etc. I haven't changed my sleep habits or meds, and have continued to see my doctor.

I know this is temporary, I know it's not unusual (given my condition!), and I know it will get better. But I'm just wrecked. Usually, I'd count on my husband to help me through, but I'm obviously not comfortable there. So, I just thought I'd spew out my troubles to an understanding community. Thanks.
leebeemi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-10-2012, 11:32 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

It sounds like you got floored by <My previously supportive husband confesses in a yelling tirade that he's sick & tired >

A 'yelling tirade' is cause for being messed up for a week or two. The chemicals that start flooding the brain from that kind of stress and over-stimulation will take quite some time to clear and normalize.

He would never take a baseball bat to your head but this tirade is just as damaging.

Wish there was something we could do to help.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
leebeemi (04-11-2012), Soccergal (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 02:37 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm sorry this happened to you.

EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
leebeemi (04-11-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 03:19 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

This just breaks my heart. He "gets nothing in return"?? Did he specify exactly what he is expecting "in return"? I sincerely hope you two will be able to work through this, and he can be more patient and understanding of you and your PCS. Sounds like he was trying hard but reached a breaking point. If only it could ever be that simple for anyone -- just "get on with life". *sigh* life does go on, but the world as we knew it is gone and it will never come back. Do you have a doctor, or psych, or counselor of some kind to talk to? If not, it sounds like you need maybe a family counselor, ask your doctor or case manager to help find one to help you two figure out your new post-TBI roles. I pray he'll be open to this, for the sake of his (your) whole family. Best Wishes to you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Sigh. So, I've been healing well the last few weeks, feeling more myself, thanking my lucky stars for a supportive family, starting to get back into my "old" life. And...BAM!

My previously supportive husband confesses in a yelling tirade that he's sick & tired of "carrying all the weight" and that I should just get on with life. He resents having to do extra & care for me when he "gets nothing in return." Now, the particular day thiks happened, I was congratulating myself of 5 solid days of keeping up with housework, laundry, and cooking actual meals for the family. I hadn't forgotten an appointment or scheduled item for over a week or missed a day of work in 2 weeks, either.

I felt awful, and spent the next few days in a funk, but worked out of it and started again. But, I over extended myself at some point, and crashed to a point I haven't felt in over a month. Brain fog, anxiety, insomnia, etc. I haven't changed my sleep habits or meds, and have continued to see my doctor.

I know this is temporary, I know it's not unusual (given my condition!), and I know it will get better. But I'm just wrecked. Usually, I'd count on my husband to help me through, but I'm obviously not comfortable there. So, I just thought I'd spew out my troubles to an understanding community. Thanks.
MommaBear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
leebeemi (04-11-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 11:53 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sorry to hear this. We all know that we need support. Just a thought, I wonder if he saw you doing so much better? And then maybe figured, well look at what she can do if she just tries hard. I must say, my husband has had these thoughts and has made the observation that I seemed ok on Monday, so what's the problem now? Sigh. It's so difficult to get them to understand.

My hubby also thinks it's his job to kick my butt and push me. Grrrrr, I finally explained to him that there are times where I just need him to show some empathy or at least an attempt to understand!

Good luck to you!

XSoccergal
Female, 44 years old. Several concussions over the years - the first was most severe (kicked by horse), recovered well. Last 2 concussions Oct, 2009 and were two weeks apart. I attempted to return to working 12 hrs/wk (working from home), but was unsuccessful. Currently applying for medical disability.

Primary Symptoms: dizziness, light & sound sensitivity, confusion, difficulty focusing attention, headaches, depression, exteme fatigue, some insomnia and occassional speach problems - stammer, halted speach as I try to find the word or thought and using incorrect words. Trouble focusing on conversation if there is other noise around - especially other conversations.

Soccergal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
leebeemi (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 08:33 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Im so sorry that happened to you. Thats just ******. Yes stress like that is so damaging. Maybe if you show him this thread he'll get it. My husband has been great but he is human and does have some problems once in a while. I'm 10 months in this battle.

Last edited by Kitty; 04-11-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: NeuroTalk guidelines for language
xxxxcrystalxxxx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
leebeemi (04-11-2012), Soccergal (04-12-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 09:53 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you ALL. Sometimes it's so nice to hear from those that get it, you know?

My husband is an addict. He's been clean & sober over a decade, but it's in his personality. He has extreme difficulty expressing what he perceives as "negative" feelings--anger, frustration, sadness, resentment, etc. So, he bottles them up until they explode. It's something we've been working on for awhile. So, while I've been leaning on him in the role of caretaker, and feeling very blessed by it, he's been building resentments. He also doesn't like dealing with "negative" feeling from others, so...well, that goes nowhere.

And I am normally a volatile personality, both up & down, happy & angry. The PCS has made me a bit more unpredictable & emotional. I am also the one that normally keeps thing running smoothly in the family, defusing potential problems, evening out bruised feelings, etc. Yes, I am a recovering enabler.

But just because I KNOW it, doesn't mean I can deal with it. And I do--and will--talk about it in therapy. He's not always real open to doing so, though, so we'll see. The real issue is that after he says something like that, he says he didn't "really" mean it & I should move on. Often, he plays victim because I should know what he "really meant." He feels wronged because people are trying to tell him "how to feel."

Gah! I'm tired, I'm stressed, & I want my mommy. Of course, I'm a 43-year-old adult with a husband & kids. I AM the mommy! Anyone feel like running away to a tropical island for a little quiet beach time with me?

Thanks again, all. You've helped more than you could possibly know (or any of us will remember, anyway ).
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (04-11-2012), Soccergal (04-12-2012), xxxxcrystalxxxx (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 10:07 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have thought about running away (some place warm with Palm trees) many times lol
Thanks for saying it out loud

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.
HeadStrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:30 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadStrong View Post
I have thought about running away (some place warm with Palm trees) many times lol
Thanks for saying it out loud
The island of Vieques in Puerto Rico, in a village called Esperanza, with chickens & horses running around free--there are beaches where you will find NOBODY, unless you want to, and wonderful people who will sell you fried plantains & octopus salad when you are hungry...THAT'S my happy place, and where I will go when (if?) I run away. It's scarily specific!
43-year-old female, final blow leading to PCS occurred Jan 2, 2012, when I hit my head on the edge of the car door, hard enough to chip the paint. Felt "okay" for a couple of hours. Then headache, dizzyness, nausea, etc., hit hard. Diagnosed as "concussion & contusion" first, then PCS a couple of weeks later. Lasting symptoms: persistent brain fog, enhanced depression & anxiety, intermittent dizzyness, mild constant headache (where a full-on migraine is a 10 level pain, these are about a 3). I also have trouble remembering faces/names, am easily confused, and can't read choral music (!). My worst issue is that I often dream that I do something, but don't realize it was a dream--this is causing issues in my job.

Am on the feeling better/crashing roller coaster now. Take 10 mg of Elavil per day which has helped a great deal.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Soccergal (04-12-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 10:41 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sounds awesome! I hope you get to go sooner than later..... even if it's a short lived "run-away" lol

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.
HeadStrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
leebeemi (04-11-2012)