Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Help with MRI findings

Hi all,
I am new here, and I am desparate for help from someone to explain to me my daughters MRI's.
In August of 2010, my 14 year old daughter was hospitalized after loosing all feeling in her left leg, and a disk tear which ended up with a goose egg on her back filled with fluid.
She had a set of 3 spine injections over 3 months at that time, which helped for about a year. She ended up with cushings symptoms, and so we have not had them done since.
Weve had 2 MRIs done in 2010, and 2011. She is now going to see a neurosurgeon at U of M Motts childrens hospital.
She is barely moving anymore, and cannot keep up. She lives at pain level 6-8 everyday.
I am hoping I can find someone to help me understand her MRI's before we go. I have done alot of reading, but feel like I need someone to give it to me in plain english.
Anyone out there that can help me, I could re-type the findings.
Thanks so much in advance...
Scared mom of Abbey Elizabeth...my little ray of sunshine!
kmg3333 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-11-2012, 09:57 AM #2
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg3333 View Post
Anyone out there that can help me, I could re-type the findings.
You're welcome to do that, (and it's good that you're getting & keeping all records) but we're not doctors here, and if your daughter's doctor did not explain it to you in language/terms you can understand, s/he should have, and I think it's reasonable to call, ask for, and get an explanation.

You might also become acquainted with the Medical Dictionary link at the very top-right of every page here. That's how many of us learned this stuff, along with google, wiki, mayo, and other medical sites.

We must all become our own/loved ones' best advocates.

That said, I'm sure anyone that can help you here will. (Wish I knew more - I'm learning myself!)

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default MRI findings on my 14 year old

Thanks for the response...I have decided to post her most recent MRI, done 2/2011 (prior one was 8/2010)
Keep in mind as you read, this all started with no injury, at age 14. I was called home from work because she could not get off of the floor, and lost the use of her left leg, She had a set of 3 steroid shots in L5-S-1 when that happened and her first ever MRI. She ended up with cushings disease symptoms, and so no shots since. She has tried traction, hours in PT and lives now at pain level 6-9 everday. She is just now turning 16.

FINDINGS:

Anatomic alignment of the lumbar vertabrae is appreciated.
The vertabral body heights are preserved
The intervertebral disc spaces show degenerative signal, more pronounced at L3-4 and L5-S1 levels.
Broad based disc annular bulge is present at L2-3 level and midly flattens the ventral aspect of thecal sac.
At L3-4 level asymmetric to the right disc annular bulge with focal central disc protrusion is noted.
There is a mild narrowing of the central canal due to described disc bulge.
At L4-5 level broad based mild disc annular buldge, with suggestion of small central disk herniation, protrusion type.
At L5-S1 level asmemetric to the left disc annular bulge with left foraminal extension is noted. There is mild interval retraction of the voluminous component of the disk bulge that was present in the left paracentral location. There is slightly less pronounced left foraminal component of the bulging disc annulus. The disc annular bulge still mildly flattens the ventral aspect of thecal sac, abuts and mildly flattens the left S1 in the superior lateral recess. The left neural foramen is mildly narrowed at the entrance. The right neural foramen is within normal range.

IMPRESSION:
1. Further interval decrease in signal intensity and height of the intervertebral sic at L5-S1 level. Progressive dehydration of the disc material at L5-S1 results in mild retraction of the left paracentral component of the dic protrusion that was present on the previous exam in August 2010. The disc annulare bulge and the left paracentral broad based disc protrusion are less voluminous.
2. Asymmetric to the left briad based residual disc protrusion and mild osteophytic ridging of the endplates flattens the ventral aspect of the thecal sac and left S1 at the level of superior lateral recess. No evidence of significant central canal compromise. Mild narrowing of the left nueral foramin.
3. Mild narrowing of the central canal at L4-5 level. Mild bioforaminal narrowing, slighly grater on the left, at L-4 level.

*also noted on 8/2010 MRI was a left S-1 Tarlov cyst, not noted on this MRI*

Can anyone help me decipher in english, exactly what is happening to my child>?? I will be eternally greatful for anyones help/advice.

Worried mom of Abbey Elizabeth......
Old 04-11-2012, 06:37 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sure you can type the MRI findings and we can TRY to explain it to you. But as Dr. Smith said, we're not doctors. We've just learned the terminology from experience ourselves.

So you're welcome to put it here, and we'll try to help. Take care & God bless. And I'm SO sorry she's having so much trouble! But Mott's is the BEST place to go! I know! Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dr. Smith (04-12-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 06:48 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank - You for the reponses, I am so glad I found this site...I have been reading and researching for 2 years, and still do not get why this is happeing to my child.
Bless all of your hearts for being here!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:43 PM #6
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hello Kmg

I just wanted to welcome you to Neuro Talk. I read the results of your daughters MRI. In this case Your doctor should take the time to talk about each verterbre addressed. I would have to do the same thing as you, look up each word "google" that will give you the basis understanding of that language. In your daughters MRI, I have not heard much of that termonology before. If your doctor cannot say it in english, insist upon it, or please find another neruologist. To be in that kind of pain at her age must be terrible for you as a parent to watch. I hope they can do more for your daughter than what is currently being done. I really do wish you all the best for your daughter. Leesa is one of the best on NT to try and understand the findings. Let us know what happens. I will be here to talk to any time you may have a need. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:51 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Its been a battle for us, and each day brings a new or strange symptom. We are being schedule this week for an appointment with a Neuro Surgeon at Motts Childrens Hospital, part os University of Michigan. I do not feel I can talk with her doctors here anymore. Because of her age, and where we live (rural) no on here has any experience with pediatric spine disorders. Basically, I am stuck until we can get her in at Motts. Thas why I posted, as I just need some level of understanding. I have been using google and other resources, its so exhausting.
I really appreciate everyones responses....
Old 04-12-2012, 04:44 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ I'll try to decipher this. LOL I'm going by the "impression" at the bottom.

There is drying out of the disc at L5-S1, which causes retraction of the disc protrusion and it's less voluminous. Disks dry out with age, but she's a little young for this to begin happening. Some of us have it happen sooner than others tho. ????

The ventral aspect of the thecal sac is flattened. The thecal sac is the membrane of dura matter than surrounds the spinal cord & the cauda equina. The thecal sac is filled with cerebral spinal fluid. Also, the left neural foramen is mildly narrowed. The neural foramen is the hole in which the nerves pass thru to the spinal cord.

There is mild narrowing of the central spinal canal at L4-5. There is mild bioforaminal narrowing also slightly greater on the left at L4.

I hope this is helpful. Remember I'm not a doctor. Please let us know what you find out at Motts! You'll be in our prayers! God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 06:52 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you so much lee, I am hoping Motts will be able to tell us why this is happenening to her. Theres got to be some process going on in her body that we have not found yet.
Thing is, I get the bulges and disc stuff, just not the "narrowing" I am assuming some stenosis???
Also, the "why" and what to expect factors...
Old 04-12-2012, 10:08 AM #10
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi kmg

I sure hope you get some results at Motts too. I will keep you and your daughter in my prayers. It is very hard to watch your child suffer. Please come back here anytime you need to. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote