Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 08:34 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default back to work too soon?

My injury was Feb 3 and I have been off work until yesterday, it didn't go well. I am on a 4 hour shift - neuro said only 4 hours - my boss started the day with a review of the past year, everything I've done wrong. My headache got worse, I could see her mouth moving but was unable to process what she was saying. When she gave me paperwork it was confusing, couldn't make much sense of it, I had to ask several times during my shift for repeated directions. At the end of the shift I walked out sobbing with a headache that felt as though I was going to have a stroke -- we need the money so going back to work is important, but not sure about the timing. Any advice??? Forgot to say that my job is extremely stressful and the work environment is toxic.
dhope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi dhope,
So sorry to hear how your first day backn to work went. It doesn't sound to me like nyou should be back already...you are still very early in your recovery. I would talk to your Doc and if they are not understanding...get another opinion.

It also sounds to me like your work may be building up a case in which to fire you, why on earth would they start your first day back with a review of everything you did wrong the last year?

Is this a workman's comp injury? Either way...talk to your doc to get you back out of work so you can recover. And talk to your ATTY to protect yourself.

Keep us updated, and best wishes to you.

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.
HeadStrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Wow! Very sluggish Brain day for me.

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was in the same boat as you. I am a workman's comp. case. They sent me back and I spiralled to a point where ten months later I'm still fighting. I would say get to your doctor asap. Walk out if you have to. It's crucial to rest, rest, rest.

If you need to go to the emergency room so all this can be documented if you cant see your MD.

I tried for awhile to stay at my work because I was stubborn and I was trying to tell myself I was ok...and I wasn't.
xxxxcrystalxxxx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:37 PM #5
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

dhope,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Sorry to hear of your bad day.

As others have said, rest is important.

Introduce yourself and tell us about your injury and the struggles you are having. There are lots of good people here who can support you.

Were you injured at work?

What state do you live in?
There are different resources available in each state.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:14 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[Thanks for the support - I fell in the parking lot at work slipping on some ice that I did not see. I hit the back of my head, was in and out of consiousness for a while, hurt my back and neck. I have ringing in my ears, dizzy, insomnia, and ... I have been denied workmans because I was on my way into work, I wasn't working. I work for a major healthcare company in
Wa state. I was given 60 days fmla however am feeling that I should have take at least 90, but without the paycheck life is getting a bit difficult. I find that I am only able to process a low amount of stimulus, then my head feels as though it is under lots of pressure, I almost feel as though my brain is going to blow a fuse. I can't remember much of anything (short term), I get confused easily, cranky, and really sad. I have a graduate degree as well as post graduate training and feel unable to preform the simplest tasks required for my job, it seems as though my i.q. has fallen through the floor. as well as the rest of my life!

QUOTE=Mark in Idaho;868886]dhope,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Sorry to hear of your bad day.

As others have said, rest is important.

Introduce yourself and tell us about your injury and the struggles you are having. There are lots of good people here who can support you.

Were you injured at work?

What state do you live in?
There are different resources available in each state.

My best to you.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-12-2012, 09:28 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I don't know the laws in your state, but I would suggest you confer with an Attorney. You mayhave a claim anyway since you fell due to ice in the parking lot. What does everyone else think?

I am adding this paragraph that I just found on another site:

"Generally, this kind of scenario is covered by workers comp. Leave the decision up to the Claims Adjuster. Your employer is not the claims adjuster. You aren't the claims adjuster. If your employer won't file the claim for you, then you'll have to call the work comp company and file it yourself. The adjuster will then determine (based on state laws and case law) whether or not it's work related. If the adjuster denies the claim, there should be an appeals process at which point you may want to consider an attorney.

Even though your employer cannot do anything about the ice, that doesn't protect them from liability for a work comp claim. Work Comp is a no-fault system. It pays for disability benefits and medical treatment when an employee is injured at work regardless of fault. The pharse "at work" is typically extended to more than just between the hours of 8 to 5."

Again, I'm not sure if it applies to your state, but it is worth checking into.

"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 10:21 AM #8
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default dear Dhope

I want to welcome you to Neuro Talk. You will get alot more compassion here than you did at work that is for sure. Your boss stating all the negative on the first day back is really nasty to do to you. I know money is important, but so is your sanity while you are recovering. Working in a very toxic environment is bad under the best circumstances. With an injury, this could delay your improvement. I would go for a second opinion about returning to work, or this job anyway. I know how hard jobs are to come by, but this place you work for doesn't seem to have any kind of compassion. What ever happened to "Glad to have you back" Or "how are you doing"? Can you tell me what kind of place you are working for? I also agree with the other post, it kinda sounds like they are building up a case to dismiss you. I sincerely hope your doctor will help out. Of course come back here anytime, we will be here to listen. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:48 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Unfortunately I have been denied workmans comp -- my accident happened in the parking lot of my office before I was actually working. I have been denied and have repealed but the decision still stands. I took yesterday off because my head hurt too bad. The best way I can describe the feeling is that not only is there pain but it feels as though I am going to blow a fuse -- that my brain is at max. compacity. I am getting scared and very depressed, this does get better,right??? My brain will get better, right? I have wanted to get my doctorate but now am wondering if I could pass 1st grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnie View Post
I want to welcome you to Neuro Talk. You will get alot more compassion here than you did at work that is for sure. Your boss stating all the negative on the first day back is really nasty to do to you. I know money is important, but so is your sanity while you are recovering. Working in a very toxic environment is bad under the best circumstances. With an injury, this could delay your improvement. I would go for a second opinion about returning to work, or this job anyway. I know how hard jobs are to come by, but this place you work for doesn't seem to have any kind of compassion. What ever happened to "Glad to have you back" Or "how are you doing"? Can you tell me what kind of place you are working for? I also agree with the other post, it kinda sounds like they are building up a case to dismiss you. I sincerely hope your doctor will help out. Of course come back here anytime, we will be here to listen. ginnie
Old 04-13-2012, 09:55 AM #10
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi Dhope

I am so sorry you were denied WC. This does happen to alot of people. You will get better, but it is my understanding it does take lots of time. The depression and hopeless feeling does come with this kind of injury in many cases. If you can get back to the doctor and see about a medication for depression while you are healing. I think the Toxic environment isn't the best place for you. what kind of Job do you do? Keep reading the TBI posts here and place questions about your recovery to the forum. We want to be supportive of you while you go through recovery. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote