Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 05:43 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default TBI Medications need info

Hello All
I am seeing a nuro now who has prescribed medication and I wonder what this combination is suppose to do. The doctor has not been forthcoming with the results of the MRI and the EEG as of yet. but has loaded me down with these meds on top of the high BP meds I was taking. has any one taken this combo for there TBI in some ratio? I am dealing with the health department who is now my PC And this nuero is again not very helpful telling me what is going on with my health and pain among all the other issues I am dealing with.
thanks.( brain Fart) oh I don't suffer from allergy's nor congestion And was wondering if the mucinex was suppose to do something else? Additional None of these medication seem to address the other issues that I suffer from .Like Behavioral, emotional, memory, light sensitivity, smell, hearing, vision and sound sensitivity. they do however seem to focus on the pain from the headaches and my body. but are doing little to help with that as well. can any one guide me in the direction to address these concerns.
Struggling in Florida. oops need to update my profile. any help or guidance would be greatly helpful and appreciated your fellow sufferer Doug

BUTALBITAL/ACETAMINOPHEN/CAFFEN (FIORCET).
NAPROXEN 500MG.
LORCET PLUS 10.MG
AND MUCINEX 600MG Pseudoephedrine
dougieflave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-12-2012, 05:59 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I can't speak to that entire combination, but I did take the first one for a while, and naproxen as well. The first medication did ok with headache pain, and I had been taking the naproxen for arthritis already, and the docs said it would be good to keep it up in case any swelling in my brain decided to show up. Loricet is another pain medicine, I believe, though of a different variety as the butalwhateverthehell. Now Mucinex, thats a new one, I have no idea why a neuro would proscribe that.

In general my experience is that neuros suck for helping us. Do you have other options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougieflave View Post
Hello All
I am seeing a nuro now who has prescribed medication and I wonder what this combination is suppose to do. The doctor has not been forthcoming with the results of the MRI and the EEG as of yet. but has loaded me down with these meds on top of the high BP meds I was taking. has any one taken this combo for there TBI in some ratio? I am dealing with the health department who is now my PC And this nuero is again not very helpful telling me what is going on with my health and pain among all the other issues I am dealing with.
thanks.( brain Fart) oh I don't suffer from allergy's nor congestion And was wondering if the mucinex was suppose to do something else? Additional None of these medication seem to address the other issues that I suffer from .Like Behavioral, emotional, memory, light sensitivity, smell, hearing, vision and sound sensitivity. they do however seem to focus on the pain from the headaches and my body. but are doing little to help with that as well. can any one guide me in the direction to address these concerns.
Struggling in Florida. oops need to update my profile. any help or guidance would be greatly helpful and appreciated your fellow sufferer Doug

BUTALBITAL/ACETAMINOPHEN/CAFFEN (FIORCET).
NAPROXEN 500MG.
LORCET PLUS 10.MG
AND MUCINEX 600MG Pseudoephedrine
Scott in Fenton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:59 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Dougie,

I have the fiorcet. I do use the Fiorcet as needed for headache/tension like pain. It works well. Im not so sure about the other medications. I would say try it and see if it works, if not back to the drawing board. My MD told me that he can keep throwing medications my way and see what works. What works for me may not for you.
xxxxcrystalxxxx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:18 PM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

dougie,

You have some strong meds in the mix.

LORCET PLUS (Acetaminophen, Hydrocodone) is a strong pain reliever. The hydrocodone needs to be seriously respected.
The BUTALBITAL/ACETAMINOPHEN/CAFFEN (FIORCET) starts with a barbiturate and finishes with caffeine. Again, a drug that needs to be seriously respected. My doctor was opposed to using the caffeine as it is an excito-toxin. Its impact on the brain during recovery is not good.
The Naproxen is another pain reliever that works by effecting hormones that cause inflammation.

The combined total of acetaminophen from the Loricet plus and the Butalbitol needs to be considered. 4000 mgs or more per day of acetaminophen can become toxic to the liver. The mix of an opiate and barbiturate sounds questionable. have you talked with the pharmacist about these meds.

The Mucinex and pseudoephedrine are just a expectorant to help the lung clear mucus and decongestant help the sinuses drain (decongestant) I agree with you that it does not sound like they have a reason to have you taking the last two.

Are you struggling with severe head aches or just the garden variety of head aches that are annoying?

I use acetaminophen and add aspirin to it when I have the more intense head aches. My doctor has prescribed the combination as safer than the stronger drugs you area taking. Maximum doses of aspirin and acetaminophen give very good pain relief, similar to acetaminophen with codeine.

Avoiding the caffeine should be a serious concern.

Maybe the doc thinks you are having sinus head aches.

Many find that they have muscle spasming coming from their upper neck that contributes to their head aches. If you are tender to pressure behind the ears, you could benefit from therapy to relive the muscle tension, possibly an upper neck adjustment/traction.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:55 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark
The headaches that I have never stop. I think that they are called cluster headaches. cause they move around in my head.Had some surgery last week and while in post op, on what ever pain meds that they were giving me in combination to the oxygen . is the last time in over two years that I can recall not having some sort of headache. not to mention my bp was normal, 120/78 pulse 85.( had to fast and did not take the bp meds prior to my surgery) all doctors that have seen me said high bp was normal for my age But prior to my accident I did not have high bp. so for the most part my high bp is as I have told the doctors , due to the pain in my head. so I am also on high bp meds which I dont want to take either. Man I tell you one thing I am at my whits end with this crap since. I am on the public dole. I don't have many options. this injury is responsible for me loosing every thing of any importance in my life, and now I feel that I am getting the run around..
Forgive me if my ranting is uncomfortable was not meant to be .thanks for the imput it was nice to hear from a fellow sufferer

You have some strong meds in the mix.

LORCET PLUS (Acetaminophen, Hydrocodone) is a strong pain reliever. The hydrocodone needs to be seriously respected.
The BUTALBITAL/ACETAMINOPHEN/CAFFEN (FIORCET) starts with a barbiturate and finishes with caffeine. Again, a drug that needs to be seriously respected. My doctor was opposed to using the caffeine as it is an excito-toxin. Its impact on the brain during recovery is not good.
The Naproxen is another pain reliever that works by effecting hormones that cause inflammation.

The combined total of acetaminophen from the Loricet plus and the Butalbitol needs to be considered. 4000 mgs or more per day of acetaminophen can become toxic to the liver. The mix of an opiate and barbiturate sounds questionable. have you talked with the pharmacist about these meds.

The Mucinex and pseudoephedrine are just a expectorant to help the lung clear mucus and decongestant help the sinuses drain (decongestant) I agree with you that it does not sound like they have a reason to have you taking the last two.

Are you struggling with severe head aches or just the garden variety of head aches that are annoying?

I use acetaminophen and add aspirin to it when I have the more intense head aches. My doctor has prescribed the combination as safer than the stronger drugs you area taking. Maximum doses of aspirin and acetaminophen give very good pain relief, similar to acetaminophen with codeine.

Avoiding the caffeine should be a serious concern.

Maybe the doc thinks you are having sinus head aches.

Many find that they have muscle spasming coming from their upper neck that contributes to their head aches. If you are tender to pressure behind the ears, you could benefit from therapy to relive the muscle tension, possibly an upper neck adjustment/traction.[/QUOTE]
dougieflave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

If you have high blood pressure, there are some bp meds that also work well for headaches as well, so you could kill two birds with one stone. Such as a beta blocker (ends in olol). I am also on fiorinal....which is very similar to fioricet, except it is aspirin instead of acetaminophen. I usually take the fiorinal with tylenol (so its the aspirin/tylenol) mix that mark was talking about. I dont notice any type of sedative effective from the butalbital and the small amount of caffeine in the med doesnt seem to bother me at all. Hoping you find relief from your pain soon.
Suffered a TBI with PCS on April 25th 2011 from multiple blows to the head from falling, unconscious for 12 hours with no memory of event. Hit the back of my head, and above right eye. MRI and CT negative. Symptoms included constant headaches (migraine, pressure, tension, icepicks), dizziness, tinnitus, visual changes, photophobia, fatigue, "spacing out", word finding difficulties, depression, and emotional lability.
Began Healing in November 2011 after starting acupuncture and Healing Touch (a nurturing energy therapy that promotes relaxation and pain relief). I went back to work in February 2012. Ive been symptom free since July 2012. Very happy, positive, energetic and working out every day, doing yoga, and living a normal life again!
I also began taking Healing Touch classes in November 2011 and completed 5 Levels of Healing Touch Certificate Program that included a 1 year mentorship to become a Healing Touch International Practitioner in June 2013. I am so pleased to offer this wonderful healing therapy to my patients, friends, and clients.
nightnurse30 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote