Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 01:56 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Am I ok to exercise even though mentally I am not there yet?

Last week i got the go ahead to start doing cardio from my vestibular therapist. I have felt pretty good doing light weightlifting and cardio since then. I do notice though that psychologically I am not 100% yet. I still feel a little depressed and I get very angry at little things I wouldn't usually get angry at. Should I wait until this clears to start working out or can i workout and that stuff will go away with time?
penguinsfan7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-13-2012, 02:23 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Personally, if that were all that happened to me when I was a little active I would go for it! I imagine the exercise will help you a great deal in ridding yourself of any depression or a lack of control in emotions.

I think the signs of overdoing it physically when recovering from a brain injury and needing to pull back are things like: a degrade in cognitive functioning, a degrade in speech and speaking ability, dizziness, an increase in foggy-headedness and a decrease in the ability to balance your body well or safely.

Have you asked your physiatrist?
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (04-14-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 03:32 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

penguinsfan,

I agree with EsthersDoll. If exercise is not causing the symptoms she mentions, there is no reason to not try exercise.

On the other hand, the outbursts are something you need to learn to control. You will find more improvement as you learn to recognize the triggers to your outbursts. This will be a life skill that will pay big benefits.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 08:11 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

There is research that shows people with brain injuries who exercise regularly actually have less symptoms and better cognitive function. Of course, talk with your therapist or doctor to find out what the best and safest exercise would be for you. Its also healthy for you and can decrease depression.

Begin with just a little at a time and gradually increase.

Exercise away. Its good for you.

Nick
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (04-14-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 04:42 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Definitely go for it, as long as the exercise itself is not causing symptoms to worsen (it sounds like it isn't). In my experience the main symptom to watch out for is 'light-headedness/dizziness'.

I have found exercise incredibly helpful, since I was able to start doing it I think it's really sped up my recovery.

FYI evidence is stronger for aerobic/cardio exercise (eg an exercise bike) than for anaerobic exercise (eg lifting weights) in terms of being beneficial for the brain. However there is some limited evidence for the anaerobic exercise as well.

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:59 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
Definitely go for it, as long as the exercise itself is not causing symptoms to worsen (it sounds like it isn't). In my experience the main symptom to watch out for is 'light-headedness/dizziness'.

I have found exercise incredibly helpful, since I was able to start doing it I think it's really sped up my recovery.

FYI evidence is stronger for aerobic/cardio exercise (eg an exercise bike) than for anaerobic exercise (eg lifting weights) in terms of being beneficial for the brain. However there is some limited evidence for the anaerobic exercise as well.
Thanks,
Yeah i notice if I start to go a little to hard in weightlifting, I will start to get the lightheaded feeling. Is that a red flag to stop?
penguinsfan7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:39 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinsfan7 View Post
Thanks,
Yeah i notice if I start to go a little to hard in weightlifting, I will start to get the lightheaded feeling. Is that a red flag to stop?
From what I've read, that is one of the signs that you need to stop. Don't go too hard in weight lifting. Keep at whatever level you are doing - it will at least keep your mescles toned.

For those of us who are used to working out, this is very hard to do - "no pain, no gain", right? But it's not good for our brains. We have to stop when our brain gives us a subtle sign to stop.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dolfinwolf (04-18-2012)