Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 04:21 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default 17 year old son MRI results diagnosis "L3 pedicle bone marrow edema/stress injury"

My son is a 17 year old high school senior, lacrosse player.
- Several weeks ago he re-aggravated his lower back taking a random lacrosse shot at goal. Iced, rested and treatment from the athletic trainer which was stretching exercises and active release therapy over the course of 2 weeks. No real relief.
- Went to D.O. who suspected spondylolysis. My son plays football in fall - original back injury then from hyper-extension which got better with rest and "treatment". Apparrently, spondylolysis is common in football players (and gymnasts). X-ray came back clear.
-last Thursday D.O. gave trigger point injections, prescribed muscle relaxers, prescript pain meds. Son played lax game that same day. Not good idea - could barely walk off the field. Pain that had been manageable was now at a level that rendered him almost immobile
- Called D.O. who said that injections don't normally cause this intensifying of pain. I wonder though - I saw him put the needle in both sides, move them around, I guess to shot the meds around the area. After he massaged to spread medications and then a few release therapy moves. ANyway, the whole lower back was obviously traumatized. D.O. recommended MRI as soon as possible.
- By Monday, my son was feeling much better. Played in game on Tues and yesterday at his normal level of intensity, not feeling any worse for wear
-MRI done 2 days ago, 5 days after injections.
- discussed results with D.O. today. No indication of fracture. Not spondylolysis. However there is bone marrow edema L3. The bone is stressed. Not fractured but stressed. Prescrip for physical therapy to strengthen core, increase mobility. Needs 3 to 6 months of rest - no contact sports.
So that is the background. I came home to start my own on-line research. Here are my questions from that research:
1. From what I have read, "bone marrow edema" is not, in and of itself, a diagnosis. Is this correct?
2. MRI has different levels? T1 and T2 which will reveal different things? Do all MRI's always include both levels?
3. I really want a second opinion. I am not comfortable that the MRI has truly identified what is going on. The "diagnosis" of "pedicle bone marrow edema" supports my suspicion because an edema is not a diagnosis. It is symptomatic of something going on? Maybe?

thoughts or info would be much appreciated
ECNJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-13-2012, 04:39 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I think edema can be a diagnosis in some ways, but also a symptom, and there is also the "what caused it".

Is your son very upset about the no contact sports rule?

It will be much better in the long run if he can accept this and go along with it, long term & chronic injury is not fun at all.
Hope he can find other positive activities to keep him occupied.