Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 11:22 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default depression

It seems as though things are getting harder rather than easier -- I cry lots, get frustrated easily, sound and light bother me, when I am frustrated I have trouble with word find. My accident happened Feb 3, slipped on ice, hit the back of my head. To be honest there are some days that I think about driving the care into a tree -- I wouldn't do that becausee of my children, but I still think about it. I am already on anti-depressents, what wise words so you have???
dhope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-16-2012, 01:53 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

dhope,

Have you asked your doctor about trying a different anti-depressant?

You will be surprised how a different med may help. Different systems react differently.

Since you were denied WC, have you contacted a personal injury attorney? If you can find a good slip and fall attorney, you may be able to get some financial help, at least eventually. Failing to sand and de-ice could be a negligence on the employer's part.

You will actually have better financial recovery under personal injury/premises liability law than under WC law.

Here is an attorney link http://www.wainjurylaw.com/library/s...gton-state.cfm

You want to make sure an attorney has good knowledge of brain injuries.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:25 AM #3
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Please speak to your MD. Head injuries heal so slowly, but perhaps he can help you find avenues that will help you find hope. Someone to talk to? a medication to help the brain fog?

You said you have kids, have you taken time out to take care of you? Allow them to go on play dates with other families or even your family while you heal? Sleep, and rest is so important when allowing your brain to recover. Its a slow process, but thats exactly what it is, a process. Frustrations, and aggravations are part of that.

Be kind to yourself. Dont push yourself till you are so tired you cant think. Have you see the butyoudontlooksick.com spoon theory? We are all given an alloted amount of energy units to get thru the day (spoons) and if you run out...its hard! Sometimes we borrow from tomorrow to get thru today. Try to use some brain teasers or cross words, or read stories, but dont push yourself past the point of frustration. Just a bit of practice each day. even a puzzle with the kids can be fun, and help to retrain your brain.

Tons of helpful stuff out there, I hope more folks chime in with ideas. ((hugs))

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:11 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Depression is very common with TBI/PCS. In addition to Mark's suggestion about having your meds evaluated, talk therapy may be useful. Talk in general is good, as long as the other party in the discussion is aware of your feelings and understands your concerns. Controlled breathing/relaxation my help. Think about the good things in your life (you mentioned your kids) and make a gratitude list. I still get depressed but I found these little things were (and still are) helpful.

What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 12:21 PM #5
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi dhope

I sure do know about depression. Hang in there. I am going through the same kind of stuff, though with a different medical problem. Can't stop crying, and sometimes just loose hope. Lets just both hang out here at NT to get the support we need, to just put one foot in front of the other, one tiny bit at a time. I care about you, and I know there are people on this site who care about me, and maybe that is enough to get us through these times of sorrow and depression. You are not alone. I am here too, struggle sometimes just like you do. I come running back here, that is the truth. By talking to each other, it lifts the others burden just a bit. WE will get well, both of us. We just have to be patient, and keep working toward that goal. Write to me any time. I will be laid up a good month without being able to walk. I'll talk to you anytime you need. We really arn't alone dhope. Friends here will reach out to you. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lightrail11 (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 01:09 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Beautifully said ginnie!

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.
HeadStrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 01:56 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Also: you are early on in your recovery; there is a good chance you will get substantially better over time.

In the meantime, be sure to discuss the issue of depression with your doctor (and maybe seek a referral to a neuropsychiatrist skilled in helping people with TBIs). And take good care of yourself: get adequate sleep/rest, good nutrition and supplements, minimize stress, avoid overexertion/overstimulation, etc. There is lots of good support and info on this site.
greenfrog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (04-16-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 03:53 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I think you should be prepared that as you get better, you may be able to better analyze how bad off you are. That happened to me continually for many months and it really made me feel bad emotionally. I still have issues with how long this process of recovering from one concussion has taken me - I'm more than 20 months out from the injury I sustained.

Just try to focus on the good things in your life. I don't know what they are, but I'll give you a few:
-You have children you love.
-You're not worse than you are.
-You're not in a coma.
-Statistics are in your favor that you'll be doing MUCH better in just a few months or less.

I know it's a lot of change in a very short period of time and that's not ideal for any human being - even if it were change that were desired.

Be compassionate with yourself. You're recovering from a brain injury and that's a big deal. Give yourself some time to get better. Take it easy. Rest.

Trust me, I know how hard this process is. It's not easy. My prayers are with you.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (04-18-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 09:32 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Is it normal to have moments of depression several months after a tbi? Moments of frustration? Sorry if I'm in the wrong thread
mufc09 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:57 AM #10
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

mufco90,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. You came to the right place for help with a TBI.

Yes, you can go up and down with depression after suffering a concussion/TBI.

There are a number of ways to help smooth out the roller coaster ride.

Introduce yourself and tell us about your struggles. There are lots of good people here with good ideas.

The most important way to recover from a TBI is to limit over-stimulation and improve your nutrition so your brain can detoxify and start to heal.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (04-18-2012)