Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smirk Any suggestions?

I was wondering if there are any tips anyone might have for trying to increase exercise level. Right now I can tolerate about half an hour moderate paced walk, but any more after that usually leaves me dizzy, fatigued, and a bit short of breath. I want to have the benefits of some kind of exercise and know walking is okay, but was hoping to increase my stamina a bit. thanks!
Dolfinwolf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-16-2012, 09:17 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

There is a PCS exercise protocol we call the Buffalo protocol. It does not even start returning to exercise until 6 weeks after the injury. You are just beyond that point. It uses a return of symptoms as a limit to exercise. It actually reduces pulse rate to soimeth9ing below that where symptoms return.

You are already pushing too hard. You should back off a bit and take it slower. There is no way to push through your return of symptoms.

btw, You could have combined your two posts.

It does not sound like you are quite ready to return to work. The busyness of a Startbucks is going to be a big challenge. The FMLA allows for 12 weeks of leave to recover from a serious health condition. Your job should be protected for a few more weeks, even though Starbucks said 60 days.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:31 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you Mark! because I am new to forums and even computer stuff I dont know how to combine the posts...heehee im sorry! But thank you for advice I always enjoy the information you have and find it useful. I agree about pushing too hard...sometimes well intentioned family members help with that although I know it is my responsibility to myself. Will keep on with recovery...thank you again!
Dolfinwolf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

If your job told you 60 days, you need to get on the phone with them, ether your manager, your manager's manager or Human Resources, and actively start FMLA. It doesn't come into effect until you sign a little paperwork or officially ask it to be in effect.

I don't know how you sustained a concussion, but if you have an attorney, they should be able to handle it for you. And if you don't have an attorney and you're afraid of dealing with such issues, you might benefit from hiring one.

EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dolfinwolf (04-17-2012)