Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Cool I drove!!!!!!!!

After 2 years and 4 months I was back behind the wheel!! I drove myself to the store!

I was super anxious and scared but determinded to be independent. It may have only been a 2 mile trip but I'm over the moon!
mbrook is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (04-17-2012), EsthersDoll (04-17-2012), Lara (04-17-2012), SpaceCadet (04-16-2012), tamisue (04-17-2012)

advertisement
Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

That is GREAT news!!! I'm so glad to hear that you achieved a milestone like that. Now, don't go pushing yourself...Make sure you ease into things to avoid a relapse. I don't want your next post to be about how horrible you feel after driving for 10 miles LOL.
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (04-17-2012), EsthersDoll (04-17-2012), Lara (04-17-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 11:16 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Congratz on driving! That definitely is a HUGE improvement in my opinion. Keep up the good work =D and i Second Nicks opinion on taking it easy.
PlasticMonkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (04-17-2012), EsthersDoll (04-17-2012), Lara (04-17-2012), SpaceCadet (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 08:28 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Way to go! I can't imagine what it would be like to not drive for 2 years ands 4 months. It has been 6 months for me, and I have just been given the "go ahead" by my doc to start trying to drive around my neighborhood.

I can relate to you being excited, but also scared and wanting your independence back! Did you notice how your processing speed was? Just wondering as that has been a big issue for me.

Congrats to you!

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.
HeadStrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (04-17-2012), EsthersDoll (04-17-2012), Lara (04-17-2012), SpaceCadet (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 AM #5
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default Yay! Well done.

Gosh, How I understand that feeling.

mbrook. Well done! That is a HUGE step. Gotta keep pushing ourselves. Little by little, step by step. I get scared about going out there on the road or into busy places. I don't want to fall again. I stopped driving for a long time after my concussion but now live in a fairly quiet area so I just play it by ear... day to day. See how I feel. Sometimes I push myself. Not a bad thing.

You should be very proud of yourself under the circumstances.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (04-17-2012), EsthersDoll (04-17-2012), SpaceCadet (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 10:43 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Congratulations!!!

I was unable to drive for over a year - I couldn't imagine having to wait for more than 2!!! I'm still not able to drive long distances or on the freeway, and I've been driving regularly since Nov '11 and 5 days a week since Dec '11. But I do notice that I'm able to drive more safely, I feel like I'm more aware of what's going on around me and that makes me more confident. It's going to take more time and more healing before I'm able to drive more than I am now - but I'm hopeful that will happen someday.

Baby steps. (Maybe we should call them brain injury steps?)
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (04-17-2012), SpaceCadet (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 02:18 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Reason to celebrate your continued progress.

I was only about 6 months for me and I remember being nervous... I had to take the behind the wheel test like I was 16 again

Congratulations on your progress and your inspiration.
What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-17-2012, 05:35 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

yay! Good for you! The last time I was at the doc last week I asked, in jest, if I could start driving again. I know that I can't, but the independence would be fabulous (we live 6 miles from town).

I am very happy for you!

wife and mother of 5 (18, 13, 11, 7, 5)
was: design professor, farmer, and had been studying masters in herbalism and doctorate of naturopathy before accident. now: practicing patience.

What happened: Feb 5 2012 passenger in a single MVA which flipped over end and then rolled 3-4 times. Dx with moderate concussion and released. Dx with PCS a few weeks later

Dealing with: temple to temple headaches, nausea, tinnitus, extreme noise sensitivity, light sensitivity, vertigo, short term memory issues, concentration, become overwhelmed easily, word-finding, stuttering, confusion, sleep issues (falling/staying asleep), fatigue +++

Prescribed: Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Physical Therapy, and rest!!!
emme727 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-17-2012, 10:58 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

heheheheh-CONGRATS!!!! Man, I thought three months was bad....
Lara (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 11:01 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadStrong View Post
Way to go! I can't imagine what it would be like to not drive for 2 years ands 4 months. It has been 6 months for me, and I have just been given the "go ahead" by my doc to start trying to drive around my neighborhood.

I can relate to you being excited, but also scared and wanting your independence back! Did you notice how your processing speed was? Just wondering as that has been a big issue for me.

Congrats to you!
HeadStrong-

Any problems with peripheral vision? I feel like everyone is in my lane. Now, I live in Charlotte-and this could be the issue, but I feel like I might be overcompensating-I always feel like AND in my defense-a lot of people are driving over the line.
Lara (04-17-2012)