Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 11:09 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Memory Strategies

Just thought I'd share some memory strategies that I've been practicing throughout my rehabilitation experience. This is actually a list that was pulled from the internet and edited by my speech pathologist.

* Maintain a consistent routine.

* Keep everything in the same place so that you know where to find things.

* Give information in several ways: verbal, written, demonstration, pictures.

* Limit the amount of information given at one time.

* Designate a bag or back-pack in which to keep matierials that go to and from work/school.

* Ask for photocopies of notes or information.

* Regularly summarize and repeat information.

* Record important information and dates into your phone calendar/planner. Set alerts to remind yourself.

* Ask those close to you for verbal reminders of upcoming significant events.

* Repeat or rephrase directions to confirm them.

* Always use external aids such as note, memos, daily schedules, and "to do" lists.

* Categorize, associate, rehearse, and/or chunk information.

* Audio or video tape important things, such as Dr. appointments and important meetings and/or conferences.
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.

Last edited by SpaceCadet; 04-21-2012 at 01:09 PM.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dolfinwolf (04-23-2012), GlassHead (04-21-2012), HeadStrong (04-21-2012)

advertisement