Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 01:42 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default pain pump nightmare

Hello Everyone,
I am brand new here, and would like to thank all of you for your posts concerning back problems. I am a 47 year old male with 5 back surgeries to date. 4 Lumbar, and 1 cervical. My problems started in 1999, and in 2005, I had an interthecal pain pump installed in my right stomach area. The pump has worked fine over the years, but the past 2 months have been a nightmare.
About 6 months ago, I started seeing a new pain doc. I live in Missouri, but my new wife lives in Florida. So we are spending the winter here, before moving back to Missouri later this summer.
On my first visit to my new pain doc, he noted that my eri on the pump was ate April of 2012. At the time, he said he
was not concerned about puting a new pump in right away, as the pain pumps are designed to last for months past the ERI
date. I thought that was a bit odd, but trusted my doctors opinion since he was the expert. On March 22 I had an appointment with my doctor to have my pump refilled. When he started his readout of my pump, he must have been alerted to the fact that my battery was set to expire at the end of April and that we needed to get this done right away. I was a little alarmed by his sudden concern, because of the severaL occasions when he told me we were in no hurry. So I went ahead and scheduled my pump replacement procedure for April 9th. The next day I was on the road back to Missouri with my wife and step kids as they had started their spring break. On the drive up...I noticed I was extremely tired, flushed and on edge. I chalked it up to the long drive and the pain I was in. A couple of days later, I got a cal from my pain clinic advising m, I decidede that I needed a psych eval before they could the replacement. I told the lady on the phone that I had already had a psych eval that was required when I had y initial pump installed, and as far as I knew....was not required to have one for a replacement. Four days and many phone calls later, I was getting nowhere and it was decided that the procedure on the 9th would have to be postponed until I got back to Florida, and went to see them in person. On the day we were set to drive back to Florida, my wife and I decided to leave me at the house in Missouri because of the long drive, and how horrible I was feeling. Fortunately, I was able to find an extremely cheap
flight back to Florida for the 12th of April. On 3 April, my pump started to alarm. It was a long tone alarm that is a warning. I had been feeling better, so I chalked it up to the fact that my ERI date was coming up at the end of April.
The alarm kept going off once an hour. Between April 3rd, and the April 12, I kept getting sick, then better....sick....then better. It felt like I was going into withdraw for a day or two...then I would feel fine. I flew home on April 12, and went to the doctors office first thing the next morning. The doctor checked my pump and said it was working fine. He turned off the alarm, but warned me that we needed to get the pump replaced as soon as possible. He also apologised for all the back and forth phone calls I had to make to his admin office, and said he didn't know what was going on. I told him that I would be more than happy to take another psych eval, if that would hurry the process up. So I made an appointment on the 16th for a psych eval at their min office downtown in Tampa. That night I started to feel horrible, and my alarm started to go off every 10 minutes starting around 3am. At this point I was starting to get scared as my body started to go into complete withdraw. (If you have ever gone through it....you know how horrible it is) I cancelled all of my engagements for the weekend and first thing Monday morning, my wife had to drive me into the main office for my psych eval. The eval was just a formality, but I told the doctor that I was critical alarming, and could he please have someone check it out before I left. I had two people try to read the pump, but they could not get it to respond to the device they use to read it. They asked me if If I could wait for awhile, as they wanted to call the the medtronic rep to come out and look at it. When she got there, she was able to communicate with the pump, and said it had stopped working. She said with the model I had, there were problems with the battery, and that the reason I was getting sick the past 6 to 8 weeks was that the model I have has been known to start and stop due to a defect. She seemed very concerned and tried to see if we could possibly get the new pump installed that day. Apparently, that was not going to happen because medicare still had to give its approval and they still had not done so. The rep then told me that she was going to turn off my critical alarm, so it wouldn't keep me up all night as it had done for the past couple of days. She also said that I had an appointment at 8am the next morning with my regular pain doctor in order to figure out what oral meds to take until I could get my new pump in. I told the rep that they might as well take me to the emergency room as I would not last another night in complete withdraw, nor would I put my family through it. She ws able to get another pan doctor that worked at the main office to write me some prescriptions to deal with the withdraw, and cover the pain meds I would have received from the pump. I went home, and around 11pm that night, started to feel better. Around 3am, I woke up to the sound of my critical alarm going off again. I thought that was strange because the medtronic rep told me she had turned off the alarm. I fell back asleep until my wife woke me up at 7am to get ready for my appointment. At this point, I felt completely out of it. We make it to the doctors office, and when they take my vital signs, my wife and I were shocked that my blood pressure was 105/63. When the doctor started to probe the data in the pain pump, he said that the pump was working again. This meant that I now had way too much medication in my body, and that explained why my blood pressure was so low. I was over dosing because the pump was sending me meds, as well as the oral meds I had been taking. My doctor then turned off the alarm, and programmed the pump to only give me approximately 1% of the medications that I had been receiving from it. He told me to continue with my oral meds, and we set up an appointment for Monday, April 23 to have my new pump replaced. Today is the day before the surgery, and I still have no idea if Medicare approved the procedure. This whole week has been a roller coaster trying to stay ahead of the pain, and keep the dreaded withdrawls away. The thing that makes me most angry about this incident, is that I found out that last summer, the FDA and Medtronic put out a class 1 recall for the Synchromed 2 pump, and specifically, for model 8637-20..(thats the one I have). I wrote this novel because all of us in the pain community have enough problems as it is. It is bad enough that we have to battle chronic pain every day, let alone deal with all of the BS that comes along with it. If you have a Medtronic pump, pleas check your model n umber, and if you have one that is being recalled, please discuss it with your doctor. Show him this posting if you feel like it. Nobody should have to suffer the way I have the pas 8 weeks. If you have any questions, or would like to talk further...Feel free to send me a message. Peace....Chris
stlrock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dd in pain (04-22-2012), eva5667faliure (04-25-2012), Mark56 (04-28-2012), Rrae (04-23-2012)

advertisement
Old 04-23-2012, 12:02 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

no one cares about the problems we are having I start emailing EVERYBODY AND NOBODY, THER ARE TO MANY PEOPLE DEALING WITH ALL THIS BS TIME TO STAND UP AND TAKE ACTION TIME FOR A MILLON EMAILS TO THE POWER ABOVE
dd in pain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (04-25-2012), Mark56 (04-28-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 12:24 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Bless your heart!!! My gosh! WHY doesn't MedTronic have a LIST of everyone who has this pump installed???? They SHOULD have!!! And I'm sure they DO!! You should have gotten a PERSONAL e-mail from MedTronic!! There is no doubt in my mind that they know who has their pumps and stimulators installed -- each and every one!!! This is an outrage, and I'd certainly WRITE and raise CAIN!!!

You should have been notified the minute they found out there was a defect. You could have taken care of it immediately! They OWE it to their patients.

Boy, I'd be hopping mad right now. I was supposed to have a pump installed, but due to my "body type" I couldn't have it. Guess I'm glad now.

Take care -- I pray things turn out ok for you. God bless & thanks for alerting everyone! Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-23-2012, 01:25 AM #4
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
God bless & thanks for alerting everyone!
At the time I'm writing this, stlrock's avatar says it is his only post here on NT - about 12 hrs ago. Mayhaps it should have been posted to the SCS/Pain Pump forum (as well)?

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (04-25-2012), Mark56 (04-28-2012), Rrae (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 09:15 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey Doc,

Feel free to re-post this over there, or tell me where to find it. I am due to have a new pump installed in about three hours. Am I upset....you bet. I am not finished getting to the bottom of this. I will keep all of you posted along the way.

Chris
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dr. Smith (04-24-2012), eva5667faliure (04-25-2012), Mark56 (04-28-2012), Rrae (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 10:32 AM #6
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrock View Post
Hey Doc,

Feel free to re-post this over there, or tell me where to find it. I am due to have a new pump installed in about three hours. Am I upset....you bet. I am not finished getting to the bottom of this. I will keep all of you posted along the way.

Chris
Hi Chris and welcome
You posted in the forum you felt best fit your medical condition, and so there is no problem with that at all.
Other members cannot copy/ re-post your posts to another forum...only mods or admin do that. So I have copied it to our SCS/Pain Pumps forum for you
Here is the link to your thread there so that you can check for replies
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=168612

I hope things will be better with the new pump

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (04-25-2012), Mark56 (04-28-2012), Rrae (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 PM #7
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Chris

I am completely heartsick over this!
I saw your post at SCS/PainPump and responded there

Chemar gave you the link to get there. If you need to find the Pain Pump forum in the main menu, it is listed as a sub-forum in the "Medications & Treatments" section.

Please let us know how your surgery went when you feel up to it.
You've got my prayers!

Rae
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-24-2012, 12:05 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
I will keep all of you posted along the way.
Hi Chris,

I'm glad to hear that. Sometimes we never know with first-time posters - on occasion they may be trolling google, find the site, register and post something, then never return. Not common, but it happens.

I hope you will stick around - not only to update us, but your experience is valuable to others on the same journey.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (04-25-2012), Mark56 (04-28-2012), Rrae (04-27-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 06:52 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey Doc,

Not one of those guys...lol. Made it through the surgery, and I a at home and on the mend.
FYI - There is a class Action Lawsuit out right now for people in my predicament, and I was fortunate enough to receive a phone call from an old classmate of mine who is a really good attorney. He said he thought I had a case. Will I proceed down that path?? Not sure, but I will get some answers, and post them on this site in order to educate others. I believe that all of us in chronic pain, etc, owe it to each other to "pass the word" so to speak, if there are problems. The patient, sadly. is usually the last person to be told, and the least informed.

Chris
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dr. Smith (04-25-2012), eva5667faliure (04-25-2012), Mark56 (04-28-2012), Rrae (04-27-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 06:57 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Scared!

Quote:
Hello Everyone,
I am brand new here, and would like to thank all of you for your posts concerning back problems. I am a 47 year old male with 5 back surgeries to date. 4 Lumbar, and 1 cervical. My problems started in 1999, and in 2005, I had an interthecal pain pump installed in my right stomach area. The pump has worked fine over the years, but the past 2 months have been a nightmare.
About 6 months ago, I started seeing a new pain doc. I live in Missouri, but my new wife lives in Florida. So we are spending the winter here, before moving back to Missouri later this summer.
On my first visit to my new pain doc, he noted that my eri on the pump was ate April of 2012. At the time, he said he
was not concerned about puting a new pump in right away, as the pain pumps are designed to last for months past the ERI
date. I thought that was a bit odd, but trusted my doctors opinion since he was the expert. On March 22 I had an appointment with my doctor to have my pump refilled. When he started his readout of my pump, he must have been alerted to the fact that my battery was set to expire at the end of April and that we needed to get this done right away. I was a little alarmed by his sudden concern, because of the severaL occasions when he told me we were in no hurry. So I went ahead and scheduled my pump replacement procedure for April 9th. The next day I was on the road back to Missouri with my wife and step kids as they had started their spring break. On the drive up...I noticed I was extremely tired, flushed and on edge. I chalked it up to the long drive and the pain I was in. A couple of days later, I got a cal from my pain clinic advising m, I decidede that I needed a psych eval before they could the replacement. I told the lady on the phone that I had already had a psych eval that was required when I had y initial pump installed, and as far as I knew....was not required to have one for a replacement. Four days and many phone calls later, I was getting nowhere and it was decided that the procedure on the 9th would have to be postponed until I got back to Florida, and went to see them in person. On the day we were set to drive back to Florida, my wife and I decided to leave me at the house in Missouri because of the long drive, and how horrible I was feeling. Fortunately, I was able to find an extremely cheap
flight back to Florida for the 12th of April. On 3 April, my pump started to alarm. It was a long tone alarm that is a warning. I had been feeling better, so I chalked it up to the fact that my ERI date was coming up at the end of April.
The alarm kept going off once an hour. Between April 3rd, and the April 12, I kept getting sick, then better....sick....then better. It felt like I was going into withdraw for a day or two...then I would feel fine. I flew home on April 12, and went to the doctors office first thing the next morning. The doctor checked my pump and said it was working fine. He turned off the alarm, but warned me that we needed to get the pump replaced as soon as possible. He also apologised for all the back and forth phone calls I had to make to his admin office, and said he didn't know what was going on. I told him that I would be more than happy to take another psych eval, if that would hurry the process up. So I made an appointment on the 16th for a psych eval at their min office downtown in Tampa. That night I started to feel horrible, and my alarm started to go off every 10 minutes starting around 3am. At this point I was starting to get scared as my body started to go into complete withdraw. (If you have ever gone through it....you know how horrible it is) I cancelled all of my engagements for the weekend and first thing Monday morning, my wife had to drive me into the main office for my psych eval. The eval was just a formality, but I told the doctor that I was critical alarming, and could he please have someone check it out before I left. I had two people try to read the pump, but they could not get it to respond to the device they use to read it. They asked me if If I could wait for awhile, as they wanted to call the the medtronic rep to come out and look at it. When she got there, she was able to communicate with the pump, and said it had stopped working. She said with the model I had, there were problems with the battery, and that the reason I was getting sick the past 6 to 8 weeks was that the model I have has been known to start and stop due to a defect. She seemed very concerned and tried to see if we could possibly get the new pump installed that day. Apparently, that was not going to happen because medicare still had to give its approval and they still had not done so. The rep then told me that she was going to turn off my critical alarm, so it wouldn't keep me up all night as it had done for the past couple of days. She also said that I had an appointment at 8am the next morning with my regular pain doctor in order to figure out what oral meds to take until I could get my new pump in. I told the rep that they might as well take me to the emergency room as I would not last another night in complete withdraw, nor would I put my family through it. She ws able to get another pan doctor that worked at the main office to write me some prescriptions to deal with the withdraw, and cover the pain meds I would have received from the pump. I went home, and around 11pm that night, started to feel better. Around 3am, I woke up to the sound of my critical alarm going off again. I thought that was strange because the medtronic rep told me she had turned off the alarm. I fell back asleep until my wife woke me up at 7am to get ready for my appointment. At this point, I felt completely out of it. We make it to the doctors office, and when they take my vital signs, my wife and I were shocked that my blood pressure was 105/63. When the doctor started to probe the data in the pain pump, he said that the pump was working again. This meant that I now had way too much medication in my body, and that explained why my blood pressure was so low. I was over dosing because the pump was sending me meds, as well as the oral meds I had been taking. My doctor then turned off the alarm, and programmed the pump to only give me approximately 1% of the medications that I had been receiving from it. He told me to continue with my oral meds, and we set up an appointment for Monday, April 23 to have my new pump replaced. Today is the day before the surgery, and I still have no idea if Medicare approved the procedure. This whole week has been a roller coaster trying to stay ahead of the pain, and keep the dreaded withdrawls away. The thing that makes me most angry about this incident, is that I found out that last summer, the FDA and Medtronic put out a class 1 recall for the Synchromed 2 pump, and specifically, for model 8637-20..(thats the one I have). I wrote this novel because all of us in the pain community have enough problems as it is. It is bad enough that we have to battle chronic pain every day, let alone deal with all of the BS that comes along with it. If you have a Medtronic pump, pleas check your model n umber, and if you have one that is being recalled, please discuss it with your doctor. Show him this posting if you feel like it. Nobody should have to suffer the way I have the pas 8 weeks. If you have any questions, or would like to talk further...Feel free to send me a message. Peace....Chris
Chris, I hate so bad that you had to go thru what you did! I agree with you that those of us in chronic pain need to keep one another informed of things. That is for sure a nightmare what yu have gone thru. I have an appointment with Pain Management next week and a Pain pump is one of the options I believe I am lookig at, after reading your post and talking to othes I am not so sure it is the route I want to take. I have tried different other avenues and just really need some kind of relief. I would so like tofeel halfway normal again. I wish you the best. Take Care!
Lindaky is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote