Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 07:34 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Surgery date set -- June 15th

As I mentioned in my earlier post it looked like I would have to have endoscopic microdiskectomy. Well I went to the neurosurgeon again today and had my "discussion" with him. I let the doctor know that I had gotten another opinion from another neurosurgeon and talked to my PC and another internal medicine doctor. There was agreement among all the doctors I went to that surgery would be the best route and that I will only get worse, also that conservative measures would be of no help at this time (in fact more weakness and numbness in the right leg and left leg symptoms now occurring more).

The surgery is set for the 15th of June, soonest time due to length of surgery. The surgery will be at 3 levels (L2-3 and L3-4 where the stenosis is severe, and at L4-5 where it is moderate to severe) so figure a little over an hour for each level makes it a little long, though I realize many of you spent many more hours in surgery. As Dr Smith mentioned this is considered the gold standard in spine surgery at this time, so any info on this would be appreciated.

A couple of questions I have at this point include: I have done a lot of research and read a lot of forums but I have seen very few 3 level micro-d surgeries, I have seen mostly 1 level, a few with 2 levels but not 3. How will this affect my recovery or have any info on 3 level micro-d surgery? I do know that this will not be day surgery like many, I have already been told that I will be in the hospital a couple of days. The NS stated I would be out of work probably about 6 weeks if all goes well (I had hoped for a 2-3 weeks that I had seen in my research) -- does this sound right? Any other things or other information you can share would be great. The NS did tell me that it should go pretty good but he does expect weakness to remain for a bit and I will need PT to strengthen my right leg back up, he also went over expectations for my recovery and that some permanent damage may remain.

Also any help and advice to deal with my anxiety and quitting smoking will be of great help.

Now the big question, any advice on how to get my son, daughter-law, and 3 grandchildren to fully understand what I will be going through so that they can be of more support and help. They do not seem to be getting the picture that this it not like getting your tonsils out. By the way they live with me, they do help out with the bills and rent and all. So any thing that you can send on this so I can get them on board would be great.

Anyway thanks all, I will keep you updated and I will have more questions.

Thanks all, Jerry
Jerry6416 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dr. Smith (04-25-2012)

advertisement
Old 04-25-2012, 09:18 AM #2
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry6416 View Post
Also any help and advice to deal with my anxiety and quitting smoking will be of great help.
Jerry, from what I know, this has changed a lot in recent years; your PCP (regular doc) should be able to help you with both.

Gotta run right now, but more later....

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:46 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry6416 View Post
Now the big question, any advice on how to get my son, daughter-law, and 3 grandchildren to fully understand what I will be going through so that they can be of more support and help. They do not seem to be getting the picture that this it not like getting your tonsils out.
Hi Jerry,

The best way probably would have been to have your son accompany you to the surgeon's visits, so he could hear for himself and ask any questions. If you have any further contact with the surgeon, try to get your son on-board (accompany you). If not, ask the surgeon to have a talk with him to bring him up to speed. Then the two of you can sit down with your DIL, and eventually, either the two of them, with or without you, have a talk with the grandkids.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jerry6416 (04-25-2012)