Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New here - PCS?

Last March I was involved in a head-on collision. The other driver lost control of her vehicle and slid into my lane. I had no time to respond - my foot never lifted off the gas pedal. She was driving 85km/hr and I was going 80km/hr. Speed limit was 80. I was never actually officially diagnosed with a concussion, but my broken nose would say otherwise. The airbag deployed or I probably wouldn't be here today. I also had a laceration to my knee (caused by my keychain of all things) that required reconstructive surgery, and severe whiplash. They thought I had a broken neck but x-rays and MRI confirmed it was just tissue damage.

In the days post-accident, I had severe nausea and frequent vomiting, severe dizziness and headaches. In the next few weeks I had severe memory loss (mostly short-term). I know I am using the word 'severe' lots here but it's true

I am still struggling with lingering effects. My neck is screwed up beyond words, my knee aches regularly, and my nose is still sensitive - but those are the least of my problems. I continue to have significant memory loss, which negatively affected my grades when I returned to school in the Fall. I went from a 3.9GPA to a 3.0. I failed an exam for the first time in the program. I ended up needing the help of a tutor just to pass the courses.

I now use a daily planner to remember my schedule, something I never needed before. I have (sometimes severe) fatigue, to the point where I almost literally fall asleep on my feet. Difficulty concentrating, mood swings, depression-to a point, sensitivity to noises, "zoning" out. I actually had a bizarre episode yesterday where I zoned out at work while staring at my pen, apparently I did this for several seconds and then continued on as if nothing happened with no recollection of it.

I haven't seen a neurologist, or any doctor for any of this. I've been in denial for a very long time, even with my mother nagging at me about this. I didn't want to accept it, because I just wanted it to go away... I've felt like an idiot for so long because of the mistakes I make on a daily basis, and the things that I forget... I constantly wonder (....and wow, I looked away for a second and now I can't remember how I was going to finish that sentence.)

My defense for not going to see any doctors is that even if I do have PCS, what are they going to do for it, really? I don't want to go on antidepressants, I don't think I'm that bad enough. But these are excuses.

I know I have more symptoms... but I can't think of them right now. Thanks for just letting me vent...
NorOnt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Also I have developed a stutter/stammer, which happens when I can't spit out what I'm trying to say... embarassing, to say the least. It was very bad initially after the accident but has since gotten better - at least it is not all of the time anymore.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:52 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Welcome to NeuroTalk! This is definitely a place where you can "vent" and people will understand what you're talking about and offer you some support.

It sounds like you did get a concussion in that accident and are recovering from its effects still. I suggest that you do talk to your doctor about it... but you're right, there's not a whole lot they can really do for you. But getting it recorded is very important. And you might benefit from speech therapy (which helps improve cognitive functioning after a concussion, it's not only used for "speech" related issues), or some other kind of therapy.

You can still make a full recovery.

There are is a lot of advice on this forum on how to maximize your recovery and how to cope with newfound impairments and deficits.

Do you have an attorney? Since you were in an auto accident that wasn't your fault and you're still affected by the injuries from it, you might be entitled to some kind of compensation. Make sure you have an attorney who understands mTBI. Or tell your attorney what you've told us if you already have one.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:31 AM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

NorOnt,

As EsthersDoll said, you should get this in your medical record. More important is getting a legal record started of your cognitive, memory and fatigue difficulties. You may have a long recovery. Nobody can predict how long your recovery will take. If you have long term symptoms or even some permanent symptoms, you want to get started understanding them.

There are lots of skills you can learn to help you deal with your struggles.

You should get started on brain healthy nutrition. You need to avoid caffeine, alcohol, MSG, artificial sweeteners (aspartame is the worst) and high sugar foods. A B-12 supplement (500 to 1000 mcgs daily) plus a B-50 complex, Omega's, magnesium, calcium, and a few others that my damaged brain can not remember.

You also need to focus on getting good rest and quiet. You should not be pushing at school. Your brain needs rest. You will be better able to catch up later than you can today just trying to keep up.

I know your struggles at school. I went from a strong A average to fighting just to get a B much less an A. I started college as an honor student and came close to failing two classes for the first time in my life.

Why do you think the doctor will prescribe an anti-depressant?

Regarding your neck. Soft tissue damage is much harder to heal than a broken bone, though a cervical vertebra can be a very dangerous break. Soft tissue is just starting to stabilize at 6 weeks where a bone is often at full strength at 6 weeks.

As far as being diagnosed with a concussion, unless you complain about concussion symptoms (severe nausea and frequent vomiting, severe dizziness and headaches are serious concussion symptoms), the doctors often just treat the obvious injuries like your nose and knee.

You are fortunate that with your severe symptoms you did not end up in the ER with a more serious condition. You need to be far more cautious about head impacts in the future. Any symptoms like you experienced could be the start of a brain bleed or over-pressure due to a loss of blood pressure regulation.

You will likely be more susceptible to a concussion from now on so understanding to seek a medical opinion will be important.

Enough for now. Others will have more to say.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dolfinwolf (05-12-2012), EsthersDoll (05-09-2012), xxxxcrystalxxxx (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks guys.

I do have an attorney and things are in motion in that aspect.

I forgot to mention that the severe dizziness/vomiting/nausea that I had post-accident mostly occurred while I was still in the hospital. I was hospitalized for almost a week afterwards. When I got home I still had the severe dizziness, which sucked to say the least. Laying in bed with the room spinning doesn't help an already nauseated stomach.

I also had my two dogs (one being an 11 week old puppy at the time) in the car with me. Both survived without major injuries. I don't know how I managed to get that lucky.

Thanks for letting me vent, and for all of the info regarding healthy brain nutrition. This forum has been a wealth of information and I'm glad I found it!
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dolfinwolf (05-12-2012), EsthersDoll (05-09-2012), xxxxcrystalxxxx (05-09-2012)