Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 10:27 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Compounded Pain Cream

After coming off Oxycodone and Valium after my two level TLIF spinal fusion on February 22nd, I am still having pain. Due to a terrible withdrawal from the medications, I have refused any more oral pain meds. I was offered a pain cream that is compounded from a pharmacy. It contains Ketamine, Gabapentin, Flexeril and Lidocaine. I have used it for two days with no success. Has anyone used a pain cream before and had success? Is there something I could do to make it more effective?
candlegirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Gunny Fitz (11-29-2014)

advertisement
Old 05-27-2012, 11:30 AM #2
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlegirl View Post
Has anyone used a pain cream before and had success? Is there something I could do to make it more effective?
Yes & No. There are quite a few posts about compounded pain creams in different forums. To find/read them, use the Search facility in the solid-colored tool bar, and search for compounded pain cream.

For the second question, I would ask the compounding pharmacist.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:21 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

One of these compounded creams was suggested by one of my doctors. I question whether the effects can go deep enough for spinal pain.

Has ANYONE had any success with them for spinal (neck, back) pain?

If so, would you please include (by post or PM if preferred) the specific ingredients, location & type of pain (e.g. lumbar muscle spasm, cervical stenosis, etc.)

The name I was given was Metanx (but pronounced MET-en-ex). I KNOW Metanx® is a supplement concoction taken orally for diabetes & others, but I called the compounding pharmacy, and they verified the name & spelling!

Thanks,

Doc

All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:16 AM #4
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Are you saying--

--there is a compounding prescription cream with the same name as the "nutriceutical" Metanx--which is the combination of the P-5-P form of Vitamin B6, methylcobalamin, and methylfolate?

I'm confused. (I certainly haven't found any reference to such a compounding medication with that name--only the nutriceutical.)
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:24 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--there is a compounding prescription cream with the same name as the "nutriceutical" Metanx--which is the combination of the P-5-P form of Vitamin B6, methylcobalamin, and methylfolate?
Yup. The doctor wrote it out, and said that's what the pharmacy calls it. When we called the pharmacy for info (and to verify the name & spelling), they said that's what the doctors call it.

Quote:
I'm confused. (I certainly haven't found any reference to such a compounding medication with that name--only the nutriceutical.)
Likewise—on both counts.

Doc

Old 11-29-2014, 12:36 PM #6

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Thumbs up Sounds Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlegirl View Post
After coming off Oxycodone and Valium after my two level TLIF spinal fusion on February 22nd, I am still having pain. Due to a terrible withdrawal from the medications, I have refused any more oral pain meds. I was offered a pain cream that is compounded from a pharmacy. It contains Ketamine, Gabapentin, Flexeril and Lidocaine. I have used it for two days with no success. Has anyone used a pain cream before and had success? Is there something I could do to make it more effective?
I too was issued a compound cream but I don't think it has any of these in it? I will look it up and see what ingredients are. But I would LOVE to hear how this works for you and if long term opiate users get relief from it?

Also seeking advice and info on Ketamine Infusions since right now it looks like my next step to help? Any info helps greatly - THANKS!

Gunny
Gunny Fitz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:11 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default didn't help my nerve pain

I was prescribed (gabapentin) one for nerve pain in my lower leg. It didn't really help my leg pain at all, but when I was having tendonitis in my wrist around the same time the doctor recommended the cream for that, and it did help. Maybe your doctor can recommend another oral pain medication that doesn't have as bad of withdrawal issues...if nothing else, the muscle relaxant
Flexeril or even a milder one.

Best wishes to you,
Kay
supernova_krose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote