Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 09:53 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Bad Dr.'s should have to compensate their victims

I live in Loveland, Colorado and have had multiple back surgeries and related procedures that have made everything much worse.

In China two thousand years ago doctors had to compensate their patients if they got worse or did not improve, wouldn't it make sense to have that be the law in the United States? Instead of doctors paying high priced lawyers and increasingly large sums of money to insurance companies the actual victims of the doctors at fault could be compensated. Instead of all doctors having to pay huge bills because of the bad doctors the ones actually causing the problems would be accountable for themselves.
hiatthome is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (07-11-2012)

advertisement
Old 05-28-2012, 05:02 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

That would be great. If that was a law, I could be pretty wealthy right now. LOL My surgeon made a mess of me.

Wish I could post warnings all over about him.
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 05-28-2012, 09:18 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I feel your pain Leesa

Yup, there really isn't any good way to report bad doctors on the Internet. For a couple hundred bucks a computer program (bot) will go through the Internet and take away negative ratings. I sent a letter to my bad doctor asking for a written treatment plan and got a response from his attorney so I have filed a lawsuit. With the best lawyers and insurance in the business against me I really don't stand a chance. I also filed a DORA complaint but even with factual information in the form of recordings and surgery reports it isn't going anywhere. I should be fighting for my health and quality of life, instead I have to fight to even be heard. I hope you find relief somehow.
hiatthome is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-08-2012, 03:42 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I agree. I wish they can be held accountable for mis diagnosis or wrong treatment options.
Voorhees is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiatthome View Post
I live in Loveland, Colorado and have had multiple back surgeries and related procedures that have made everything much worse.

In China two thousand years ago doctors had to compensate their patients if they got worse or did not improve, wouldn't it make sense to have that be the law in the United States? Instead of doctors paying high priced lawyers and increasingly large sums of money to insurance companies the actual victims of the doctors at fault could be compensated. Instead of all doctors having to pay huge bills because of the bad doctors the ones actually causing the problems would be accountable for themselves.
Yikes....While I am only humbly on these pages because a surgeon messed me up, I do get it but think there are problems with this line of thinking.

First, good doctors have bad outcomes from time to time and as humans (we all are guilty of this) make mistakes too.

Secondly, bad doctors have good outcomes from time to time. The point here is that bad outcomes do not always equal bad doctors. So to continually punish both the good and the bad docs based solely off of outcomes would only serve to punish ourselves as these increased bad-outcome costs would only be absorbed by the malpractic carriers, leading to increased premiums for us and ultimately increased medical costs for all (no O****care does not fix this).

But lastly, look at the fine print of the paper work you sign with your doc. Outcome is NOT guaranteed nor is payment forgiven if you are not improved or are worsened! And there is this silly thing called "informed consent"

And would you really want health care TODAY as administered in China 2000 years ago (although this is now kind of where we are headed)???....res ipsa loquitur....
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-11-2012, 12:10 PM #6
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Yup, there really isn't any good way to report bad doctors on the Internet. For a couple hundred bucks a computer program (bot) will go through the Internet and take away negative ratings. I sent a letter to my bad doctor asking for a written treatment plan and got a response from his attorney so I have filed a lawsuit. With the best lawyers and insurance in the business against me I really don't stand a chance. I also filed a DORA complaint but even with factual information in the form of recordings and surgery reports it isn't going anywhere. I should be fighting for my health and quality of life, instead I have to fight to even be heard. I hope you find relief somehow.
beautifully said

someone who cares
Old 07-11-2012, 02:05 PM #7
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Yikes....While I am only humbly on these pages because a surgeon messed me up, I do get it but think there are problems with this line of thinking.

First, good doctors have bad outcomes from time to time and as humans (we all are guilty of this) make mistakes too.

Secondly, bad doctors have good outcomes from time to time. The point here is that bad outcomes do not always equal bad doctors. So to continually punish both the good and the bad docs based solely off of outcomes would only serve to punish ourselves as these increased bad-outcome costs would only be absorbed by the malpractic carriers, leading to increased premiums for us and ultimately increased medical costs for all (no O****care does not fix this).

But lastly, look at the fine print of the paper work you sign with your doc. Outcome is NOT guaranteed nor is payment forgiven if you are not improved or are worsened! And there is this silly thing called "informed consent"

And would you really want health care TODAY as administered in China 2000 years ago (although this is now kind of where we are headed)???....res ipsa loquitur....
thank you for your input

as in my case your opinion would not
only not apply but absurd
but that is my care
i was given a 75% chance success
rate

not so first time around
but second time around
i developed Honers syndrome
asked him
what's wrong with my eye
would not admit to the fact
it was directly after 2nd surgery
along with a 80% of my life
taken from me
that's alright
i am now under
the care of
ortho surgeon
we will see

someone who cares
Old 07-11-2012, 02:07 PM #8
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Yup, there really isn't any good way to report bad doctors on the Internet. For a couple hundred bucks a computer program (bot) will go through the Internet and take away negative ratings.
Where does this information come from? It sounds a little like urban legend.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:24 PM #9
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi at home

I wish.... I wanted to bring a law suit for misdiagnosis. found out about a statute of limitations, can't do a thing. This misdiagnosis, cost me my ability to walk well, and contributed to the forming of PN or RSD. I am sick over it as I trusted this doctor. Believe in what he told me. He wasn't even close in what was wrong with my ankles. I don't like that the average person has no way to be compensated. If you are poor, or at the mercy of medicare,.medicaid, there isn't anything a person can do that I know of. The closest I could get was to report it to the AMA. I didn't get a responce. My first neuro surgeon, didn't tell me the complete story with my cervial spine either. I flat out wasn't told. I am not sure what the answer is to these issues. My batting average isn't so good. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote