Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 08:42 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Red face 3 months post ACDF still have pain.

Hi everyone, I am new here and desperately seeking answers, suggestions what have you. I had ACDF on March 6 of this year, C5,6,7. I had spurring and moderate spinal stenosis. It all started about a year ago whenI found out my dad was terminally ill. I blamed my neck and shoulder pain on stress and heartbreak, caring for him and the dr upped my blood pressure meds and put me on bus par and Zoloft for anxiety which was extremely severe at the time. I am still taking those meds today. 4 months after Dad passed, I was still having pain so I went to see about it. It was as if a severe crick was in my neck and shoulders and my arms were tingling. Turned out to be blown discs. After my surgery, I wore a soft collar to sleep in and for car rides, and I did nothing but sit and sleep in my recliner for three weeks while everyone else took care of me.

Now I have burning pain in my arms. Muscle spasms in my neck and shoulders. I take Flexeril and neurontin with little to no relief. Driving my SUV is difficult, and I have blind spots and must be able to turn my head...... I am actually considering downsizing to a car to make it a little easier. I try to stay active, but then I pay dearly ad wind up worthless to my family for 3-4 days. My husband is most unsympathetic to my pain and fusses when things do not get done. I'm not sure what kind of answers there are, or my choices, but I am glad to know that I am not alone nor imagining things.....
Sarayuwx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (06-06-2012), tamiloo (06-06-2012)

advertisement
Old 06-05-2012, 04:29 PM #2
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Default No, you are not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarayuwx View Post
I am glad to know that I am not alone nor imagining things.....
Hi Sarayuwx, Welcome.

Everything you've shared -- the stress, heartbreak, compassion, anxiety, sensations, reactions, and frustration -- all sounds very... human, and familiar to this group.

You've been through a lot, and while the stress, etc. may have been contributing factors, they are not the cause, and if the cause is something in the past (work, injury, natural aging) it really doesn't matter -- we can't change the past, we are where we are now, and we can only go forward from wherever that is. It is unfortunate that (seemingly -- you didn't really say, so I'm guessing) no-one told you that the surgery may not help the pain, and that you had to go through all that anyway, but that's one of those things that cannot be changed/taken back, so let's go from NOW.

Have you been through post-surgical/rehab PT, and are you in Pain Management? Do you have a Physiatrist? (Maybe both in one.) Does your husband go to doctor visits with you, and ask questions? These are rhetorical questions, and meant as possible suggestions to help.

Before trading in your SUV, try test-driving any prospective replacements. Most cars have blind spots, so you may just be trading your current blind spots for other different ones. Also check safety equipment & records, paying special attention to neck/whiplash protection in fender-benders.

You're on a journey through a life-changing event, and we all hope you will recover fully, but that may still take some time & effort, and realities must be considered/faced. Did you take a look at the stages of grief during the period with your dad? Those stages and their effects can also apply to life-changing events like surgery. You may have to moderate/slow down -- even more than originally anticipated -- with the active stuff until you've healed/rehabilitated more. That's another thing they may have neglected to tell you -- realistic recuperation times. It's only 3 months, and it may take a year (hopefully not, but folks here, either directly or by reviewing past discussion threads, may give you a better idea of expectations and experiences) -- you may still have some road to travel, and your family needs to understand this.

Your husband especially, but the family (those old enough) needs to talk to someone, or someone needs to talk to them. This is one of those times when families need to/should rally together, understand, pitch-in & take up the slack, and do whatever is necessary to help out/support mom & get her back on her feet, and/or deal with whatever is ahead -- physically, psychologically, emotionally. You're still a whole person, and deserve to be treated like one.

No-one can ever truly understand what another person is feeling or going through except another who has experienced the same. This applies equally to support groups and to families for the same reason -- shared experiences/history. We (human beings) need both; both are integral parts of our support networks.

I'm not sure what all kind of answers there are, or your choices either, but I am glad you found us, and hope you'll find some.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-05-2012, 05:57 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
Hi Sarayuwx, Welcome.

Everything you've shared -- the stress, heartbreak, compassion, anxiety, sensations, reactions, and frustration -- all sounds very... human, and familiar to this group.

Thank you for your kind response. Your signature made me LOL... My dad would do that very quote during every procedure he underwent during his journey with brain cancer. Thanks for the laugh!

As far as the how, I have no clue, probably an age related thing. I have not been to PT, apparently my surgeon felt I did not need it so he has not sent me to one. I did get sent for nerve testing and it was found there that the burning in my arms and hands are both from Carpal Tunnel and damage from my nerves being impinged for so long. Typically, I am a very active, organized person, but since this pain in the neck (haha) I have slowed waaaayyyyyy down and I don't like it one bit.

I am not familiar with Pain Management facilities. But after today I seriously considered going to a local one here. I am not crazy about going to one of those! My spouse seems to think the Dr's there are just going to write you a script for anything you want and send you on your way. I just want to be able to function again. My two youngest boys are 7 and 3, my 7 year old is autistic and a handful. I will be placing a call with my OSS in the morning just to make sure that my plate has not shifted for some reason.

thanks again for your response and your support.

Last edited by mrsD; 06-05-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: fixing quote tags for clarity
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-05-2012, 06:53 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ I have to agree with Dr. Smith. You certainly need Pain Management, and possibly physical therapy when the healing time allows.

Since it's only been 3 months, you are NOT sufficiently healed yet -- the trauma that your body suffered is tremendous, particularly inside! The tissues are undoubtedly still inflamed and very angry! LOL And the nerves are still healing -- nerves heal/grow back at the rate of one INCH per month so it takes a good while for them to recover.

I doubt you're getting much in the area of pain medication as they never seem to think you're in much pain. I wish they could spend a day in our shoes -- just once -- and see how we feel! Then perhaps we MIGHT get proper medication.

Please get a referral to pain management. And take your hubby along if you can. He seems to be very uneducated in pain -- better yet, get a hammer and whack him in the shins. Then maybe he'd know how your BACK feels! LOL Best of luck & God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-06-2012, 12:57 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
I am not familiar with Pain Management facilities. But after today I seriously considered going to a local one here. I am not crazy about going to one of those! My spouse seems to think the Dr's there are just going to write you a script for anything you want and send you on your way.
I won't tell you pill mills don't exist, but they are the bane of legitimate pain management and in the minority. For some patients, medication is the best/only alternative, both short and long term, but that is a decision for each patient with the guidance of their physician. Pill mills harm patients in real need because when they do get shut down, those patients get stuck with the stigma of being drug-seekers even though/when they're not.

There are many other therapies for pain management. Some pain management doctors/clinics don't/won't even write prescriptions for pain medications, and those that do often have patients sign a pain contract and submit to periodic testing to ensure compliance. Some options -- alternative medicine -- like accupuncture, myofascial trigger point massage, biofeedback, laser therapy, and others are not offered by western medicine (and may not be covered by insurance) but can be as effective, depending on the patient and the condition.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to google: pain management and learn the facts about the specialty and options available.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pain_management

A couple of other resources are:
http://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/
http://pain-topics.org/

I agree with Leesa to ask for a referral to pain management and take your husband along. Given his misconceptions/misinformation about pain management, I can only speculate about his misconceptions/misinformation about pain medications.
http://health.msn.com/health-topics/...killers?page=1

I'll defer to Leesa and others about healing times and physical therapy, but when the time is right, it can help with residual pain and rehab.

Doc

All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 06-06-2012 at 04:08 AM. Reason: clarification
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (06-06-2012), spine95 (06-06-2012), tamiloo (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 07:40 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Good Morning

I continued to use my soft collar while driving for several months after the surgeon said I didn't need it anymore. It served as a reminder not to move inappropriately. If you are having spasm, there is an over the counter rub that just might help. I know that sounds crazy when so many prescript. items aren't doing much but give it a try anyhow. It's Thera Gesic rub. I get it at Krogers grocery as it is cheaper there than even WalMart. I know it is just menthol and Methyl Salicilate so go figure. My brother has a bad spine also........cervical and lumbar. I saw him at a family wedding last month and it was a 250 trip, one way. He was a mess. I gave him a new tube that I intentionally took for him, knowing he would try anything that wouldn't interfere with his ability to drive safely. He said it totally eliminated his neck spasm and actually pulled down some of the radicular leg pain. I had to chuckle as I had been trying to get him to try it for several years. I am just adding this to the great suggestions you have already received. Best wishes.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-06-2012, 09:29 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thank you everyone!

Last night I slept in my recliner again. I slept better there than on my Tempurpedic mattress! I believe the collar will be going back on as I like many others have a forgetful moment until I turn my head just so..... Youch!

I made an appointment with my OSS and will see him first thing tomorrow.

I wonder, if it is possible that I messed something up in there. Prior to surgery I was a tummy sleeper. The past couple of weeks or so, I have woken up on my stomach, neck killing me. That golf ball feeling in my throat is back and I can almost feel something crunching around in there when I move my shoulders. Im honestly a little freaked out about all of this.

Doc, thank you for the links. I will be INSISTING on PT and Pain Management. Leesa, the Dr. who did my EMG said exactly the same thing - he is the one who put me on Neurontin, which does very little to dull the pain. (it does help with the burning, just not the PAIN) It makes me groggy more than anything.

Is there a drug out there that any of you have had success with that also did not zone you out and you were still able to function through the day? I have two young and very active boys and have to be able to keep up with them.

Thanks again everyone.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dr. Smith (06-06-2012), eva5667faliure (06-06-2012), tamiloo (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 09:42 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spine95 View Post
If you are having spasm, there is an over the counter rub that just might help. I know that sounds crazy when so many prescript. items aren't doing much but give it a try anyhow.
Know what my PCP would say about that?

"Whatever works!"
(He says that to me a lot. )

Doc

"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (06-06-2012), Sarayuwx (06-07-2012), tamiloo (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 09:58 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up I will have to try that

I am at the point where I will try ANYTHING.

Let ya know how it works for me. =)
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-06-2012, 10:17 AM #10
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Hi everyone, I am new here and desperately seeking answers, suggestions what have you. I had ACDF on March 6 of this year, C5,6,7. I had spurring and moderate spinal stenosis. It all started about a year ago whenI found out my dad was terminally ill. I blamed my neck and shoulder pain on stress and heartbreak, caring for him and the dr upped my blood pressure meds and put me on bus par and Zoloft for anxiety which was extremely severe at the time. I am still taking those meds today. 4 months after Dad passed, I was still having pain so I went to see about it. It was as if a severe crick was in my neck and shoulders and my arms were tingling. Turned out to be blown discs. After my surgery, I wore a soft collar to sleep in and for car rides, and I did nothing but sit and sleep in my recliner for three weeks while everyone else took care of me.

Now I have burning pain in my arms. Muscle spasms in my neck and shoulders. I take Flexeril and neurontin with little to no relief. Driving my SUV is difficult, and I have blind spots and must be able to turn my head...... I am actually considering downsizing to a car to make it a little easier. I try to stay active, but then I pay dearly ad wind up worthless to my family for 3-4 days. My husband is most unsympathetic to my pain and fusses when things do not get done. I'm not sure what kind of answers there are, or my choices, but I am glad to know that I am not alone nor imagining things.....
hello

wanted to say welcome
you wrote my story
i am hoping all be well
in the end
your story is recognized

someone who care
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sarayuwx (06-07-2012), tamiloo (06-06-2012)

Tags
acdf, chronic pain, muscle cramps