Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 10:41 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Long-Term Effects of Spine Fusion? (T12-L2)

Hi there!

I had an XLIF for T12 to L2 due to a burst fracture of L1 in August of 2011. I've healed extremely well and I don't have pain or anything at this point.

However, I'm only 22 and I've heard that a fusion can have degenerative effects on the discs/vertebrae surrounding the fusion. I'd like to maintain good back health in the future (I never had any back problems before the accident).

Does anyone have any experience with the long-term effects of a fusion like mine (specifically, in the low thoracic and lumbar region)? What can I do to make sure my spine remains healthy despite the fusion? Am I guaranteed to have further spine issues because of this?
AineMuirne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (06-25-2012)

advertisement
Old 06-25-2012, 12:20 AM #2
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AineMuirne View Post
What can I do to make sure my spine remains healthy despite the fusion? Am I guaranteed to have further spine issues because of this?
Hi AineMuirne, Welcome.

Keeping your spine healthy is usually a matter of genetics (which you can't do much about) and common sense (which you can).

Eat right (making sure you get enough calcium, etc. Google: strong bones), exercise (but don't overdo), don't smoke, drink only in moderation, don't abuse drugs, wear seatbelts & appropriate safety equipment, yadda, yadda, yadda...

There are never any sure things (guarantees) in life except death & taxes. However, I think there's a lot to be said for attitude/positive thinking. If you go through life believing you'll have further spine issues, you very well may. Especially if you subconsciously resign yourself to that fate, you may be likely to help it come to pass by not taking care of yourself.

OTOH, if you have good genetics (no family history of osteoporosis or other relevant medical conditions), take care of yourself, and believe things will turn out well, there's every chance things will go well and you'll be fine.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 09:53 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
Hi AineMuirne, Welcome.

Keeping your spine healthy is usually a matter of genetics (which you can't do much about) and common sense (which you can).

Eat right (making sure you get enough calcium, etc. Google: strong bones), exercise (but don't overdo), don't smoke, drink only in moderation, don't abuse drugs, wear seatbelts & appropriate safety equipment, yadda, yadda, yadda...

There are never any sure things (guarantees) in life except death & taxes. However, I think there's a lot to be said for attitude/positive thinking. If you go through life believing you'll have further spine issues, you very well may. Especially if you subconsciously resign yourself to that fate, you may be likely to help it come to pass by not taking care of yourself.

OTOH, if you have good genetics (no family history of osteoporosis or other relevant medical conditions), take care of yourself, and believe things will turn out well, there's every chance things will go well and you'll be fine.

Doc
Thank you for your response!

I hear so many bad things that it seems like these problems are guaranteed to occur, but it's really only because people emphasize the negative.

I've never smoked anything in my life or even consumed an entire alcoholic beverage, haha. I only eat whole foods and I take very good care of myself, so I should be fine! And genetics are on my side!

Thank you for the encouragement.
AineMuirne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dr. Smith (06-27-2012), eva5667faliure (06-26-2012)