Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 09:48 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New Problems After ACDF

Hi all. I'm looking for some information (or maybe just encouragement). I had a herniated disk at C6-C7 and opted for ACDF because it was causing severe left arm weakness that hadn't improved after 7 weeks.

About 24 hours after surgery I started having weakness and strange sensations in both my right and left arms and, shortly after that, tingling and weakness in my legs and feet. I'm now one week post-op and these new problems persist. I saw my surgeon yesterday: He had x-rays taken and said the hardware all looked good, that swelling from the surgery was likely the problem and that it should resolve over the next few weeks as the swelling goes down.

I'm quite concerned about this. Has anyone experienced anything similar after this surgery? If so, did it get better? Should I try to see another doctor at this point and get more aggressive about trying to figure out what is going on?

Thanks!
NWbrian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (06-26-2012)

advertisement
Old 06-26-2012, 12:31 PM #2
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWbrian View Post
Hi all. I'm looking for some information (or maybe just encouragement). I had a herniated disk at C6-C7 and opted for ACDF because it was causing severe left arm weakness that hadn't improved after 7 weeks.

About 24 hours after surgery I started having weakness and strange sensations in both my right and left arms and, shortly after that, tingling and weakness in my legs and feet. I'm now one week post-op and these new problems persist. I saw my surgeon yesterday: He had x-rays taken and said the hardware all looked good, that swelling from the surgery was likely the problem and that it should resolve over the next few weeks as the swelling goes down.

I'm quite concerned about this. Has anyone experienced anything similar after this surgery? If so, did it get better? Should I try to see another doctor at this point and get more aggressive about trying to figure out what is going on?

Thanks!
dear brian

YES

what you describe is
what i experienced
and my level problem
is 6/7
i had 5/6 - 6/7
my surgeon had
no clue
sending me for
painful testing
only to confirm
my new problems
ARE REAL
I GO TO A NEW
DOCTOR THURSDAY
HOPE TO LEARN
WHAT IS WRONG
EVERYTHING HURTS
MY THUMBS ARE
PAINFUL

YES IF YOU CAN
SEE A NEW DOCTOR

GOOD LUCK

someone who cares
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (06-28-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 03:12 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the reply Eva. Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you get some answers and relief soon!

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva5667faliure View Post
dear brian

YES

what you describe is
what i experienced
and my level problem
is 6/7
i had 5/6 - 6/7
my surgeon had
no clue
sending me for
painful testing
only to confirm
my new problems
ARE REAL
I GO TO A NEW
DOCTOR THURSDAY
HOPE TO LEARN
WHAT IS WRONG
EVERYTHING HURTS
MY THUMBS ARE
PAINFUL

YES IF YOU CAN
SEE A NEW DOCTOR

GOOD LUCK

someone who cares
Old 06-27-2012, 07:18 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWbrian View Post

Thanks!
Brian,
It's still early days.
Are you wearing or have you thought about wearing a soft cervical collar?
I found wearing one beneficial when I ran into problems post ACDF c5, c6.
I had a spur removed post ACDF which had been causing numbness and pins and needles and pain so maybe that could be investigated?
Otherwise all I can suggest is give it time to settle, easier said than done I know but worth a try.
made it up is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Gentle cervie hugz. It is so early. Your neck is terribly angry and letting you know it. The last time I had a cervie was years ago. It went well but I was having all sorts of radicular stuff going on in spite of the fact that I was obeying instructions to the letter. At two weeks I was miserable and saw the surgeon on an emergency basis. He said everything looked as it should but said I had one angry neck. Duh. A round of prednisone took care of it. The surgeon admitted something I had suspected for a long time. The last step before closing is to drop in a grenade. Hang in there and keep us posted.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dr. Smith (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 08:43 AM #6
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spine95 View Post
The last step before closing is to drop in a grenade.
ROTFLMAO!

Quote:
Gentle cervie hugz. It is so early.
"Gentle cervie hugz"? Yes, It is SOOO... early (in the morning) for THAT!

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
spine95 (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 04:37 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the responses spine95 and made it up. I am wearing a soft cervical collar except while showering and sleeping (as per NS instructions). M new neuro symptons have calmed down somewhat at this point. Still nervous, but not quite as despondent as I was when I first posted. I really appreciate the advice and will do my best to follow it!
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (06-29-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 05:51 PM #8
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi NWbrian

I want to welcome you to Neuro Talk. Keep track of all your symptoms. You are still recovering, and hopefully there will be better results. Did you ask your doctor about the condition of the verterbre above and below the site of surgery at C6-7.? Do you have your surgical report, and all the information on the condition of your cervical neck? I had the same surgery. I didn't do very well. I didn't know, and I was not told I had other cervical trouble. That was kept from me until I asked for all my records: 6 years later.I had C6-7 re-done and C3-7 as one long rod. C6-7 wasn't the only problem I had. The doctor who did my origional surgery, would not admit that I was having problems right after my surgery. At that point is when I should have asked for my records and surgical report. If you continue to have some real substantial pain, don't wait as I did to find out what is wrong. I don't want to scare you or anything either. Just insist that the doctor acknowledges what problems you are having. Document all you can. I sure do wish that the pain and arm trouble goes away for you. I am here if you need support. I know for myself, I didn't investigate my own problems very well at the time of my first surgery. Take care, ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:05 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm going through the same thing here Brian, surgery was 3.5 months ago, and after experiencing very similar symptoms as you, my surgeon sent me for an EMG/NCS where it was confirmed that I have severe nerve damage from my discs being squished for so long. You are still very much in recovery, but I would ask your dr for electro diagnostic nerve testing to rule out any further problems.
Please keep us posted.

ACDF C5-6, C6-7 March 6, 2012 with donor bone.
C4-5 bulging slightly post ACDF with mild neural foraminal narrowing.
C6-7 Severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing, left greater than right.
EMG/NCV on May 1 resulted in dx of Moderate to Severe Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both hands.

Still hurting.
Sarayuwx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (06-28-2012)