Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 01:33 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy now horrible lumbar pain

As if things werent already bad..... Saturday while brushing my teeth I got this horrible pain in my low back. So bad it literally dropped me. My husband came and rescued in from bathroom floor while I screamed took us 2.5 hours just to get me to the dang car to go to e/r. I see my neurosurgeon this afternoon however doubt this can be related right? I have had pain in lower back and have had injection which relieved my radicular pain in leg. However, never had pain like this. I dont know what to do anymore. I feel like I am losing control of my life. Missing work now afraid I will lose my job over all of this.
mrsalkire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-27-2012, 06:11 AM #2
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsalkire View Post
I see my neurosurgeon this afternoon however doubt this can be related right?
Please let us know how that turned out (when you are able to without too much pain!)

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:31 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

So sorry. There are probably dozens of possible explanations. I think I have heard most of them. I hope the pain is under control now. Give us an update as you can. Hugz and prayerz headed your way.

Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:44 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsalkire View Post
As if things werent already bad..... Saturday while brushing my teeth I got this horrible pain in my low back. So bad it literally dropped me. My husband came and rescued in from bathroom floor while I screamed took us 2.5 hours just to get me to the dang car to go to e/r. I see my neurosurgeon this afternoon however doubt this can be related right? I have had pain in lower back and have had injection which relieved my radicular pain in leg. However, never had pain like this. I dont know what to do anymore. I feel like I am losing control of my life. Missing work now afraid I will lose my job over all of this.
Could be anything from a severe lumbar strain to a prolapsed disc....and everything in between. What did the neurosurgeon say (besides get an MRI)?
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:07 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default somewhat better

NS said nothing new. So thats probably good. It feels better than it did thank you. Still cant walk upright. But progress is still progress right? When I saw pain management yesterday he was willing to do 2 injections one in lower lumbar again. Then my cervical which is what I was scheduled for. But my insurance hadnt approved it ( I have HORRIBLE insurance) The cervical injection was excuriciating!!!! Was not prepared for that. I saw someone else was put out for it lol not me!!!! now I have weakness on left side before it was just pain and numbness..... My face swollen, headaches, and feel sick but I think that is normal after injection correct? Starting to feel so crappy about all of this!!!!! Until a few months ago I was so active/healthy gym, kids, grandkids, never home took care of everyone else now all this! Beyond frustrating. My husband says now its their time to take care of me........ Did I mention before I have scoliosis? Doublecurve never taken care of NS says that is making everything more complicated.
mrsalkire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:27 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Unfortunately, I have to agree with both your husband (now its their turn to take care of you) and your NS (scoliosis making everything more complicated).

Glad you're feeling a little better, that the pain you originally posted about isn't anything new, and hoping the upcoming all goes well.

Some of that doesn't sound like I mean it too, but/so I hope you figure out what I'm trying to say!

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:35 PM #7
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Dear Mrs.alkire

So sorry you had this terrible pain. I hope your neruosurgeon can determine what is wrong and help you. I do know about back pain. Please let all of us on NT know how you are doing. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:18 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry you had to go thru that! How come they did not put you out? God love you. You are going to be in my prayers!

ACDF C5-6, C6-7 March 6, 2012 with donor bone.
C4-5 bulging slightly post ACDF with mild neural foraminal narrowing.
C6-7 Severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing, left greater than right.
EMG/NCV on May 1 resulted in dx of Moderate to Severe Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both hands.

Still hurting.
Sarayuwx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:22 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The episode that knocked you to the floor happened to me when I herniatd a disk. Did they even bother to do an MRI? If not, they should have!!! They should have done SOME tests, for pete's sakes! Sounds like they didn't do anything!

The cervical injection sounds miserable. did you call your doc about the swelling, etc? If not, I would. In the meantime, put ice on it to get the swelling down.

Keep us posted, will you. You're sure having a rough time. God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:27 PM #10
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Re: injections

I am sorry those shots hurt to bad. To tell you the truth, they should not have been that bad. Usually a local is admisistered, and sometimes they put you out. If these shots don't help, don't repete them The infusions I had didn't hurt at all, and worked for about three months. I wish you all the best. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote