Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 04-09-2007, 11:42 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Wink Well, I did it.. I had my Stellate Ganglion Block today..

Hi Everyone,
I think most everyone knows that I had my re do last January. Three days later I had started to have a sever sensitivity to my right inner arm. The reason for my re do was because the anti scarring material (Septra Film) didn't take. I had a large amount of scar tissue and adhesions build up on my ulnar nerve causing sever compression.

From the original day of the onset of the sensitivity we had thought it was just the nerve waking up from the compression. I had seen the NP at my 2 week post op follow up and she thought that the sensativity would decrease with time. At my four week post op follow up with my Surgeon, he chose to try a medrol dose pack; if there was no relief with that then he wanted to do a Ganglion Block as he was concerned that RSD was in the works. Well, there was no relief with the medrol pack.. I had waited 8 weeks total with only minimal relief on its own. I then gave Lyrica a try for 2 more weeks but there was no relief from that only weight gain . I had been on Cymbalta prior to the surgery and still remain on it plus multiple other meds. I know more than 2 months went by from the time of onset but with my jittery nerves I just kept putting it off and trying other routs or tried to just push it under the table .

I then chose to go thru with the Stellate Ganglion Block. Today, when I had the injection it went pretty well. I have to say it was very similar to my scalene blocks. I didn't have IV sedation only a local anesthetic and was given the option of a 5 mg tab of valium which I took... I figured I could use a little relaxation . I had been given a local and then the injection. For me it wasn't difficult I had only felt pressure . During the actual injection I felt warmth in my entire right arm and I have to say the feeling was a bit strange a little numb, but the the best part is the pain had slowly gone away. I could feel my right eye start to droop and my right nose became stuffy. Once the procedure was done. I had a slight right sided headache and some mild discomfort to my right eye along with a very droopy blood shot right eye. My right hand was noticeably warmer and I had some weakness to my right arm. I still had a small amount of sensitivity to the right arm but the burning that I had in my right hand was gone.

I will be able to tell more tomorrow how much relief I am still having. But so far I am glad that I did go thru with it . Now, I will know either way and am getting a head start on my blocks if it is RSD.

I know many people have been recently concerned with the fact that they could be having RSD type symptoms with there TOS. Mine started shortly after my second surgery. It doesn't hurt to try some other routes. Just remember a block is what you ultimately need and you only have a small window of opportunity to put your RSD into remission.
Well, Off to sleep I go..

Thanks everyone for all your support and advise..
Many Hugs
Dawn

Last edited by dawn3063; 04-10-2007 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Additions...
dawn3063 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-10-2007, 01:19 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

ALl my fingers and toes are crossed that you find what you need...I really hope it is not RSD...but if it is, I hope it gets controlled quickly for you.

Many soft hugs,

Johanna

johannakat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:32 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well, It was really nice while it lasted . The sensativity returned full swing around the 20 hour mark after the block and the burning in the hand and portion of my arm around 23 hours. Oh, I enjoyed the toasty warm hand.. How I miss that now..

It was such a relief for those few hours... Now, I'll have to see what the Dr has to say. The sensativity never went away completley but it's intensity decreased alot and the sandpaper burning sensations that I had did go away for almost 24 hours. Plus, the cool hand was warm for quite some time.

I must say it was quite a downer when the symptoms started to return

Many Hugs
Dawn
Old 04-11-2007, 10:37 AM #4
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Oh drats!

When do you see dr now about this?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:39 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Dawn

So sorry to hear this! I was hoping for the best for you--you've gone through so much and have tried to do all the right things.

I know so little about this....I know that often people need a series of blocks, and that one is not sufficient. But I'm unclear about the significance of the fact that this initial block worked for only a short period of time. Is that what was expected? And is there is any possibility that this response means that you might not have RSD, and that perhaps your nerves are just healing from your extensive surgery? I'm sure Roz and Hope and others can provide more info.

Here are two links I found, just in case you haven't seen them:

http://groups.msn.com/TheRSDNook/sgb.msnw

http://groups.msn.com/TheRSDNook/rsdtreatments.msnw

Hugs,
Stardust
Stardust is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:06 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi Stardust,

Beth wrote me in the "Today I" thread and this is quoted from her post regarding the Stellate Ganglion Block ...

(This should be a series of 3, spaced a few days to a week apart, but different Drs do it differently. Try to get them no further than a week apart if possible. The anesthesia provides roughly 4-6 hours of relief - anything OVER that amount of time, say you go 24 hours without the burning pain, is both confirmation of RSD/CRPS AND a successful block, i.e., it worked for you. Hopefully, each block will give you longer-lasting relief).
There is a limited window of time to get the blocks in order for a remission to take place, or failing that, to have the best results.

So, it looks as though I will be heading for more of the Stellate Ganglion blocks... Go Figure... My Luck... But I am determined to catch this quick and my goal is to put this into remission quickley...

Thank you so much for the links. I didn't have those...

Jo- I have a follow up with the Dr in a few days.. Ugh, It looks like I may have a new diagnosis. But I am still waiting for the official dx to come from the doc.

Hugs To You...
Dawn

Last edited by dawn3063; 04-11-2007 at 08:53 PM.
dawn3063 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:51 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dawn,

Thank you so much for the insight.. it helps me because my Dr. wanted me to do the Scalene block and I am very nervous to do it . But hearing it from someone does help with my decision... great post...

Hope everyone is doin o.k.....

Dolfinz
Dolfinz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:42 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Blank Hi Dawn

I had my first scalene block 2 weeks ago and also received about a 20 hour reprieve from the pain; not complete relief, but significant. I am waiting for approval on the series from W/C. I think I will ask my attorney to call and see what the delay is on the authoriaztion.

Thanks for sharing, and for the udate!

Cala
Caladium is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:24 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation Scalene Block is not the same as a Stellate Ganglion Block

Dolfinz and Caldium-
YUou may already know this but just in case.....

Scalene blocks are not the same as a Stellate Ganglion block. SG blocks are specifically for RSD.

The scalene block is used as a diagnostic tool to see if you have TOS, and also to give you an idea of whether surgery would be helpful. If getting them in a seires and quickly after diagnosis was a way of treatment/remission, many of us would be better by now.... Having the scalene block later will not really affect your TOS all that much unless you have very severe nerve compression.

Johanna

Old 04-11-2007, 10:26 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

And Dawn- I continue to send warm (pun intended!) thoughts your way.

Hope the Blocks continue to work for you.