Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 09:27 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default MRI Results for Cervical and Lumbar Need help understanding what it means

Hello everyone! I'm new here and I needs some help please. I have had back problems on and off since I was 22 I am now 33 and for the past 9 months my back pain has been chronic. I started going to the Dr. to see what the problem is about 3 months ago. Here are the MRI results that I need help understanding.

At C5-6 the disc is degenerated with bulging fittings subarachnoid space. There is no cord compression. There is mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis somewhat worse on the right.

Behind C5-6 level there some abnormal signal within the spinal cord which could indicate myelomalacia or cord contusion. There is no evidence of cord atrophy.

Now for the Lumbar MRI

L3-L4 there is a moderate generalized disk bulge and a small annular rent.

L4-L5 there is bilateral facet hypertrophy and a moderate generalized disk bulge with an annular rent

L5-S1 there is mild generalized disk bulge and facet hypertrophy.

there is a 5mm perineural cyst at S1-S2 on the left

Any help understanding what this means would be greatly apprieciated.

I have an appt. coming up soon to get a referal to a neuralogist but in the meantime I just want to know so that I can have peace of mind. Thanks bunches
Cynthia M. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-12-2012, 01:34 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Since no one else has jumped in here, I'm going to TRY to help, but there are some things I'm not familiar with, so bear with me. I'm not a doctor -- I just learned this thru many years of going thru this myself!

At C5-6 you have degenerative disc with a disc bulge. Degenerative disc disease is just drying out of the discs. It happens with age, but some of us get it sooner than others. When the discs dry out, they flatten, and it makes them "bulge out" and that can make them also herniate. When they bulge & herniate they touch nerves and that HURTS!!!

aT c5-6 You also have mild foraminal stenosis. The foramen is the hole that the nerves go thru to the spinal cord. Stenosis is "narrowing" --so the foramen is narrowing mildly.
I don't know what they mean about "signal" unless they're talking about the "electrical impulse" that the nerves are sending to the spinal cord. And I don't know what Myelomalacia is either -- I looked it up in the medical dictionary, and it wasn't listed. Cord contusion would indicate a "bruising" or some sort of injury to the spinal cord.

Now for the lumbar:

L3-4 You have a moderate disc bulge. I have NO idea what "rent" means.

L4-5 You have bilateral facet hypertrophy, which means "overgrowth." And you also have a moderate disc bulge.

L5-S1 Again, you have the same as above.

At S1-S2 you have a cyst on or around nervous tissue on the left.

This is about the best I can do. I hope I've helped a little bit. Now I'm NOT a doctor like I said, but from what I an see, this does NOt look like it would be anything that surgery would be required. I KNOW it hurts, believe me. But the ONLY reason I'd get surgery is if I was in danger of permanent nerve damage or if my spinal cord was impinged,,and I don't see any evidence of that here. BUT PLEASE get more than one opinion on this, ok??

Also, exhaust EVERY SINGLE conservative method available to you before you opt for surgery because you will NEVER be the same again after surgery. And surgery is NEVER for pain. Surgery is ONLY to repair mechanical problems. It does NOT relieve pain most of the time. If a doctor tells you that he can relieve your pain, run from him because he cannot. Usually, after spinal surgery, you will be left with the same pain or worse. Also, there is something the surgeons DON'T tell their patients lots of time. The levels above and below the surgery sites WILL fail, because they have to take on more of the load -- so you end up needing more surgery late on down the liine -- and it's usually not too far in the future! This is called the "Domino Effect." It happened to me, and MANY others.

Also, I read recently that the latest studies have shown that spinal surgery patients get NO BETTER RESULTS than those who have had just physical therapy!!! Wish I had known that when I had MY surgeries!!!

So best of luck and again, get at least 3 opinions before deciding on what to do. God bless and take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote