Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 09:25 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default spinal fusion l4 l5

I am going in sept for a fusion of l4 and l5. i have stenosis along with a bulging disc and a herniation. i am really afraid of the pain i am going to have after the surgery. i have been in alot of painfor the past year and cant take it anymore. i do know this is the right choice. i have had a second opioion and they agreed on the surgery. But i am worried about the recovery time.
cboncal1972 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-26-2012, 11:09 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Embrace the surgery if you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboncal1972 View Post
I am going in sept for a fusion of l4 and l5. i have stenosis along with a bulging disc and a herniation. i am really afraid of the pain i am going to have after the surgery. i have been in alot of painfor the past year and cant take it anymore. i do know this is the right choice. i have had a second opioion and they agreed on the surgery. But i am worried about the recovery time.
CBONCAL, don't be afraid of the surgery. It is painful but it should work. I have had L5-6 done and 8 levels of C2-T3. It's not easy to get it done but hopefully you will have a good outcome. Do you have someone who can help you before and after surgery? Count on 40-60 percent. It's enough to make it better.

The pain med problem is because of the workers comp I am afraid. My pain mgmt doc does other things and I prefer it to drugs.

Being really afraid is normal but stress makes your pain worse. It's a vicious cycle. Pain, stress, more pain, more stress.

I am so sorry you are going through this. (read my "story about CAL workers Comp and me.") It's not fair.

Are you in Southern Cal?

Be strong, I am glad they are doing something.

Malindak
MalindaK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:32 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am not going to insult you and say that it will be a cake walk. It won't be. I don't think it will be as bad as you fear. Will you have a decent support system at home when you are discharged? Regardless, make certain the house is clean and the laundry is caught up before you go in. Cook and freeze ahead so those around you just need to nuke the entree. I know it is still hot but it will be helpful to have lots of veggie soup, chili and stew made ahead and frozen. I think the waiting is the worst part. Stay busy. If you can't stay busy, stay distracted by favorite movies and good books. If your meds make it difficult to read, get audio books. I can't read anymore (retention problems) and listen to several books a week. That works for me. You will be fine. It's going to hurt for a while but that will taper off. Best wishes.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:19 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spine95 View Post
I am not going to insult you and say that it will be a cake walk. It won't be. I don't think it will be as bad as you fear. Will you have a decent support system at home when you are discharged? Regardless, make certain the house is clean and the laundry is caught up before you go in. Cook and freeze ahead so those around you just need to nuke the entree. I know it is still hot but it will be helpful to have lots of veggie soup, chili and stew made ahead and frozen. I think the waiting is the worst part. Stay busy. If you can't stay busy, stay distracted by favorite movies and good books. If your meds make it difficult to read, get audio books. I can't read anymore (retention problems) and listen to several books a week. That works for me. You will be fine. It's going to hurt for a while but that will taper off. Best wishes.
I agree. Not a cake walk, but when I went in, I knew I had surgical pain but after surgery I could tell the searing, awful pain I had lived with was better.

Best wishes to you, please write back in when you can after surgery.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Is your stenosis really bad? Is that why they're doing the fusion? Cause I don't see why they'd be doing a fusion for a bulge and herniation.

I'm sure you're going to be pretty sore afterwards, and like the others have said, you're going to need help for about the first week afterwards. Make sure you have some meals made up beforehand, and frozen so you don't have to cook when you get home. Have a walker rented from a pharmacy or health supply store, cause you're going to be uneasy on your feet and may feel "wobbly" at first. So having a walker at home would be smart.

Make SURE you talk with your doctor beforehand about post-surgery medication! You're going to need pain medication and Vicodiin probably won't do it! That's usually what they give you, as that's ALWAYS what they gave me after my spinal surgeries. Believe me, it didn't TOUCH the pain. So talk with him about the pain meds BEFORE you go in!

Make sure your laundry is all done before you go in. You won't be able to do any laundry after surgery. And of course like the other poster mentioned, you willl NOT be able to vacuum. My neurosurgeon told me I should NEVER vacuum again! He said that vacuuming is the WORST thing a spine patient can do, along with raking leaves. He said the back & forth motion is HORRIBLE for a spine patient, and never to do it again!

I can't think of much more to add -- I'll probably think of all kinds of things inn the middle of the night. LOL God bless and take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:50 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I can't remember which angel gave me this hint, years ago. Set up a foldable table next to where you will be camping out....the bed, the sofa, the recliner. yada yada. Put bins on the table to organize your "stuff" A med bin is neccessity, toilletries with GOOD hand/body creme, sleepware, mags and books. You want face and baby wipes for the toilletries bin. Snack bin!!!!! Tie a string around your remotes and tie that to the table or bedpost. Those dang things just jump off the bed. It is much safer to pull them off the floor by the string than try to snatch them up with a grabber. That can require too much stretching.

If you have plenty of help, this would be a good time to get your place deep cleaned. You won't be doing that for quite a while. Get it done while your friends and family are really feeling sorry for you and willing to do just about anything for you. That won't last long. I consider this making the best of a bad situation. If you cook with cast iron, borrow some lighter weight things for a while and keep them on the kitchen counter so you don't have to bend. You'll do fine. Best wishes.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:15 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

i ha d spinal fusion 1 week ago today, posterior , the first night i was miserable i could nt even turn or move my back at all alot of pain dilaudid pca works well however it made me sick, had to have reglan fixed my stomach, the next day i got up with a walker and a brace went home the next day with raised tiolet seat, shower chair, reacher , a device to put socks on and a long handle shoe horn and sponge for bathing, take a stool softner i got constipated , its been one week when i get uo i put my brace on and take norco for pain , evey day is a tad better
msbyrd0915 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:10 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbyrd0915 View Post
i ha d spinal fusion 1 week ago today, posterior , the first night i was miserable i could nt even turn or move my back at all alot of pain dilaudid pca works well however it made me sick, had to have reglan fixed my stomach, the next day i got up with a walker and a brace went home the next day with raised tiolet seat, shower chair, reacher , a device to put socks on and a long handle shoe horn and sponge for bathing, take a stool softner i got constipated , its been one week when i get uo i put my brace on and take norco for pain , evey day is a tad better

I am glad you are better. And you are right. Pain meds do make you can very constipated. That's why I only take them if I am in dire pain.Keep on with the work you are doing. and don't stop moving. I am glad it's behind you.