Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 12:01 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default surgery wednesday morning

Hi everyone!!!! Im beginning to get very nervous. My surgery acdf 3 level c-3/4-c5/6, is wednesday morning @ 7:30. Im feel totally overwhelmed with it all. And I can totally feel for what Beckel said about being nervous but staying positive. I also feel it will work. I cant stand this pain any longer so it better lol! And Also where people expect you to still be able to do everything. No one seems to really understand this. Although my husband and mom are amazing, they dont really understand. Ive never had major surgery and I am only 41!!! So many things are running through my head now. This is somuch to question and wonder about!!!! One question I have is do they always either use donor bone or youre own? My ns had never addressed this with me.
mrsalkire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-27-2012, 07:38 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I had donor bone with my c4-7 ACDF with instrumentation. The neurosurgeon I does not do autographs because he says there are greater risks of complications with the additional incision and bone removal than there are with using donor material, plus the recovery is easier (less pain from not having a second procedure). Based on limited research before the surgery, it appears that the use of donor material is just as safe as using your own. It's been almost a year since my surgery and I've had no problems with the graft.

Hope that helps! I'm sure there are others here that have more knowledge and experience with this issue. Take care and you'll be in my thoughts and prayers!
lal209 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:22 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have had an autograph twice. The bone retrieval was more painful than the repair and seemed to take forever to quiet down. Check with your surgeon and see if he is planning on using Infuse compound made by Medtronic. It is only to be used on one level at a time. If used off label, it increases the risk of overgrowth. My spinal surgeon who was involved in the research and developement of Infuse used it on three levels without telling me in advance. I have overgrowth and nobody will touch it. Best wishes.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:10 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. Everyone seems to have different experiences as every case is unique. My best friend had 2 level c5-c7 last year and is now doing fine, but was off work 6 weeks. His included plates and screws. I had single level in June and was off work 2 weeks but no plates or screws (you can read about my experience under posting "ACDF with ROI-C Implant"). It's been 2 months and I'm still having manageable pain, but the original excruciating pain went away immediately with surgery. I put off the surgery too long and developed nerve damage and loss of arm strength...just as the doctors warned me might happen. I haven't taken anything other than Aleve for pain for many weeks, and usually only one or two pills/day.
tdj2591 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:24 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I want to add that I had two surgeries in the cervical area you are dealing with. The end result is that my neck has been stable and relatively pain free since 1996. I am 63 now and there have been some predictable arthritic changes in the area but only cause minor problems with radical changes in the weather or times of stress. It's nothing that a little moist heat and muscle rub won't cure. Best wishes.

Last edited by Spiney95; 08-28-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: sp.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsalkire (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 07:23 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default thanks!

Thanks to everyone who responded and those who are praying for me and my recovery. I received the phone call a bit ago saying to be there @ 5:30 tomorrow morning. Kinda freaking out a little bit now that its here. More of the unknown than anything else. So tomorrow at this time...... My life will change one way or another......... ugh!
mrsalkire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote