Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 03:24 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Will I need Surgery MRI Reading Help Please

MRI: Mild desiccation of the disc is apparent at C3/3.At C3/4, there appears to be a small right posterolateral disc osteophyte complex causing moderate narrowing of the right inter-vertebral neutral foramen. At C4/5, desiccation of the disc is present without disc herniation,spinal stenosis or nerve root compression, although there is some minimal right-sided foraminal narrowing due to disc osteophyte complex.

The C5/6 disc shows a broad-based right paracentral posterior disc herniation with compression of the thecal sac and spinal cord resulting in spinal stenosis with the AP mid-sagittal diameter of the spinal canal being narrowed to approximately 5mm, Myelomalacia is not clearly identified. The broad-based disc protrusion results in moderate to severe right lateral recess and foraminal stenosis as well which may result in right C6 radiculopathy and milder narrowing of the left lateral recess is also noted.

P.S. I have been off of work and I am very much pain.I live in Ontario and a good Neurologist appointment. is a 2-3 year wait. I believe the second paragraph would be the one giving me much grief. Does that one look like I would require surgery to fix? or would some sort of therapy fix it?

Thank you so much, this is my first post, and hope I did it correct,
Kim
Checker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Gracemary (10-08-2012)

advertisement
Old 09-04-2012, 04:10 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Let me see if I can help in layman's language:

At C3-4 & C4-5 you have "drying out" of the discs (dessication) which means that the discs tend to flatten out and that makes them bulge and sometimes herniate. That also makes them push on nerves and that HURTS. Everyone has this, it's just some of us get it earlier than others.

At C3-4 you also have bone spurs which causes moderate narrowing of the neural foramen. The foramen is the hole which the nerves go thru to the spinal cord.

At C4-5 you have bone spurs which causes minimal neural narrowing of the neural foramen.

At C5-6 you have a herniation of the disc with compression of the thecal sac. The thecal sac is the membrane of dura matter that surrounds the spinal cord & the cauda equina. The thecal sac is filled with cerebral spiinal fluid. The disc also compresses the spinal cord resulting in spinal stenosis with the saggital diameter of the spinal canal being narrowed to approximately 5mm. The disc protrusion results in moderate to severe lateral recess and and foraminal stenosis (narrowing) which might result in right C6 radiculopathy (radiating pain).

What kind of symptoms are you having, i.e numbness, tingling, etc? From what I can tell (and I'M NO DOCTOR) I don't think you'd need surgery, but I would certainly get more than one opinion.

I think it's AWFUL that you have to wait that long just for an appointment! Our health system is screwed up for sure, but it's nothing like that! We can go to whomever we want, and all we have to do is call someone and get in within a matter of perhaps a 3-4 week period. But PLEASE if it's at ALL possible, make sure you get more than one opinion. And try ALL conservative methods before opting for surgery because surgery will NOT relieve all your pain. Surgery is ONLY for mechanical problems. The vast majority of times you will end up with the same pain or worse after surgery! I've had 3 spinal surgeries (one was a spinal cord stimulator implant) the other 2 were open spinal surgeries and I'm in worse shape now than before. In fact, I'm disabled now. So try every thing you can before undergoing surgery.

Best of luck and God bless. Please let us know what happens, ok? We really care here! Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (09-08-2012), Gracemary (10-08-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 04:31 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I thank you very much for your help and prompt reply. My neck pain is very severe, and the intense pain has subsided for the time being. I believe this is an issue that stemmed back to 2002 and driving a forklift for over 10 years a CT scan cleared my neck at the time.I had much Chiropractic care that I believe help it lay dormant for this many years but still not diagnosed. The pain continued over the years pretty bad in my left shoulder and that is what the Doctors were concentrating on. I also unaware of from what suffered ear ringing, and swooshing,flash spot i see and my whole face gets sore,numbness on my left side and feet. I have been to the eye and ear Doctor with nothing wrong. Recently at the end of June, something brought out my disc pain very severe where I get intense waves of pain where it just hurts to move, hurts my both shoulders have radiating pain, my whole body,face,numbness on left side down to my feet,hurts to swallow and my throat makes my voice raspy. The intenseness has subsided but my neck is still very sore where I cannot work. My doctor did not recommend to me any therapy, he just said I need to see a Neurosurgeon. So, I gathered its pretty bad.I believe The CT scan of my neck way back was not 100% accurate and an MRI would have save me all these years of it getting worse. 10 years I have suffered with this not being diagnosed and being persistent I had a lot of pain and being fluffed off by many Doctors.
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (09-05-2012), ginnie (09-08-2012), Gracemary (10-08-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 04:43 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

A note to my symptoms, my front right lymph node is also swollen and tender. I am having an ultrasound of it, but I believe it is caused from the issues from my neck.
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (09-05-2012), ginnie (09-08-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 04:46 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I can't really add anything to what Lee had to say. Second opinions are always in order when dealing with something as important as the spine. Don't hesitate to post and and all questions. There are no dumb ones. There's plenty of knowlege and experience here..........and broad shoulders. Best wishes.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Checker (09-04-2012), ger715 (09-05-2012), ginnie (09-08-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 07:03 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I forgot to add one thing -- PLEASE don't go to a CHIROPRACTOR AGAIN. One more manipulation could end you in a wheelchair or paralyzed, especially the shape you're in right now.

My neurosurgeon said that ANY spinal patient risks paralyzation because Chiro's don't have the intense training that Neuro's do and they don't have access to an MRI so you're putting yourself at risk by allowing manipulation.

So I just wanted to throw that out. I know some people use Chiros as a last resort -- in fact before I'd ever been diagnosed or gone to a Neuro, I went to a Chiro myself --- and he promptly broke my STERNUM! Do you know how hard it is to breathe with a broken sternum? OUCH! lol

Anyway, PLEASE keep us posted on your progress, etc., ok? God bless & take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (09-05-2012), ginnie (09-08-2012), Gracemary (10-08-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 12:32 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you very much for you information and help
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 09-07-2012, 11:10 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
Thank you very much for you information and help
Anything less than 8mm AP canal diameter is termed absolute stenosis and is definitely potentially surgical. You should be following up ASAP with a spine ortho or neurosurgeon (not necessarily because you need surgery; but you are in the ballpark)!

Oh, and you don't have to worry about a chiropractor munching you. Absolute stenosis is a contraindication to manipulation.

Leesa....fractured sternum....really??? Never heard of such a thing from manipulation. Fractured rib here and there on rare occasion. Oh, FYI....Neurosurgeon and orthopedic surgeon referrals to me made up 50% of my practice so there is not resolute agreement with the ole goat you went to. And yes, we do have access to MRI....I ordered hundreds over 20+ years of practice. And one last thought...it wasn't a chiropractor that took me out of practice and disabled me; it was an orthopedic surgeon
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 08:11 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Dubious ~ Are you doubting he actually broke my sternum? Cause he DID. I know the difference between broken ribs & the sternum.

And I meant that Chiro's didn't have "in-house" MRI's - sure, any of them can order them.

I didn't even KNOW you were disabled, so why the remark about the Chiro & Orthopedic surgeon? I thought you were still practicing.

And why do you dislike me so much? You're always picking on me. Leave me alone, will ya? Sheeesh.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 09-08-2012, 01:29 PM #10
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi to all

Hi leesa, you were right about that report. You always do a very good job of explaining things to people. I also agree, the dear person needs a second opinion. You research carefully, and I for one value your knowledge. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Gracemary (10-08-2012), spine95 (09-08-2012)