Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 09:12 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default 2 months with back pain and no relief...

Hello all. New guy here, hoping to find a solution to my problem.

Back in July, I hurt my back on the job. I've been to the doctor and have had an X-ray and an MRI. Both supposedly looked fine. I also went to physical therapy for 4 weeks, but it didn't help. The doctor assumes it's "just a strain" but it doesn't seem like a strain to me.

The pain I'm having comes from this one spot on my spine. When I'm sitting or lying down, it feels like there's some kind of pressure, but doesn't really hurt. It's just mildly annoying.

When I'm up and moving around is when it starts to bother me. Walking, bending, etc, can some days be a real challenge. Pain pills help a little bit, but not a lot.

Anyone else went through something similar? Any advice?
stalyun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-25-2012, 09:59 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyun View Post
Hello all. New guy here, hoping to find a solution to my problem.

Back in July, I hurt my back on the job. I've been to the doctor and have had an X-ray and an MRI. Both supposedly looked fine. I also went to physical therapy for 4 weeks, but it didn't help. The doctor assumes it's "just a strain" but it doesn't seem like a strain to me.

The pain I'm having comes from this one spot on my spine. When I'm sitting or lying down, it feels like there's some kind of pressure, but doesn't really hurt. It's just mildly annoying.

When I'm up and moving around is when it starts to bother me. Walking, bending, etc, can some days be a real challenge. Pain pills help a little bit, but not a lot.

Anyone else went through something similar? Any advice?
Hi.....it seems to me the next step would be to see a neurologist...depending on how recent your last MRI was he/she would need to see those films....possibly the doctor will send you for a myelogram and that will give them a better idea why you are having that issue....I have been dealing with back issues since 2001 now....a lumbar and cervical surgery...bone spurs...etc;...and am still dealing with issues....I wish you the best
Nanaontheverge53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:55 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Exactly WHERE in the back does it hurt? That might tell us something. It's hard to know without more info.

Did he give you any more informaton other than just "strain?"

Let us know where it hurts, and maybe we can tell you something but otherwise I'd tell you to see a NEUROSURGEON, not A Neurologist.

Best of luck and hope to hear from you soon. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
Exactly WHERE in the back does it hurt? That might tell us something. It's hard to know without more info.

Did he give you any more informaton other than just "strain?"

Let us know where it hurts, and maybe we can tell you something but otherwise I'd tell you to see a NEUROSURGEON, not A Neurologist.

Best of luck and hope to hear from you soon. Hugs, Lee
That might be a good idea also...however....I had to see my neurologist first and had to be referred to the neurosurgeon (of course that was based on my insurance at that time) for the bone spurs at the base of my brain which led to the cervical fusion
Nanaontheverge53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:51 PM #5
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Are you going thru workers comp for the job injury?

Approximately what level or area of the spine did the injury happen to?
Upper back, mid back, low back?
Was it a hit, fall, or twist injury?
The Dr or PT should have mentioned a specific level like T8, L3 etc.

Did the PT use any ultrasound, electric stimulation or low level laser to help resolve some of the pain and or spasms?
If not perhaps an expert chiropractor that uses these modalities would be of help.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:02 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for all the responses.

The area that hurts is right about in the middle of my back, on the spine. I think it's called the thoracic region. It's just one small area.

PT doesn't really seem to do anything for me, other than make my lower back sore and irritate the area that's always hurting and make it hurt worse. A couple of days of not doing PT and my lower back feels fine, but the area on my spine continues to hurt.

The injury was caused when an elderly gentleman I work with tried to stand up from his wheelchair and began to fall. I was behind the wheelchair, at a weird angle, and reached over the wheelchair to grab him to keep him from falling, and twisted my back in the process.

And yes, I'm going through workers comp.
stalyun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:55 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Personally I'd stay away from a Chiropractor, but perhaps a massage would do the trick. You might have a muscle strain/sprain going here. If it's a sprain, it's going to take awhile to heal. Massage would certainly make it feel better.

You might ask the doc for some muscle relaxers and see if that will work. If it does, then you'll know what you're working with here. I would think he woulld give you some since he thinks it's a strain --and you're bound to have some spasms.

See what he says and let us know. God bless & take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:49 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Also ask the doctor about using a theraputic swimming pool. That can be soooo soothing. Best wishes.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote