Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 06:41 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Ortho appt afteer 3 1/2 months

Finally had orthopedic therapy after my accident which was 4 June 2012. Was WC injury and since it was a concussion I got railroaded to a WC nuerologists.
No other doctor has even looked at my back to date. The therapist said that I have twisted vertabrae in middle and lower back and that there is a possibility that I have bulging disk/s in lower back.

They tried some myofascial release techniques. Some were not to bad and some hurt like H__l. At home now and back is really hurting. There has been no xrays or imaging of my back to date. If some one could give alittle insight I would greatly appreciate it. I have extreme pain daily because of this and feel it is never going to end.

To see the divine in the moment.
rmschaver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-25-2012, 10:11 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

With a WC claim , much of it is in the details, was a fall or hit to the back recorded & reported at the time of the claim filing?

If not it would need to be added to the claim, but is usually only successful if you had no prior back injury. Possibly it could be added as an aggravation by the original injury(concussion).

Depending on the details and how the injury occurred, or if the back didn't hurt before and is now starting too..
\like with whiplash , often it begins to hurt after the fact, sometimes much later.

Do you have a wc atty representing you?
Do you have your own dr providing care & treatment?
With complicated claims , multiple injuries you really need a atty on your side.

I know state laws/rules differ, so maybe the wc system where you are is not the same as I experienced.

I was able to use my own dr (approved by wc) and my dr rx'd the treatments /therapy, restrictions/time off etc and wc (& employer) accepted it or denied it.

At one point I did go on a cash basis , no ins forms or paperwork - outside of the wc system -to get some help from a expert chiropractor & an evaluation/helpful suggestions from an adv PT person, as I was not seeing much improvement with only wc allowed limited PT.

Some wc attys have suggested drs lists that tend to be helpful for injury/claims.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:25 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default WC

Yes all documented. Stuck in WC system. Debating the cash basis side if required. Presently OT is not seeing any improvement and is considering sending recommendation to treating DR for ortho DR refferal. Have had atty since a few weeks after accident as work mngmt kept pushing to keep me at work.

Finally had TIA, headache and PCS dx at ER visit. Sorry for so late a reply. Have returned to work 1/2 day and it is wearing me out.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default wc struggles...

I am dealing with WC - I have a list of ortho injuries - just saw doc today. I had a semi failed shoulder surgery - seems WC only sees any injury through to a stabilization stage. so if back is not to bad while sitting then voila youre curred in their eyes. The auto on the other side is where I believe you are to be medically treated for the injury and loss of use. It would be interested to know if in your state you can now go to the doc of your choice. In PA it is 90 days.
I wish I could go back to the job I was doing if only to verify or see firsthand if I could keep up and handle that type of inviornment. I was in technology and I was told it is one of the most multi-tasking type vocation to be in.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:34 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default WC rules

In VA no, you cannot break the chain or refferal unless you want to go out of pocket. My return to work is just sitting in a chair 4 hours a day. So It is not work in any sense.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:22 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Can anything be done almost a year later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmschaver View Post
In VA no, you cannot break the chain or refferal unless you want to go out of pocket. My return to work is just sitting in a chair 4 hours a day. So It is not work in any sense.

Hi I was in an auto acident a year ago. I had a good chiro, but made the mistake of working at reduced hours and in pain etc.. I got worse, but the ortho Doc I saw did nothing further and I cotinued to get worse. Esp in Neck. I am in CA. Is there anything or anyone can do to help me esp in my neck this far out? I have had a lot of changes in neck/back..
ShannEL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:24 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmschaver View Post
Finally had orthopedic therapy after my accident which was 4 June 2012. Was WC injury and since it was a concussion I got railroaded to a WC nuerologists.
No other doctor has even looked at my back to date. The therapist said that I have twisted vertabrae in middle and lower back and that there is a possibility that I have bulging disk/s in lower back.

They tried some myofascial release techniques. Some were not to bad and some hurt like H__l. At home now and back is really hurting. There has been no xrays or imaging of my back to date. If some one could give alittle insight I would greatly appreciate it. I have extreme pain daily because of this and feel it is never going to end.
Find a doctor of your own asap, you have the right to see your own doctor. good luck.
bretd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:31 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretd View Post
Find a doctor of your own asap, you have the right to see your own doctor. good luck.
In CA, you don't have the option of seeing your own doc on a WC injury (bar rare instances). When the doc finds out it is WC and they don't have authorization to treat, it won't happen. SOL. You can tell the doc you'll pay cash, they won't accept it because they would be defrauding you of your WC "rights" and suffer severe consequences if popped so I doubt you will be worthy enough for them to risk their license and subject themselves to financial and professional recourse. So....you can find an attorney and treat on a lien. That keeps it legal and is about all you can do here. Every state is different....
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:20 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
In CA, you don't have the option of seeing your own doc on a WC injury (bar rare instances). When the doc finds out it is WC and they don't have authorization to treat, it won't happen. SOL. You can tell the doc you'll pay cash, they won't accept it because they would be defrauding you of your WC "rights" and suffer severe consequences if popped so I doubt you will be worthy enough for them to risk their license and subject themselves to financial and professional recourse. So....you can find an attorney and treat on a lien. That keeps it legal and is about all you can do here. Every state is different....
I disagree totally with that Dubious. I live in Michigan, I was injured and went and seen my own doctor the next day, and never seen a workers comp. doctor until almost two years later when they tryed to cut my benefits. I cannot believe the rules on this would be much different state to state. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SEE YOUR OWN DOCTOR.
bretd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:25 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

.......and then there are the doctors who will not take WC due to slow pay/no pay issues. The regs do vary from state to state.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote