Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 09:05 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hubby broke his c1 in 5 places, c2 dens and had a stroke and concussion #worried

Hey, Mark in Idaho, and other NT members,

Thought I would post here to get more help from members of Neurotalk Communities.

Hubby fell off this ladder, or he was trying to get on or off the roof of the cages, (the actual moment of fall a little unclear, understandably) on 07-04-12, 4th of July, and sustained a Jefferson C1 fractures/burst in five places, and C2 fracture of the dens.

He also suffered a stroke of the right vertebral artery on the side, with major damage to the right cerebellar. He has some "dots" on the left side, unexplained right now, of his left cerebellar. The possibility of a stroke/blackout causing his fall is entertained as "possible."

Unfortunately, he also had a concussion on the left side, just past his ear. I kept wondering, "What did he hit?" I went back to the sceen and took those pictures probably a week later and discovered the spray can. I think that's what his head hit to cause the fractures. By the way, the ladder is still standing, today. He braced it good so the ladder wouldn't fall and him on it. He did a great job with that part.

He is so active... this is terrible for him to endure.

He has been a great patient through all this. Getting frustrated sometime, but understandably, he has a right to get upset.

He had some bleeding from his left nostril in the ER and I swabbed his ear with a Q-Tip, on Healthsouth admit 2 weeks later, and got dried blood out of his right ear. So, it was major closed head injury, I think.

He was treated for hyponatremia in St. Mary's and the same doctor followed him at Healthsouth. They gave him sodium tablets X2, 3 times a day. Thought that was unusual for a 25 history pt with hypertension and high blood pressure, but I understand that was pretty serious. It was never made clear if that was for brain swelling or kidney function. Doc told me, this just happens sometimes...

His left side area of head was extremely sore and slightly swollen. Even his hair hurt. The lamb's wool from the vest hurt his left side of neck, face, and ear and past ear, at first. It is still very tender and sore to touch. #bad

He is a miracle X3... We thank God and his good graces for all that he is today.

His has recovered miraculously from the stroke. The cerebellar is a very forgiving part of the brain, I have come to understand.

He walks, talks, thinks, eats and does most ADLs by himself, with little supervision.

He has had a lot of visual disturbances. Most of those have cleared up and are rare these days. He cannot see good enough to read, without magnifying glasses. He has been to a vision neuro rehab physician, who can't examine him properly because of his halo, but assures him he is not going to go blind. At times, he cannot see very well, at all. Mostly upon waking or when he is very tired. It was always the case in the hospital, upon waking, for about a week and a half.

From day one after the fall, his hearing was supersonic and hypersensitive to any noise. Even trying to work on my laptop disturbed him to a very irritating point.

He is fortunate; in that, most C1 fractures are fatal. Out of 11,000 a year, 6,000 die, 5,000 are quadriplegics. Somehow he fell in the 3% that live, with no paralysis. Again, give the Lord all the praise and glory for that.

He has had great medical attention. From the ALS ambulance that arrived quickly, to the fabulous ER doctor, to the airlift team awaiting some accident to occur on the 4th of July, the two weeks in St. Mary's, then two weeks of acute rehab at Healthsouth Rehab.

He has been up and about, milling around the properties like a trooper. He is very tough and stubborn.

As of 8-29-12, his last CT scan, "There is no new boney growth seen." #BIGPROBLEM

His first neurosurgeon stabilized him with a halo implant on 07-05-12. In post-op he was complaining about being upsidedown, and me being slanted when I was at the side of the bed.

The halo is not comfortable, but it keeps him stable, and alive, I believe. His pins are clean, with no infections. Vest care is appropriately done, with no skin breaks or sores.

The neurosurgeon at St. Mary's did not recommend surgery at that time, as this is kinda "no man's land" to operate at this level. Since he was not a quadriplegic, he wanted to give him a fair chance to heal, I feel. We were told 2 months in the halo and then 2 weeks in a soft collar. That didn't happen. We thought he would since he recovered from wrist and hand bone fractues in 2006, with no residual problems.

We have canceled two appointments with neurosurgeon at St. Mary's, and the scheduled CTs at St. Mary's.

We do have a second opinion, from University of Louisville. A great, very confident, young complex neurosurgeon, who came from Orgeon and signed on with U of L in September of this year, who has recommended cervical fusion at three levels. This neurosurgeon gave his stroke immedate attention and ordered MRIs with contrast. referred him to a neurovascular physician who put him on a regimen of aspirin. I don't have report in front of me, but nothing surprising but was more helpful to the doctors to understand the degree of damage to the cerbellar and arteries.

Hubby will not enterain this advice for fusion but says his halo is coming off in four months, anyway. This could mean death, paralysis, or a number of bad things. He is getting around just fine, and is a mechanic, by trade. Fully capable of taking nuts and bolts off. It has happened before, where patients take them off. I don't think he will, but he's capable. #WORRIED

Right now, we're out of our PPO for U of Louisville, and anything in that area. So, that may buy us some time to figure things out. His surgeon is standing by, knife in hand, wanting to go forward, ASAP with fusion fixation. Once surgery is done, you can never go back. so...

He's on Medicare, but has some strange BCBS Senior Advantage -not sold as a supplement- policy that won't allow him to change during open enrollment, until Dec 31st. Could be God's way of taking care of us and teaching everyone patience, I hope, and letting him heal a little longer so bone may grab ahold and grow. God takes care of us, in these ways, in spite of our fool selves. I don't want to go into surgery and post-things out of PPO. #scary

The St. Mary's surgeon is a great surgeon but probably will have any surgery in Louisville, because our son/stepson is a doctor there now, and we'll be close to him. An excellent young man. Urologist/oncology. So proud of him.

If anyone has any experience, advice, or ways to grow bone, we would greatly appreaciate it. Any advice on all the other issues will also be welcomed.

I have attached photos for visual effects.

Will try to copy and move to neck and back forum, to get more attention to the neck. Not sure I can, so if Jo*mar or another can help, I would apprecaite that.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Didn't mean for post to be so long...

(Broken Wings)#worried! ! !
Attached Thumbnails
Hubby broke his c1 in 5 places, c2 dens and had a stroke and concussion #worried-john-ladder-jpg   Hubby broke his c1 in 5 places, c2 dens and had a stroke and concussion #worried-john-ground-jpg   Hubby broke his c1 in 5 places, c2 dens and had a stroke and concussion #worried-john-spray-jpg  

(Broken Wings) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-17-2012, 02:06 PM #2
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Hi Broken Wings,

So sorry for your DH's accident & injuries. I don't know enough to help with that, but please... take that ladder down asap. You don't need an attractive nuisance lawsuit on top of all this.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (10-17-2012)