Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 07:03 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default It all started from hip and back pain??

Hi,
Please could anyone help? My partner has always been fit and strong, he is 39 yrs old. For the last 19months he has been suffering and today is at suicide point.
The pain first started in his right hip (he discribes it as an electrical pain?) the pain then moved into his back, first time this happened he was hospitalised and on high painkillers, while in hospital the nurses were an hour late with the meds this resulted in extreme pain in lower back pouring with sweat and screaming out since this we know when the pain starts get the meds down quick to stop it getting to this level. he is currently taking gabapentin but when pain kicks in 4 tramadol 10 ml morphene, 2 diazipam, 2 painkillers. he takes slightly more and drops in and out of sleep and this helps him through. These attacks could happen anytime usualy when he has walked,his distance of walking is becoming less and less as time goes on. when he has walked too far he ends up in bed. If he over uses his back same thing.
Other symptoms that go with this are severe headaches lasting 2-3 days, no painkiller will shift this and he does not sleep for the first day, day 2 & 3 he dozes in and out of sleep.
As well as not being mobile he has different random feelings, e.g as if his legs are in 2 plaster casts heavy, one leg is in a hot bucket of tar, both feet are in ice cold buckets of water, toes are broken, bubble like feelings in the bones of the heels, both legs have wellies on full of water causing suction, when lied in bed one leg is as fat as the bed and one is slim, feeling as if one foot is facing outward when in fact it is facing inward, someone is slicing his thigh, someone is cutting his toe off, throbbing big toe, slicing his calfs, Numbness around right ear and down right side of face as if someone has wiped a jellyfish across, pain in back of eye, pain under left buttock (in a square patch), as if hips need clicking into place, the list goes on!
new symptoms are if he reaches out to grab something he gets an electric shock. Today he could not open his hand out from a curled position he had to use his other hand to sprize it open.

He is currently on a waiting list to fuse a nerve at the top of the heart as he has recently experienced rapid heart tate (SVT) Im not sure if this is linked with other nerve symptoms doctor says not, but it is a coincidence all this is happening at the same time.

He has seen an Orthopedic doctor and seen 3 different neuro surgeons (4 appts). When the first Orthopedic Doctor looked at the MRI scans he mentioned a lump on the nerve around the hip but said he would have had to have taken a masive impact to recieve any bruising to the nerve. I have asked about this lump again later but other neuro surgeons say there was no lump?? The 3rd neuro surgeon ordered a brain scan as she suspected MS but nothing was found also nothing found on 2 MRI scans of the spine. We are now waiting to see a neurologist 19 months later.

Recently, on fri 12th oct i had to ring an ambulance because he couldnt breathe in with back pain. The doc on the minor injury ward explained to me that his back spasms had pushed his diaphram causing pressure on his lungs and restricted his breathing?? He seemed quite relaxed about this as if it was an everyday occurance!! I am scared this will happen again.

Please post if you think you may know what this is, at least then i can mention to the Neurologist rather than missing something vital. I am not frightend by what i might hear it is more frightening not having a clue what it might be.
(Please excuse the spelling)

Thankyou in advance
Bev
Bevulz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-19-2012, 01:42 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Bev,
has anyone considered the possibility he has a mal-functioning nervous system?
Some years ago, my son began presenting with strange neurological symptoms that, like your partner's, couldn't be pigeon-holed. Following an MRI his nervous system was found to be intact but it mal-functioned.
Tenderfoot.
Tenderfoot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:26 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderfoot View Post
Hi Bev,
has anyone considered the possibility he has a mal-functioning nervous system?
Some years ago, my son began presenting with strange neurological symptoms that, like your partner's, couldn't be pigeon-holed. Following an MRI his nervous system was found to be intact but it mal-functioned.
Tenderfoot.
Hi, no this has not been mentioned, but i will ask when we get to see the neurologist, he is booked in for a nerve conduct test on the 25th oct i will mention this aswell. thankyou for your reply very much appreciated x
Bevulz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:47 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default So sorry

I dont have answers. I wish I did, however I do know pain and nerve issues as I am still dealing with it.\ almost 2 month out from 3 level acdf. I thiought I would be back to my "normal" self by now and its not happening so far. I really hope this next appt you have will bring some answers for you guys. Any answer is better than no answer I know.

Keep us posted ok?
hugs,
Kelli
mrsalkire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote