Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 08:10 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Real bad night

Bizzare pain in the right leg. It appears to be originating in the lower lumbar,per ususal, the Fibro spots are off the wall and the pain is the most severe in the knee joint. I have never had that. The knee pain is a deep ache, not my typical neuropathy. I can't stand and use the rollator as I can not tollerate any weight on the leg. When I crawl, I just have to drag the bad leg along behind me. I haven't fallen in the last week or so. It wouldn't surprise me if I have damaged the knee, given all of the falls I have taken on my knees. I am scheduled for an MRI on Thurs. and maybe it will show something. I wish this would all go away. Not likely, eh? There's no point in asking why. It just is. Y'all have a good day. Hopefully I will get some blessed sleep when the morning meds kick.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-23-2012, 09:01 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Spine95 -- is it BEHIND the knee or in front? If it's behind, and since you said you think it's originating from the lower back, it could be sciatica. Sciatica DOES make the knee hurt, behind it, plus it goes on down the leg after awhile. It's REALLY painful, and like you say, it's a deep ache -- it feels like it goes thru and into the bone. I've had it for many many years.

Whatever it is, I'm so sorry you're hurting so. Gosh, I hope nothing went haywire. I hope it's just a spasm or some weird thing that is going to stop and quickly as it started. Please let us know what happens, will you? I'd really like to know what the MRI says, okay?

Take care & good luck! Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Spiney95 (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 07:38 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
Hi Spine95 -- is it BEHIND the knee or in front? If it's behind, and since you said you think it's originating from the lower back, it could be sciatica. Sciatica DOES make the knee hurt, behind it, plus it goes on down the leg after awhile. It's REALLY painful, and like you say, it's a deep ache -- it feels like it goes thru and into the bone. I've had it for many many years.

Whatever it is, I'm so sorry you're hurting so. Gosh, I hope nothing went haywire. I hope it's just a spasm or some weird thing that is going to stop and quickly as it started. Please let us know what happens, will you? I'd really like to know what the MRI says, okay?

Take care & good luck! Hugs, Lee
Hi Lee. I slept most of the day and when I woke up it was over. The pain was in the side of the knee and lasted about 24 hours. It was the darnest thing, unlike any sensation I have had before. I am guessing it is some sort of new sciatica manifestation. I most certainly could have done without that one. On the other hand, I am glad it isn't the joint itself. Never a dull moment, eh? Have a good night.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Leesa (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 03:10 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney95 View Post
Hi Lee. I slept most of the day and when I woke up it was over. The pain was in the side of the knee and lasted about 24 hours. It was the darnest thing, unlike any sensation I have had before. I am guessing it is some sort of new sciatica manifestation. I most certainly could have done without that one. On the other hand, I am glad it isn't the joint itself. Never a dull moment, eh? Have a good night.
L3-4 will make it hurt there, I get it constantly with no relief except it is both legs. If you actually go up your thigh @ 3" or so you will feel one of the tender points from your fibro. Put moist heat there and massage it, it helps a little, but that nerve runs directly through there. Hope that helps for the next time it happens
gatorhead is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Spiney95 (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 03:22 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

thank God it went away! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow when you have your MRI -- hope you get your results quickly. Be sure and let us know what the results are! I'm hoping there's nothing wrong! But I know you want some answers too.

Too bad you have to wait over the weekend, but hopefully by Tuesday or Wed. you'll have the results. Keeping my fingers crossed & prayers too! Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:40 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhead View Post
L3-4 will make it hurt there, I get it constantly with no relief except it is both legs. If you actually go up your thigh @ 3" or so you will feel one of the tender points from your fibro. Put moist heat there and massage it, it helps a little, but that nerve runs directly through there. Hope that helps for the next time it happens
Hi Gator!!!
Yep, that's the point that was the worst and I gave it the old gentle massage, accupressure and moist heat. I periodly rubbed in a little Duragesic Rub which often helps. The knee is just fine now. No trouble but the Fibro is jumping all over. My aid came this morning and I got a nice long hot soak so that brought it all down a bit. This to shall pass.
"Thanks for this!" says:
gatorhead (10-25-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 01:14 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am suspected to have fibro myself. It is either that or one form or another of arthritis. I have yet to be able to see a rheumy so it is an assumption based upon having all the tender spots, severe fatigue and full body pain. But since I am also a spiney top and bottom it correlates with those injuries as well. I am male so that puts me in the lower percentile, but my RF factor was abnornaml high, and my mother also has Fibro.......The particular dermatome you are experiencing pain from should originate from the outer part of the hip ans sweep across and downward of the thigh into the inside knee. If that is the path felt then it is resultant from L3-4.
gatorhead is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Spiney95 (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 05:31 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am too familiar with L3-4 symptoms. I have a titanium cage there. This was the first time the pain went into the knee itself. Always something new and life is never dull. At least if it happens again, I won't go into a panic over what it could be and take comfort in knowing that it will pass without major medical intervention. Be well.
"Thanks for this!" says:
gatorhead (10-26-2012)