Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 01:21 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default L5 S1 Surgery Failed Surgery

I'm going on almost 1 yesr since my back surgery with no pain relief and now I have friends pushing me towards getting a Spine Stimulator has anyone out there have success with this method of pain relief. I just can't do these pain medications anymore. On top of my back pain I also have neuorphathy in both hands and feet. I'm a mess and don't know what type of Doctor to see next.
mgrant03 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (10-25-2012)

advertisement
Old 10-25-2012, 05:43 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

A spinal cord stimulator is an EXCELLENT idea for pain relief BUT it's only good if you have pain in your legs. it's NOT good if it's only back pain. It won't work well for that. So if you have most of your pain in your legs, it's a good choice.

You should see a pain management doctor for this or even if you're not going for the stimulator, you should see one to see what can be done for your pain. There are other options besides the stimulator. There are plenty of procedures that can be done to help relieve the pain.

Your doctor should have told you that surgery is NOT for pain relief. It is only for mechanical problems. Most of the time after surgery you're left with the same pain or worse. It just doesn't relieve pain.

I hope the pain management doctor can help you. Let us know what happens, ok? We DO care! God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (10-25-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 03:23 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Mgrant03 ,
My Neurosurgeon's Registrar suggested a spinal cord stimulator at my last appointment in August this year. It's for my ongoing neuropathy down the back of my left leg & foot following my prolapse in July 2009. I had my L5S1 microdiscectomy in August 2010.

Like you, I've tried Pregabalin, and Amitryptilline, the latter of which worked well but I wasn't allowed to drive whilst taking it. It was also a nightmare coming off it after my op :

They decided to await the outcome of my neck op, hopefully sometime before Christmas.

I'll be interested to find out how you go on with the stimulator and I hope you get some relief soon, it's no joke this nerve pain keep us posted, yeah?
Best wishes,
Tenderfoot x
Tenderfoot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:23 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am facing a full lumbar scs soon. The trial eliminated ALL of the neuropathy....all of it. I was shocked. It was such a blessing to stand up straight and walk. I have pased the psych. eval and had a full spine MRI today so I should be seeing the surgeon soon. This won't control all of my issues but it will be wonderful to pull the neuropathy out of the mix. Best wishes.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote