Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 04:29 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New to Neuro Talk but an old hand at fusion

My first time posting here, although I've been a lurker (in a good way).

I'm fused from C3 through C7. And have been grateful for the positive results of each of them.

My body has now decided to work it's evil on my thoracic spine.
Symptoms are pretty much what others have reported. Two years ago it was "all in my head", now? Well even my uneducated eye can see the blown discs and degenerating structures on the latest MRI.

I see my neurosurgeon at 3:00 today for the "word". And my stars I hope it can be fixed.

When looking at the thoracic MRI from two years ago there are obvious (though smaller) protrusions at the same locations compared to the most recent MRI. I have come to wonder why intervention wasn't suggested back in 2010, sparing me the intervening 18 months of increasingly crippling problems. I'm sure there is no need to list them here. This is truly a forum of 'been there/done that' folks.

The current pain levels have rendered me angry and bitter. I'd love to sue the hell outta somebody for minimizing the problems to the point of postponing treatment to the point of debilitation. I can handle the pain, until it makes daily functioning impossible. I am 'lucky that I can work my life around the symptoms, until I can't anymore.

Whilst I await some resolution, I was wondering just how one would go about finding someone to read the MRI's apart from the physicians who evaluated the MRI's and wrote the reports. A forensic radiologist?

Heck, forget a lawsuit, I'd like to get a better handle on what those MRI's represent. And and even bigger question: What's next on the spinal degeneration course and what could I do to slow it down.

Last thought: As bad as it is (and whoo boy it's bad) my heart and thoughts go out to anybody having LUMBAR degeneration. Ya'll are pain racked hero's IMHO.
FAITHCARR is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (11-14-2012)

advertisement
Old 11-09-2012, 09:16 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAITHCARR View Post
Whilst I await some resolution, I was wondering just how one would go about finding someone to read the MRI's apart from the physicians who evaluated the MRI's and wrote the reports.
You get a copy of the scan, call around to other imaging facilities and inquire what they charge for an "overread." You will pay cash for this. Essentially it is a second opinion. Make sure they understand that there are no attorneys involved and no lawsuits (at this point) otherwise you will be met with only closed doors!
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-09-2012, 10:11 AM #3
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hello Faithcarr

I sure do have empathy for you. I have the same fusion C3-7. I am frightened just like you are. I had good results with my last fusion, but now I do have issues below the surgical site. I have no idea what will happen either.
As far as reading the MRI results, noone is professional here, but many are educated on the language those MRI's use. I look up each individual word. I never got a straight answer from my first neuro surgeon, and did not get good results first time around. For my own sanity, I ask here for help on reading MRI. Leesa is great, and has a great understanding of the structure of the spine. I will be having another MRI just as you are in the near future. Take care and keep in touch. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-10-2012, 12:04 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Best wishes and lotz of prayers.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-14-2012, 05:58 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default No Surgery For Me.

"We only do about one of these a year so it's steroids for you". (Like he's the steroid nazi)

Can't do the steroids. Won't do the steroids. Last time? Steroid Psychosis and psych care for 10 days. And blood glucose levels we couldn't get down below 600 without massive amounts of insulin and uncounted test pricks. Yoiks.

Oh, and id didn't work anyway.

So, what's next?

Going to noodle around this board for some pain management tips.
Chiropractic? Acupuncture? Massage? VooDoo?

PS. It's only the pain causing the anger and wanting to lash out with a lawyer.
FAITHCARR is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-14-2012, 01:33 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[QUOTE=FAITHCARR;931332]"We only do about one of these a year so it's steroids for you". (Like he's the steroid nazi)

Wow---I can relate ---I was on 80 mg steroids when Doc finally said ---we need to stop for awhile. Do you have your MRI yet to post? Just wondering your symptoms of throacic spine?? I did well for 18 months and starting to have other symptoms and I feel when I go back to see doctors they say-- wow you look great.. heathly ...etc....maybe outside inside I feel like a wreck. I had cervical mri .. not thoraic....having major shoulder and neck problems and alot of invountary twitching of muscles and weakness. I also think because I tend to be quiet when Im in pain ....Im not being taken as a bad case. I just have a feeling something is wrong and somehow being overlooked. Wish you the best ...it truly sucks to have pain on a daily basis.
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
thoraic disc disease