Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 08:43 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Facet Joint Hypertrophy ?

I have read and gathered various opinions and facts regarding this subject and it is a condition I am dealing with and being called severe. My original understanding of it has somewhat changed and I was wondering if you fine folks might have a firmer take on it than what I do.

So from what I was told is that the cartilage in between the facet joints (lumbar) is eroded or gone, and that the joint itself has basically been opened up to a point that it is unstable and moves freely often causing my back to be "out" which would be a chiropractic subluxation not a medical subluxation. You can audibly hear my back and hips grind with and flexion of the torso. It causes pain no matter what the category and the discs in those particular areas are torn, herniated and dehydrated so they want to fuse it. I have bilateral stenosis and central stenosis both moderate to severe. I am not a believer in low back surgery at this point in time.

From what I had gathered here was hypertrophic referred to spurring and bone overgrowth. I am finding different understandings for that term dependent on which part of the body. I am also going to post in the arthritis forum because I am SURE, not yet medically diagnosed, that I am battling one form or the other. I am leaning towards the RA side giving my findings and symptoms.

Thanks for any info or light you might be able to shed on the subject
gatorhead is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (11-20-2012)

advertisement
Old 11-20-2012, 12:33 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[QUOTE=mg neck prob;933220]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhead View Post
I have read and gathered various opinions and facts regarding this subject and it is a condition I am dealing with and being called severe. My original understanding of it has somewhat changed and I was wondering if you fine folks might have a firmer take on it than what I do.

Hello Gatorhead, im sorry btw neck shoulder back can you get a break?? I do have a close friend was diagnosed the same after conservative treatment of P.T and doing anti-inflamatory meds which did help for a short time. Decided to do a procedure called Facet Rhizitomy---which was done out patient he said very minimal procedure that burns the nerve he was told it had 70% success rate and it would be repeated if symptoms were to return. This as 6 months ago so far pain free. I remember he went in the morning that night he was at his sons game. Not sure if this a typical result for everyone--hopefully someone on here can shed more light. Gator---I admire your strength and I know your smart and will make educated choice. You know they say try everything before fusion as its perm.
Gator one ? for you I been having extreme muscle twitching....did u have that after your acdf??
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:41 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My understanding is facet hypertrophy is overgrowth of bone, and spurring. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong cause I hate to give out incorrect information!

But you sound like you've got a mighty painful condition! YIKES. I don't blame you for not wanting surgery, but what other options are there? If things are "moving freely" and you have bone on bone??? I mean that's not GOOD!
Please tell me you're NOT going to a Chiro!!!

Whatever you decide, please keep us informed, will you? God bless & please take good care of yourself gatorhead! WE need you around here! Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
gatorhead (11-20-2012), ginnie (11-20-2012), mg neck prob (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 07:03 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[QUOTE=mg neck prob;933258]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg neck prob View Post

Gator one ? for you I been having extreme muscle twitching....did u have that after your acdf??
YES and still do!
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (11-27-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 07:04 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

OH NO CHIRO for me lol.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:08 PM #6
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default No chiropractic

At this point in time if you are bone on bone, with grinding etc. It isn't a good time for chiropractic at all. You should be cleared to do that from a neuro surgeon. I wasn't hep on surgery myself, but the alternative was worse. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I just reread what I typed earlier and to clarify a medical subluxation can be visibly seen on any imaging study, where as a chiropractic subluxation is easily maneuvered back into place and is no where near the degree of a medical subluxation. A spondy would be a type of medical subluxation. I see where I caused the confusion

Also a little outside of topic but not so much. Not all Chiro's are the same. There are varying studies and manipulations, practices and theories used. Kinda like having a public defender vs. Shapiro you have you good and your bad and the good really do have their place in medicine. The good ones are hard to find, and they know their limits and will abide by those. They know they aren't a cure for everything and they know when they can no longer help. I have had both experiences, with the better (one of the best) really helping me along the way. I couldn't breathe or walk after my accident and the doctors wanted to throw pills at me and little by little the DC was able to help me get back to my feet, kept the pain levels tolerable and was instrumental in providing physical therapy as well as massage therapy. He coordinated everything and then also reviewed and advised as to my other treatment. I could go on for hours about how doctors are and what they are motivated by, but you all have been where I am and you know what the good and the bad are like. I appreciate you all One last time tho, I am not being treated by a chiropractor good or bad, those days are beyond me
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (11-21-2012), mg neck prob (11-27-2012)