Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 11:08 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Need Help Deciphering Lumbar spine MRI

Indication: Numbness of legs

Technique: MRI lumbar spine with sagittal and axial T1 and T2
weighted images, postcontrast sagittal and axial T1-weighted images.

Contrast: 11 mL Multihance IV.

Findings: Alignment is near-anatomic. Vertebral body and disk
heights relatively preserved. No suspicious focal T1 dark marrow
lesions. Small Schmorl's nodes are noted at some levels for example
superior endplate L3. No significant compromise of the canal or
neural foramina at any level. Distal cord and conus is within normal
limits position T12/L1 and roots of cauda equina appear within normal
limits.

Probable nerve root sheath cyst noted along the extraforaminal S1
nerve root and to a lesser extent S2 nerve roots more proximal, not
uncommonly seen.

No abnormal enhancement cord, cauda equina, or coverings.

Impression: Unremarkable MRI lumbar spine except for probable nerve
root sheath cysts associated with right S1 greater than S2 nerve
roots, not uncommonly seen. No explanation for bilateral lower
extremity numbness.
wllwrt4fd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-20-2012, 02:28 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hmmm ~ According to this, you just have a couple of cysts on the covering of the nerve roots which are pretty common. This wouldn't accord for your numbness.

I think I'd take my films and have another radiologist read them if I were you. Now I'm not sure if you'll get one to do it. They're kinda "funny" about that from what I hear, but they might do it for a small fee. I really don't know. I've never had this happen.

There MUST be something that would explain your leg numbness. And it has to be in the spine! Perhaps they need to look higher up -- although I doubt it.

See what another radiologist has to say, and let us know ok? I'd be REALLY interested in this, so PLEASE let me know, huh? Thanks. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
wllwrt4fd (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 02:40 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
Hmmm ~ According to this, you just have a couple of cysts on the covering of the nerve roots which are pretty common. This wouldn't accord for your numbness.

I think I'd take my films and have another radiologist read them if I were you. Now I'm not sure if you'll get one to do it. They're kinda "funny" about that from what I hear, but they might do it for a small fee. I really don't know. I've never had this happen.

There MUST be something that would explain your leg numbness. And it has to be in the spine! Perhaps they need to look higher up -- although I doubt it.

See what another radiologist has to say, and let us know ok? I'd be REALLY interested in this, so PLEASE let me know, huh? Thanks. Hugs, Lee

Can you suggest any doctors that I could maybe talk to? I'm seeing one at Upenn, but he's stumped too, so I'm wondering if I should try someone else. I figure the more eyes on it the better chance I have. Do you have any ideas of people I could reach out to, who might be able to help?
wllwrt4fd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:45 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Doctors can't read these any better than you or I can most of the time. You'd be better of having a radiologist telling you what's going on. See if you can make an appointment with one at a nearby hospital -- NOT the same one where you had THIS done. Somewhere different, so you won't get the same radiologist, cause I'm not sure THIS guy read this correctly. I don't know for sure, but you just never know! I'd rather you see another radiologist who knows his stuff.
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:39 AM #5
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Is there a possibility--

--that this is a peripheral nerve problem, rather than one associated with some problem in the spinal cord or adjacent nerve roots? Symptoms caused by peripheral neuropathy can be difficult to distinguish from those caused by spinal cord or nerve root compromise.

I should think that there should at least be some testing for peripheral nerve disorders. We have list of these at the Peripheral Neuropathy forum; one or the most comprehensive are the Liza Jane spreadsheets:

www.lizajane.org

Or at the forum here:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread177.html

You probably should do some reading at the peripheral neuropathy section here anyway, and definitely check to see how extensive your non-imaging testing has been.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote