Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 01:11 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Posterior Cervical fusion C5-C6-C7

Anybody had the surgery through the back of the neck to fuse
C5-C6-C7. I had an ACDF done in May 2010 only to find out this
past year that the fusions didn't take. After going to three doctors,
the responses were, there was a 50% chance it would work, doctor 2 said to avoid surgery, and doctor 3 said I had an 80% chance it would work. Just
curious if anyone else has gone through this surgery and their experience...
Thanks.
im4indiana is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (11-27-2012)

advertisement
Old 11-27-2012, 02:30 PM #2
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hello Indiana

so sorry this happened to you. Did they give you a reason why you failed to fuse? I had anterior fusions C3-7 have long rods and brackets in. What are they telling you to do now? Do you have a plate or rods in? I am here to talk to. You can also post your last MRI report, and some of us can help you with it. I really hope there is a solution for you, to where your neck can feel better. I am very familiar with the pain it causes, so I am hoping more can be done for you. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 04:24 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4indiana View Post
Anybody had the surgery through the back of the neck to fuse
C5-C6-C7. I had an ACDF done in May 2010 only to find out this
past year that the fusions didn't take. After going to three doctors,
the responses were, there was a 50% chance it would work, doctor 2 said to avoid surgery, and doctor 3 said I had an 80% chance it would work. Just
curious if anyone else has gone through this surgery and their experience...
Thanks.
Hi Indiana--I had acdf same level back in 7-2010 ---I was told recently im 100% fused---went back to do another mri because i been having shoulder the worst problem, also biceps,and some neck pain. Now-- my brother went back the previous years for posterior fusion and the intial week afer surgery he said was more painful then acdf. Its a bit harder to cut thru muscle-- However after a month he was back to work and he is 50's with 3 kids and doing very well. His symptoms are much better then mine. Every blue moon he has a flare up that last a few days. Just curious what symptoms did u get back to make u find out you were not fused? I was always under the impression if you didint fuse surgery was required? I dont blame you-- look
3 doctors are all conflicting.....how bad do you feel now? Wow.. Im sorry your going thru this right now.
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (11-27-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 03:29 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was ACDF 4-6, NOW 4-7 due to same thing. C5-6 was a malunion, or what they deem as pseudoarthrosis. We couldn't figure out if it had fused and broken or never fused at all. It had spent some time in there knocking around and was extremely painfull at times when it it would get into certain positions. There were A LOT of Doctors that looked at it, saw it, and then ignored it. I finally found one that took care of it and went back in through the front redid the first surgery, then performed his own at C6-7 and then locked it all down with a 3 level titanium plate. I was told I had EXCELLENT Bone quality, however I am battling arthritis with a lot of spurring. I had to wear a bone growth stimulator post second surgery and NO J COLLAR!

From dealing with this and having to be my own advocate I came across the FDA recommended guideline for pseudoarthrosis. It suggests that if fusion isn't achieved within 8 months then surgical intervention should be obtained. Now some Doc's I talked with said that the graft was contained and it really couldn't move or slip or be of any danger. I totally disagree! I could feel mine moving around, and it caused a lot of damage that I am dealing with now. It also was quite painful!
Hope that helps with some of it, but I couldn't speak to the posterior effects at all.
gatorhead is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (12-05-2012), im4indiana (12-05-2012), mg neck prob (11-28-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Stimulator

I had anterior c4-7 complete with plate and screws but what I wanted to ask is if they suggested the bone stimulator for you. Because of the Multi-level, I was given one to use daily for six months. Given the Multi-level, if you have it corrected check into the stimulator. The one prescribed for me was spinalogic. God's best to you..
Delaine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (12-05-2012), im4indiana (12-05-2012), mg neck prob (12-06-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

i know how you all are feeling,my doctor went adifferent route with me.they put me on,gabapetin,tramadol and nerve block injection.they said surgery would not be recommended till a last resort
don1956 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (12-05-2012), im4indiana (12-05-2012), mg neck prob (12-06-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Grin reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg neck prob View Post
Hi Indiana--I had acdf same level back in 7-2010 ---I was told recently im 100% fused---went back to do another mri because i been having shoulder the worst problem, also biceps,and some neck pain. Now-- my brother went back the previous years for posterior fusion and the intial week afer surgery he said was more painful then acdf. Its a bit harder to cut thru muscle-- However after a month he was back to work and he is 50's with 3 kids and doing very well. His symptoms are much better then mine. Every blue moon he has a flare up that last a few days. Just curious what symptoms did u get back to make u find out you were not fused? I was always under the impression if you didint fuse surgery was required? I dont blame you-- look
3 doctors are all conflicting.....how bad do you feel now? Wow.. Im sorry your going thru this right now.
After two years from surgery, I noticed that there was quite a bit of popping going on when I moved my neck from side to side. I went in to see the original doctor who did my surgery, they did some xrays of my neck and it clearly showed that the bone they took from my hip for fusion in my neck was inbetween the C5-C6, C6-C7 vertebrae, but there was a gap between both ends...I've been to three different doctors and they said they same thing, that the vertebrae failed to fuse. The pain has returned, I have good days and bad days. My neurologist has put me on Lyrica 225 and Hydrocodone 10-660. I really don't want to be on pills. I've had three cervical spine blocks done in the C5-C6, C6-C7 area over the past two years. They usually block the pain for about a week to 10 days....My options, as I see it are limited. Either opt for the surgery, have spinal blocks about every 3 months (all my insurance will cover) or live on pain pills forever....getting old sucks....
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (12-05-2012), mg neck prob (12-06-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 12:12 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1956 View Post
i know how you all are feeling,my doctor went adifferent route with me.they put me on,gabapetin,tramadol and nerve block injection.they said surgery would not be recommended till a last resort
That's about where I am. When the pain comes, I'm ready to go...Have a lot of pain inbetween my shoulder blades just under my neck. Those muscles on either side of my spine knot up. I've gone through a lot of Biofreeze the last two years. Need to be a sponsor for them....
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (12-06-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 12:14 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg neck prob View Post
Having a lot of pain, but I do have an occasional good day. My neurologist put me on Lyrica 225 and Hydrocone 10-660. They help some but there are THOSE days where you just want to say, I give....
"Thanks for this!" says:
gatorhead (12-06-2012), mg neck prob (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 12:37 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Dealing with a lot of the same symptoms and a new set of Doctor's and a pain management doctor who is reluctant to give pain meds. I am fed up with it as I have no other alternatives.
gatorhead is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote