Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 10:41 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Need Thoracic Disc Surgery

Hi all.
T8-9 is pressing into my spinal cord. I have had numbness, electric shocks, and huge muscle spasms in my chest, gut, and legs for over two years and now I finally know why. Dr. Eltahawy, a neurosurgeon in Detroit, is doing my surgery in January. I am wondering if anyone knows of a neurosurgeon that is experienced in this type of surgery. Knowing how rarely these surgeries are done makes me quite nervous. Thanks!
grade2teacher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (11-29-2012)

advertisement
Old 11-29-2012, 10:53 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Why are you looking for another surgeon? Don't you want the surgeon in Detroit to do it? Hasn't he done alot of these?

Most surgeons do NOT like to do thoracic surgeries because it's too close to major organs and it's a very difficult surgery. If your surgeon has done these before and is experienced in it, I would stay with him. I'm afraid I don't know of anyone -- you might look for someone in Ann Arbor, and the University Hospital. I'm sure THEY'VE done many thoracic surgeries!!! They've done everything there!

I wish you the very best. Please let us know how it comes out, will you PLEASE? We'd really like to know. God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (11-29-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 03:50 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grade2teacher View Post
Hi all.
T8-9 is pressing into my spinal cord. I have had numbness, electric shocks, and huge muscle spasms in my chest, gut, and legs for over two years and now I finally know why. Dr. Eltahawy, a neurosurgeon in Detroit, is doing my surgery in January. I am wondering if anyone knows of a neurosurgeon that is experienced in this type of surgery. Knowing how rarely these surgeries are done makes me quite nervous. Thanks!
I don't live in the US so I can't help with surgeons but I can tell .you that I underwent a transthoracic thoracotomy in July for the same condition at T7/8. The surgery was huge as it involves many fields eg lung, ribs etc just to get to the site. The relief from having the disc excised has been incredible. I no longer have the electrical tingles and awful spasms down my left leg. My herniation compressed my cord and the risk was that if it moved further it would have caused permanent damage. As it is I still have an indentation in my spinal cord from it being compressed but I have been told that it will right itself over perhaps another 18 months or so.
I still have discomfort from the surgery. My left arm and shoulder are still problematic from being stretched over my head for four hours to allow access through my ribs and my ribs are still uncomfortable especially when I first get up in the morning. But the important thing I keep reminding myself is that I am able to move and really I am incredibly lucky. I returned to teaching this term which has been a challenge. I also still have numbness and my legs don't feel right as yet but that is all to do with the indentation in my cord. So everything is done carefully and I still get incredibly tired.
My advice to you is if you trust the surgeon and you are at the point where really life so uncomfortable you really have to have the surgery. You will feel very uncomfortable from the surgery itself but you will also feel tremendous relief from your symptoms. I certainly have. Thoracic disc problems like this are not common. Usually the result of an accident. Mine just happened - I also have had four surgeries on my neck over the last twenty years so I have obviously got a problem with my discs and my biggest fear was that my spine would start to go down like a deck of cards. But I am working with my physio and doing all the right things as I have always done and as I said before I am really incredibly lucky because it could have been a hell of a lot worse in terms of outcome.
It is not an easy position to be in. Keep in touch.
ejwblibby is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default thoracic laminectomy

What kind of surgery are you having?

I can't help you with a surgeon in your area, but I had laminectomies with fusion and instrumentation at the T-3/4 and T-9/10 levels in early Sept and then followed up with the same at the L2-S1 levels in mid-Nov to resolve sever spinal compression at those levels. The thoracic surgery was more painful initially, but I saw much more significant progress during the recovery with it than I'm currently seeing with the lumbar surgery. I saw immediate relief from the thoracic surgery and am glad I went through with it. Not all pain/weekness has been resolved, but it's still early and expect more progress to come.

I chose the neurosurgeon I used because he specializes in spinal disorders and so does a lot of these. I researched him as best I could and did not find any complaints or sanctions levied against him and got high recommendations from some neurologists and GPs. Be aware that because the thoracic spinal area is more sensitive, my surgeon used some extra monitoring during the surgery to ensure that he wasn't doing anything to cause any damage. The problem was that that was not covered in whole under my insurance and I've been hit with an additional $4,000 bill I wasn't expecting. So make sure you understand exactly what is being done and what is covered by your insurance and what you'll be charged.

Hope things go well for you! Let us know how you do....
lal209 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote