Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 11:26 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Info on Kyphoplasty for Compression #T8

Hello
My MRI has shown I have a compression fracture of T8 with a Haemangioma complication on the vertebrae. My fracture was due to a fall in Sep this year but has only showed up now. My spec said to re- x-ray in two wks and to have conservative treatment for 4-6wks. I was in agony at that time. He said he was very reluctant to go in with surgery as it was so risky! I was re-x-rayed on fri just gone after two wks and was feeling so much better pain wise. But he told me my vertebrae had collapsed further it was now 50%. He started to talk to me about having a Kyphoplasty. And from what I understand its a procedure where-by they go into either side of the vertebrae using x-ray guidance blowing up a balloon on the inside of either side of the vertebrae to lift the vertebrae and then inject a 'cement' into the space. The temperature of the cement is about 50d and this dissolves the haemangioma in the vertebrae. I understand the risk although rare to be leakage of the cement or the needle moving off course both leading to paralysis. Has anyone had/or knows of this problem & procedure. I would be grateful for any info.
Thank you
Hollee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-02-2012, 10:50 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollee View Post
Hello
My MRI has shown I have a compression fracture of T8 with a Haemangioma complication on the vertebrae. My fracture was due to a fall in Sep this year but has only showed up now. My spec said to re- x-ray in two wks and to have conservative treatment for 4-6wks. I was in agony at that time. He said he was very reluctant to go in with surgery as it was so risky! I was re-x-rayed on fri just gone after two wks and was feeling so much better pain wise. But he told me my vertebrae had collapsed further it was now 50%. He started to talk to me about having a Kyphoplasty. And from what I understand its a procedure where-by they go into either side of the vertebrae using x-ray guidance blowing up a balloon on the inside of either side of the vertebrae to lift the vertebrae and then inject a 'cement' into the space. The temperature of the cement is about 50d and this dissolves the haemangioma in the vertebrae. I understand the risk although rare to be leakage of the cement or the needle moving off course both leading to paralysis. Has anyone had/or knows of this problem & procedure. I would be grateful for any info.
Thank you
The few I've seen done had results that were nothing less than miraculous. That said, I am aware of one case where there PM doc didn't use bi-planar fluoroscopy, missed and injected the hot cement into somewhere it shouldn't have been and it leaked into the central canal destroying the cord and paralysing the patient from that level, down.

Not pretty....
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thank you for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
The few I've seen done had results that were nothing less than miraculous. That said, I am aware of one case where there PM doc didn't use bi-planar fluoroscopy, missed and injected the hot cement into somewhere it shouldn't have been and it leaked into the central canal destroying the cord and paralysing the patient from that level, down.

Not pretty....
EEK..very scary!! I am getting a second opinion from a Neuro-surgeon. Did you know these people that had it done?
Hollee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:47 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollee View Post
EEK..very scary!! I am getting a second opinion from a Neuro-surgeon. Did you know these people that had it done?
yes.......!
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote