Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 10:48 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused back surgery and neuropathy

In short, was in car accident and had my first back surgery in98 removing 2.shattered discs L4& L5. Had my 2nd a year ago 12/11 back fusion L4, L5,S1, 7 titanium screws, plate and
3 plastic.discs. The neuropathy, especially my feet, is killing me. I've tried neurontan, sp? And Lyrica..both caused.my feet to swell. I take one Norco 10 and baclofen 10mg a.day most of the time. I feel like I'm a med head. Does anybody have any advise?.Alternatives? Told the Dr..it feels like I'm walking on gravel. He said "oh I've heard marbles, but not gravel. Your fused.and your done." Wow, I guess I'm not communicating well.
djaypapaross is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-28-2012, 11:22 AM #2
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi djaypapaross

I want to say hello. I am not sure I liked the comment you doctor said to you. Not having compassion, just saying you are done, isn't much on the "hope" side....The meds. you are taking can and do make a "med head" I couldn't take those two. Please seek yet another opinion, and see what can be done about the PN. I have it in my feet and go to a psyciatrist, who deal with PN, and just about every other kind of pain from a cellular level. I take B12 injections, Co Q 10 and R Lipoic acid. I have made impovements. I do wish you all the best, and hope you will seek another physician. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
djaypapaross (12-28-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Check out the peripheral neuropathy forum. I've actually been checking that one out a ton over the past couple months and just gravitated here today wondering if I could get more info here on my issue. There are a couple people in that forum that will give you some great advice to deal with your PN.

And from what I've read, people with neuropathy have all kinds of different feelings, wet, burning, stabbing, buzzy, etc. For your doc to brush off the gravel comment was horrible. I tried Gabapentin but it made me stupid and didn't work well. Currently trying Oxcarbazapine (sp?) and it seems to be working better than the Gaba, so far.
chaos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-28-2012, 01:20 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ I know how you feel, and it's miserable. I HATED Neurontin. It made me gain about 20lbs of water. So my doc switched me to Topamax, and that works great! That was a long time ago and I'm still on it along with Lyrica. Between the two, I don't have ANY more symptoms of neuropathy. No more burning, tingling, zaps, or anything. I do have numb feet most of the time, and I can't tell whether the bath water is hot or cold. I do have sciatica, tho and that sucks.

Perhaps the Topamax would help you. You might ask your doc about it. I think it's great! God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

Tags
djay