Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 01:12 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs down New Prospective

I have been dealing with my lower spine and sciatica for many many years. Its been at least 14. I just had my girlfriends cousin pass away on the 28th of December. He fought large cell carcenoma for 2 years. Reason I am discussing this is he had it growing in his body for the entire first year when he complained about symptoms. His family doc didnt run the necessary test because "his insurance is a pain to get that test approved". Lesson I have seriously learned is "NOBODY" will look out for your health more then you! With a disease like cancer, the earlier you catch it, the better your odds of beating it and because of the late start on treatment, he lost his battle. Now there is a 33 year old widow raising twin 4 year old boys because the doc was too lazy to do what was needed to test him, all because the insurance made it difficult. Dont take 1 opinion as fact. Educate yourself with your problems and what treatments are available, and never let someone bully you into not receiving the best possible care! Here is to a better year in 2013 and some relief in pain for all those that need help.
bmatz25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
gatorhead (01-05-2013), Leesa (01-03-2013), mg neck prob (01-03-2013)

advertisement
Old 01-03-2013, 06:20 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I learned the hardway even Doctors I really like and respect-- have been so wrong ---I will never again put 100% trust in any DR ---only when diagnostic test are done. My cancer was diagnosed a year later from seeing DR numerous times -- in fact I almost had to have my leg amputed over it. My neck I complained 6 months of extreme pain before I could even get a MRI. Once I did was-- wow 4 disc are pressing spinal cord ==then to be told my g.p thats what I thought it may have been all along ===really then why the f=== did u send me to chiro for 4months-- I wasted another year of my life in pain 24/7 before even getting into surgery. You hit the nail on the head with medical community---follow your own gut. Never let yourself be treated with out having diagnotic test to confirm illness. If you feel your DR ignores your concerns....fight for your rights or find another doctor. This is a sore topic for me. Now my g.p never thinks twice when I complain. I know medicine is a practice and I dont expect a DR to play God---but I due think test like mri are not ran because medicine has become political and the insurance companies dictate to doctors .....it sad. You --100% have to be your own advocate.
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bmatz25 (01-07-2013), gatorhead (01-05-2013), glenntaj (01-03-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I can second everything said here! I am walking proof of how wrong they can be!
gatorhead is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bmatz25 (01-07-2013), mg neck prob (01-29-2013)