Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 01:25 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default still in pain

So on August 29, 2012 I had a 3 level fusion c3 thru c6. Performed by a neurosurgeon. when I woke I was numb in both hands(before it was only one, left) tons of pain on norco 10/325mg, flexerill and now ibprophen 800 mg 2xs daily. I am in constant pain. I still am not working, driving or doing much of anything without help. Dr says everything looks good. He has sent me for a ct scan to see what is going on however my insurance co didnt get the request until 2 weeks after my appt and with my insurance requiring prior auth for EVERYTHING it may take up to 2 weeks. My surgeon has now stopped my pain meds calling ina script for naproxin instead. I have tried almost all antinflamatories they do help but tear up my tummy. BUt they work WITH the norco! We made an appt again for tomorrow afternoon so we can hopefully prescribe them again. In so many ways I am waaaaaay worse than before surgery.I was in a lot of pain yes horrible but was still working and doing everything. Even though it was constant pain it seemed not as bad as now. ugh!!!!!!! What do I do? What do I say????? Thank goodness my husband will be with me.
mrsalkire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (01-06-2013)

advertisement
Old 01-06-2013, 02:18 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsalkire View Post
So on August 29, 2012 I had a 3 level fusion c3 thru c6. Performed by a neurosurgeon. when I woke I was numb in both hands(before it was only one, left) tons of pain on norco 10/325mg, flexerill and now ibprophen 800 mg 2xs daily. I am in constant pain. I still am not working, driving or doing much of anything without help. Dr says everything looks good. He has sent me for a ct scan to see what is going on however my insurance co didnt get the request until 2 weeks after my appt and with my insurance requiring prior auth for EVERYTHING it may take up to 2 weeks. My surgeon has now stopped my pain meds calling ina script for naproxin instead. I have tried almost all antinflamatories they do help but tear up my tummy. BUt they work WITH the norco! We made an appt again for tomorrow afternoon so we can hopefully prescribe them again. In so many ways I am waaaaaay worse than before surgery.I was in a lot of pain yes horrible but was still working and doing everything. Even though it was constant pain it seemed not as bad as now. ugh!!!!!!! What do I do? What do I say????? Thank goodness my husband will be with me.
You might ask your PCP about a scrip or two for the norco until you square things with your neurosurgeon. Also inquire about the possiblity of post-surgical CRPS and/or a referral to pain management...
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:51 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
You might ask your PCP about a scrip or two for the norco until you square things with your neurosurgeon. Also inquire about the possiblity of post-surgical CRPS and/or a referral to pain management...
Dubious what is CRPS? I know I have other options Im just scared hes not going to help me. Not really the pain meds its the situation. Im scared now and feel alone. My family is awesome but they dont know what to think anymore.
mrsalkire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:45 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

CRPS is Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. I have a hard time remembering it too. LOL

I agree with Dubious that you should ask your regular doc for some Norco to get you by. This Naproxin is just going to hurt your tummy too, probably. All these anti-inflamatories are rough on the stomach! The Norco should help a little.

Do you get the results of the CT scan tomorrow? I sure hope so. Ask everything you can think of -- like what's going on? Why is the pain so bad? Is everything in place? Is there an infection?

Let us know what happens, okay? I wish you the very best. Hope to hear from you soon. God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dubious (01-06-2013), ginnie (01-06-2013), mrsalkire (01-07-2013)