Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 12:02 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Introduction and history of back pain.

This is a long history (well, the timeline, anyway). Two car accidents in the late 1980's, once hit by a car while I was stopped at a light. Again as a passenger in icy conditions. My sister stopped the car, the one behind her slid right into us at probably 40mph. My PCP gave me a few muscle relaxants and that was it. No xray or MRI. 2001 someone hit me again, but lightly. Bad enough to damage my car but again, I didn't seek medical treatment. And yes, another one in 2008, this time by a large pickup while my head was turned. I tried to get treatment but was told by a neurosurgeon that he didn't see any cause for my pain.

I've worked as an underwriter for, geez, 27 years. It was all paper files until 1999. Once everything was computerized I developed a lot of hand pain that doctors could not explain. Poor posture didn't help, of course. It continued to get worse every year.

My husband & I moved in early 2010 and repainted most of our old house and then the new house. A lot of lifting, as well. Enough that I tore my rotator cuff & had that repaired. And may I say that was excruciating! Slept in a recliner for 3 months and hurt for over a year. I went back to work 2 weeks after surgery.

Last May, I got up, went into my office (employer had most of us working at home) and had difficulty raising my arms. The pain from my neck/back all the way to my fingers was horrible. The closest fit to that sort of pain was thoracic outlet syndrome, but that was ruled out. So I had to resign from my job. Now, the pain is greatly improved, but only because I don't DO anything. A little light housework & that's it. My husband does all the driving, lifting vacuuming, etc. Not working is hard - we miss the income and I hate being dependent on anyone for anything, even my husband.

The pain is a constant dull ache - there is never a time that it is completely gone. Can't sit in a straight back chair for more than an hour, same with standing or typing.

So there you go, folks! My MRI results are in another post. EMG is normal. Any opinions on what could be wrong are welcome. The doctors at a loss. Myelopathy, maybe?
Holles is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-12-2013, 05:45 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I still say the foraminal stenosis, and the flattening of the cord are something to "look" at. I don't understand why the Neuro's say this is "normal." Or that everything is Ok. HUH?

How many Neuro's have you seen? Just one? I'd see another, and maybe 2. Or perhaps an Ortho surgeon. Get more opinions. And perhaps you can suggest the studies that Dubious mentioned in his reply. Those might help in finding exactly what's going on.

I wish you the very best. I know how frustrating this is. I went thru #%$#@ for a very long time trying to get SOME diagnosis. So don't give up. God bless and take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Holles (01-13-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 06:31 PM #3
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi Holles

I am agreeing with leesa. Go in for another opinion. That kind of pain isn't normal. I am sorry this happened to you. I will look at your post of the MRI as well. I do hope the pain diminishes and that this can be resolved. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Holles (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 06:54 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm so sorry for what you're going through!

I had foraminal stenosis to the left as well. I was in the worst pain I could imagine for four months until I had surgery. I can't imagine it continuing without a chance of relief. My pain was so severe that the doctors said I was a walking stroke or heart attack due to the fact that the pain was affecting b/p and heart rate so much.

Please go for another opinion. I promise you don't have to live in that kind of pain. My surgery saved me for sure. It was such an easy surgery for me and the pain afterward was a one compared to before...and that includes immediately following surgery!

There are some risks to having cervical surgery, some my NS didn't mention, so keep close with questions, ask NS lots of questions and read up online!

As for the contact with the cord, I would have a second opinion on that as well.

Good luck and please check in to let us know!
forevernana4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (01-13-2013), Holles (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 10:34 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Saw just one neurosurgeon back in 2009. I looked up his "rating" info today and it appears he is habitually dismissive. I have another appt with my physiatrist at the end of this month - really hope he's figured something out. Pain I can live with - not knowing what is going on or why it's getting worse is what's freaking me out.
Holles is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:41 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm dealing with some of the same things you are so I understand completely. Yes, the pain I'm living with, the symptoms progressing and fears I have are doing me in almost.

My MRI report is in another thread here where I also show a flattening along with other things, so I surely understand.

Let us know how this next visit goes. Maybe it's time for a referral to a new neuro?

Take care.
forevernana4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Holles (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 AM #7
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi holles and friends.

Yes a physiatrist is who I go to. Pain was greatly reduced, and they will refer you to another neuro. Best decision I ever made. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Holles (01-14-2013)