Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 07:03 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Cool Please Help w MRI results Lower Back Pain

Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone could help interpret this MRI. I'm 42. When I play basketball or workout (more and more infrequently now because of the effects), my back swells. This time, I couldn't walk for 2 days from a half hour workout. My whole lower back is hugely swollen. Hard to stand. I got an MRI and the results are below. I want to know if anyone has any experience reading this? Anything I should be concerned about?

And most importantly, any ideas on what I can specifically do to repair it? Exercises, yoga, stretching, swimming, sleeping methods, etc? I don't want to reaggravate but I would like to strengthen the area. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

MAGNETIC RESONANCE IMAGING OF THE LUMBAR SPINE:

FINDINGS:
There is a slight broad right apical curvature and loss of lordosis. There is no evidence of fracture. The conus is not low lying.

T12-L1 through L2-3: There is no stenosis or disk herniation.

L3-4: There is a 3-4 mm broad leftward bulge or protrusion with mild to moderate left neural foraminal stenosis. The central canal is nonstenotic.

L4-5: There is decreased disk signal and space height. There is a 3-mm broad leftward bulge with mild left neural foraminal stenosis. The central canal is mild to moderately stenotic.

L5-S1: There is a 3-4 mm left greater than right bulge or protrusion with moderate left greater than right neural foraminal stenosis. The disk indents the thecal sac with mild central canal narrowing.

IMPRESSION:
* There is a slight broad right apical curvature and loss of lordosis.
* L4-5: There is decreased disk signal and space height. There is a 3-mm broad leftward bulge with mild left neural foraminal stenosis. The central canal is mild to moderately stenotic.
* L3-4: There is a 3-4 mm broad leftward bulge or protrusion with mild to moderate left neural foraminal stenosis. The central canal is nonstenotic.
* L5-S1: There is a 3-4 mm left greater than right bulge or protrusion with moderate left greater than right neural foraminal stenosis. The disk indents the thecal sac with mild central canal narrowing.
backinback2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'll try to help with this:

T12 - L2 ~ Looks fine

L3 - L4 A 3-4 mm bulge or herniation (which one?) and loss of lordosis (Lordosis is where your neck doesn't have the proper curve) There is mild to moderate neural foraminal stenosis. The foramen are the holes that the nerves pass thru to get to the spinal cord -- these are narrowed.

L4--5 There is decreased signal. That means that the "electrical activity" is decreased. The disc space height is also decreased, meaning that you probably have degenerative disc disease. That's when the discs dry out and that makes them flatten and bulge. When they flatten, the vertebra above "drop down" as there nothing to hold it up, and it gets closer to the vertebra below so there's not much space between the two vertebrae (bones). Also, there is a 3mm broad bulge with mild foraminal stenosis (see above). The disc indents the thecal sac. The thecal sac is a membrane of dura matter that surrounds the spinal cord and cauda equina. The thecal sac is filled with cerebral spinal fluid. The central spinal canal is mild to moderately stenotic -- meaning that it is narrowing.

L5 - S1 There is a 3-4 mm bulge or protrusion (which?) with neural foraminal stenosis (see above) The disc indents the thecal sac with mild central canal narrowing. (see above)

Keep in mind that I'M NO DOCTOR. I just have a knack for interpreting these things. But first, your doctor SHOULD have gone over this with you and if he didn't SHAME on him!!! He should have told you what he thought, and explained this to you. Did he give you any idea what he thought you should do???

Looking at this, I would personally ask for a referral to physical therapy. For one thing, later studies have shown that people who have had surgery have gotten the SAME results as people who have had physical therapy! Scary thought, isn't it? People have had unnecessary surgery many times!

Anyway, many many times, pain can be relieved much better with physical therapy. MOST OF THE TIME, after surgery you're left with the same pain or worse. Surgery is ONLY for mechanical problems. It is NOT for pain. Doctors do NOT tell their patients that. Why would they? They want the $$$. Also, with surgery you have the danger of the "Domino Effect." After surgery, the levels above & below the surgery site will fail, because they've had to take on more of the load. It almost always happens. My doctor didn't tell me -- and low and behold, I ended up having to have more surgery. This was before the internet, so i had no one to talk to and no way to really research. If I had it to do over again, I NEVER would have surgery in the first place -- never!!! I'm now disabled because of it. In fact, I was disabled at 46 yrs old. I'm now almost 64 yrs old. It's been a mighty BORING 18 YRS.

Get at LEAST 2, preferably 3 more opinions before opting for surgery. You need to really be sure what you're doing! It's a permanent decision! Best of luck and if you have any more questions, let me know. And let US know what happens, ok? Thanks and God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
back pain, lumbar, lumbar disk herniations, lumbars stenosis, mri