Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Terrified new member-C5-7 surgery scheduled

I got terrific advice from two very friendly members and posted this in the correct site. I have to go back and look at both of their names. Thank you!

Please, don't flame me. I just got the orders yesterday. Globus Cage and Atlantis Vision Elite Plate are mentioned. I'm trying to do my research but it's confusing. Can someone please tell me how this is different from a graft? Thank you so much.
Murphy
Murphyrocks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (01-28-2013)

advertisement
Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ A graft is where they either take bone from your hip (very painful) or from a cadaver and fuse it to your spine to take care of the problem.

A "cage" is where they put this "cage-like" thingy between the vertebra to take the place of the disc. They have to remove all of the disc to do this. Then the cage retains the space between the vertebra.

I'm sorry that I'm not familiar with the "elite plate." Hopefully someone else can help you with that.

Best of luck! Take care & God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

HI Murphyrocks;

Hi welcome, I know your scared of this surgery but I will tell you I had it in 7-2010 and have no regrets. Your having c5-c7 this is considered a 2 level fusion. What they do is the globus cage is mostly made of titanium or a carbon fibre and the cage is filled with autologous or (bone material) usually filled from cadaver bone. The elite plate --picture it like a door hinge ---in your case it will have 6 screwes most likey for a dble fusion . I had a three level fusion c4 thru c7. They use it to stablize the vertabrae or cause ossification meaning joing two bones to acheive a sold fusion. I was in so much pain prior to surgery I actually looked forward to the surgery and the one thing I will tell you most of us were very scared before this surgery but to be honest looking back my hardest time was pain before surgery. After surgery it was a major relief for me. I assume you have had at least 2 consults before considering this surgery. Not sure of all your ? u may have but feel free to ask as many as you may need. Please try not to fear it I feel I wasted so much time fearing the worse and the healing for me was not bad at all!!
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:06 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[wanted to add this sorry to my reply

Outcome measure CFC group Autograft group
General function
Improved 24(73%) 12 (55%)
Same 7 (21%) 6 (27%)
Worse 2 (6%) 4 (18%)
Arm pain
Improved 23(70%) 13 (59%)
Same 8 (24%) 6 (27%)
Worse 2 (6%) 3 (14%)

The stats are good in both ---instead of a graft where they use you own bone are the same if not better with the cages and you eliminate the donor pain from your hip. The other thing I have read is when they do MRI after surgery with the cages they get a better vizualization of the spinal cord and roots. Sometimes surgeons is your long term smoker or still smoke suggest your own bone but I know many ppl that still used cages ---and got a bone growth stimulator during there recovery which is basically looks like a horse collar u where around your neck for 4 hrs a day and u dont feel anything its just another tool they used to help achieve a solid fusion usually rec that if you smoke or were having a multi level fusion.
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:12 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg neck prob View Post
[wanted to add this sorry to my reply

Outcome measure CFC group Autograft group
General function
Improved 24(73%) 12 (55%)
Same 7 (21%) 6 (27%)
Worse 2 (6%) 4 (18%)
Arm pain
Improved 23(70%) 13 (59%)
Same 8 (24%) 6 (27%)
Worse 2 (6%) 3 (14%)

The stats are good in both ---instead of a graft where they use you own bone are the same if not better with the cages and you eliminate the donor pain from your hip. The other thing I have read is when they do MRI after surgery with the cages they get a better vizualization of the spinal cord and roots. Sometimes surgeons is your long term smoker or still smoke suggest your own bone but I know many ppl that still used cages ---and got a bone growth stimulator during there recovery which is basically looks like a horse collar u where around your neck for 4 hrs a day and u dont feel anything its just another tool they used to help achieve a solid fusion usually rec that if you smoke or were having a multi level fusion.
I had no pain from the bone material which was extracted from my own hip which was put in my cages in 2005. They also now have bone stimulators that u only have to use for a half hour a day (the newer versions).
Make sure u have had a few opinions from board certified osteo or neuro surgeons. A lot of surgery is not needed. Be conservative.!
dexy77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote